Author Topic: Rest Area - 2 Questionsfor the experts and Forum Members  (Read 4344 times)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rest Area - 2 Questionsfor the experts and Forum Members
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
The Rest Area was a very enlightening and informative episode, especially since it was based on a Host's real-world experience.  I had two primary questions and wanted to get some opinions and advice on the topics:

For Mike S: I liked the method for holstering the firearm in the car, it looked like a practical way to access the firearm in case of an emergency.  My question with that specific rig, how would you handle interaction with a LEO on a routine stop given that it seemed to be visible for someone looking for weapons as a matter of routine when they looked inside your car from the drivers side window as they were standing up and looking down into the car.

For Michael J: I have chosen a Benchmade SOCP Two-edged Dagger for my car.  http://www.benchmade.com/products/176-178
I have it positioned much like Mike S had the pistol in his car so it was accessible but not obvious.  My question is if you have an opinion of the design and if it has any drawbacks or concerns; specifically, it loops around your index finger as shown in the video.  I am assuming the tool is only as effective as your training, forethought and practice with it, but was curious if you have had direct, or heard of stories on the effectiveness of the design of that specific knife.

Would very much like to hear from everyone on their thoughts as well, I always get good advice and insights from the Downrange Community.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rest Area - 2 Questionsfor the experts and Forum Members
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
Dear Paraguy:

Thank you for your post and your questions. Sorry for the slow response, but I've been working in Germany for the past two weeks and just getting back in the loop.

If I may, I'll address both questions. The rig used for the pistol in the car was a FAST Holster--a magnetic platform that can be attached to almost any surface. For visibility in the scenario, we had to cheat a little and position it so it was very visible. Depending upon the configuration of your car, you can find a happy medium of accessibility and concealment that doesn't make its presence too obvious. You must also check all applicable state and local laws to ensure your methods are legally permissible.

I'm familiar with the knife you chose and feel that it is a good option if your state and local laws don't prohibit fixed blades or double-edged knives. Many do. Also, narrow daggers tend to have steep edge geometry and are less effective as cutting tools than thrusting weapons. The disabling cut shown in the scenario requires good edge geometry and a sharp edge. For that, I personally prefer something with a broader blade.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for watching.

Stay safe,

Mike

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
Re: Rest Area - 2 Questionsfor the experts and Forum Members
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Paraguy,

In the vehicle I remove one firearm and have it holstered, or not, in a handy location most of the time.  When I do this I have a standard procedure for stops by law enforcement:

1.  Lights start to flash, I immediately make sure I am in the right hand lane and signal for a move to the right shoulder or other location when safe;
2.  Immediately turn on dome lights;
3.  Both hands on the steering wheel at 11:00 and 1:00, and they stay there unless told other wise by the officer;
4.  If firearm is not completely concealed (Minnesota does not require disclosure unless asked, and then you must be honest), I state that I have a permit and a firearm in the vehicle;
5.  Answer all questions honestly.

I have only once been asked for the firearm, and that was when I was on my way home from league.  It was before I had a permit, so my firearms were in a range bag.  I had not volunteered the information, but he saw steel poppers from USPSA in the box and asked if I had a gun.  I said yes, and he asked for it.  He put my range bag on the hood of the pick up and left it there until we were done.

Most responses from law enforcement are professional and verifying permit.  While carrying I have never had a firearm taken from me or the vehicle during the process.  My last episode had a comical moment when the officer went back to his vehicle he did not tell me to keep my hands in sight, but he did state that he wanted to see the gun in the same location when he returned.  The most common request is to see the gun and ask questions about it.  I thought I was going to be heading to the range with a State Trooper so he could shoot my LCP one evening.  I think we cause one stroke and two heart attacks in passing motorists when he asked to see the guns, and I unholstered my 1911 on the side of an interstate.

As Michael said, know your laws, and the laws where you are traveling.  However, this meets the laws of Minnesota, and I have never had an issue.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk