Author Topic: Of 'Tac-tards' and Pistol Training  (Read 5770 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Of 'Tac-tards' and Pistol Training
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:59 AM »
Interesting blog post by Dave Spaulding........

*Thanks to Ed Head for the link to the post.

I Only Want a Special Operator to Train Me!

http://combativeskills.com/blog/?p=38

-------------------------
The dynamic involved when an armed citizen uses a handgun in defense of their life (or the lives of loved ones) is far more likely to be similar to law enforcement use of a handgun than that of a military Special Operator which is why I focus on teaching the handgun. If you want to learn how to shoot an M-4 then you should seek out one of the former military instructors…that is what most cops are doing! It is what I have done. That said, police instructors have been teaching the handgun for a long time and we know how to do it well…like the armed citizen it is our LIKELY weapon in a fight.
-------------------------
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Of 'Tac-tards' and Pistol Training
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Makes sense!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
You really can't blame folks for wanting to bring out there Inner Operator.   ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »
Who was that "tactical idiot" who had students standing down range ?

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
I agree with the piece, get the training from the person that uses the tool as a primary.

I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:45:36 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
I can learn from just about anyone, what not-to-do from people that stand down range while students shoot past them (didn't need to learn that-I figured it was common sense but who knew) to how to take down an oil platform from the Super-High Speed Ninjas that have been there (which I can use to set up a defensive perimeter around my house or identify likely avenues of approach for bad guys).

My point is training as a whole ought to be part of our lives, I'm guilty of not having had any training in a while-something I hope to rectify this summer/fall.  A good student can learn from anyone, take the best and leave the rest.  8)
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Magoo, We can do that because we already know enough to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
But  the increasing numbers of new shooters coming along don't have that advantage so they get conned by the hype with out thinking,"Hey, wait a minute . Do I really NEED to know how to retake a pirated super tanker ?"

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »
"Hey, wait a minute . Do I really NEED to know how to retake a pirated super tanker ?"

You just might need to in order to retake your aircraft carrier that you just bought for a penny.

http://www.sofmag.com/sold-penny

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
I am going to post this here, because I feel that it is relevant to this thread. I had a short conversation with a co worker yesterday, and it got me thinking about training that we pay for, and do on our own.

As I said in a previous post, I believe in getting training from people who use (insert equipment) as their primary. That being said, here is something to consider about the way someone teaches. If I cannot easily understand why I am doing something, I likely not going to take it on faith that it is important. I have been very lucky in the instructors that I have gotten to train under. They were all very good at explaining not only the exercise itself, by why you do X a certain way, and also what that particular exercise is to designed to simulate in a real world scenario.

This helps a student progress faster in a few ways that may not be apparent at first glance. First, by understanding the application of a particular exercise, the student can now imagine a real world application in their own life. This instills the motivation to practice more, thus improve faster. Secondly it gives us a baseline for modifying a drill or scenario that is more applicable to our own personal situation.
Last, and possibly the most important is that it allows us to pass along our knowledge more effectively. When we fully understand what we are trying to accomplish we don't lose the forest for the trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk