Author Topic: BLR Project just got real.  (Read 18414 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: BLR Project just got real.
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »
I think that is to localized to be called a disaster in the SHTF sense of the word, though it is a disaster for those involved.

I'd call that a bad accident and an emergency.

I think 100s of motorists stranded on a highway during a 3+ day blizzard is closer.

I think it is the element of no chance of imminent assistance that makes the difference.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

BLR Project just got real.
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
The quoted definition from Alf is pretty spot on...

Those of us in New England can have a number of disaster situations in a given year.  Hurricanes, blizzards, the occasional tornado and as evidenced after the Marathon Bombing, the complete and utter suspension of the US Constitution!

Calling 911 during a blizzard is pointless, hurricanes somewhat questionable for service.  Combine a late season hurricane with cold weather and it's a real fustercluck here regardless of preparation.

I've never been much of a "prep for disaster" kind of guy.  Most of what's been mentioned I have and will certainly augment further.  The situation in the middle east is most disturbing and has given more to be concerned about than natural disaster.  Damn scary how a small suitcase of nastiness can be dragged onto our soil and let loose on the populous.

Grindage for the grey matter...  (food for thought)   ;)

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »
For me, it's a disaster is when I'm out of bourbon. :D

Something like the flooding in Phoenix is a royal pain in the assets, but since the water supply or the basic necessities of life weren't affected, it's an annoyance, but not a disaster.

From, it's a disaster if it affects water, food, shelter, oxygen (can you say Bhopal?) or security, the same thing that I'm concerned about if I get stranded out in the wilderness. Lose any one of those, and it's a disaster.

Anyone remember what the levels of disaster/social dislocation that Michael used on Best Defense Survival?
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Anyone remember what the levels of disaster/social dislocation that Michael used on Best Defense Survival?

I've got quite a few of those queued up but haven't watched.  How about a summary?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Emergency First Aid
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
The trip to Jackson, MS was instructive last week.   Took not only my Car Kit, but the Get Home bag as well.   Of course self defense wasn't a problem since I took three guns to the competition and about 600 rounds of ammo. 

At several people's suggestion, I added major trauma items to my first aid kits.  Actually, I went a little overboard and order more Israeli bandages than I needed.   But now each car has two bandages and two clotting sponges for everyday emergencies.  Plus each Car Kit and the Get Home bag have an additional two of each.   And at Kevin's suggestion I now carry some in my range bag. 

I bring this up because at the ICORE Southern Regionals  (no, nobody was shot) one of the ROs was setting up safety areas and incurred a major puncture wound from a broken table leg.  I offered my bandages, but he opted for his own plain gauze and tape.  (After thoroughly cleaning the wound of course.)   While mine wasn't needed, it's scary how quickly an injury can occur from regular activities, and comforting that I was ready if needed.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #85 on: Today at 11:27:21 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
More settlers in the West died from things like broken legs or cutting themselves with an axe than all the Indian raids combined.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
I've got quite a few of those queued up but haven't watched.  How about a summary?

It was (and I'm going off of faded memory here) something like:

Green: Minor Social Disruption (1 day-ish)
Yellow: Serious Social Disruption (3 days)
Red: Katie, bar the door! (1 week or more).

The actual samples he used in the series escapes me, but I remember Katrina as being a Red level event.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk