Author Topic: Casting [s]Bullets[/s] BOOlits  (Read 11787 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Casting [s]Bullets[/s] BOOlits
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
If you have any builds/ homes that predate ww2 find the plumbers that work on them and make friends.  All of the drain lines will be poured lead, atleast a couple onces per joint and one every 4' .  The old cast iron joints are at the end of life.  About 75 years.    I use to fill a 5 gallon bucket every few houses.  Made the local sass clyb really happy.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
If you have any builds/ homes that predate ww2 find the plumbers that work on them and make friends.  All of the drain lines will be poured lead, atleast a couple onces per joint and one every 4' .  The old cast iron joints are at the end of life.  About 75 years.    I use to fill a 5 gallon bucket every few houses.  Made the local sass clyb really happy.
Thanks for the heads up... Now do I know any plumbers?  ???

1,000 rounds tumble lubed and drying:
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:09:23 AM »
Here's what a quick google search turned up.
Hope it helps.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Bullet+casting+recipes&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
Gelka... from casting for a .44mag many years ago, a couple of suggestions... get a mold that casts for gas check to be installed, and use gas checks...then find the ball process powder(where the grains are tumbled in a flame retardant like graphite, regardless of the shape... I always like to use Winchester powders) that suits your objective...once you cast and size a projectile, drill a hole through one, along its axis and run a 'stick' through it... test this clearance gage in each cylinder hole and see if there is enough clearance forward of the chamber to not squeeze the bullet before it enters the barrel...I used the Hoch bullet lube formula, but that was 35 years ago... leading for me, was typically the result of the base of the bullet being burned off... and tumbling was the best indicator...follow the safety precaution,, all lead compounds are poisonous...

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
EOTWAWKI,

And casting your own bullets.  I'm not sure it's worthwhile for EOTW.

Eventually, in EOTW, all the primers and percussion caps will be used up.  If you stock more bullets than primers then once primers run out you'll have no need for bullets anyway.

Unless you have a flintlock.   Crude black powder can be made without too much difficulty, so in that case casting bullets make sense.  But by that time a plain cast iron pot and a simple mini-ball die is all you need.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:42:58 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
I believe Lyman has a cast bullet handbook.  You might be better off purchasing bullets in 500 mag. that way you don't need to worry about hardness.  Cost of a suitable alloy will be high.  Might do a Google search for suppliers or someone might know of some.  If you want to cast, I would start with something smaller that way you can use wheel weights purchased from someplace that deals in tires but beware, I believe some ww are not lead or contain metals that mess up your alloy.  Recycled range lead is also OK.  Linotype metal is very good also.  Make sure you cast in a well ventilated room or outdoors in a covered area.  Water/rain and molten lead do not mix well.  Make sure you wash your hands before eating/after casting.  You might have the idea that casting is easy and simple.  On the surface it is but there are many things to consider as you gain experience.  Good luck

If there is anything you asked that you haven't gotten an answer for post that/those  particular item/s instead of reposting your entire original post. 
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk