Author Topic: Sundance Bane  (Read 12402 times)

WymoreWrangler

• Very Active Forum Member
Re: Sundance Bane
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 11:21:46 am »
Darn, I worked a double on Wednesday and forgot to ask my wife to tape Cowboys and Shooting Gallery, I was going to stay up and watch the late night showing, but I fell asleep in my chair, and I do love to fill both hands at CAS matches.... So when do the rerun's start.... ;D

The Down Range TV Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 11:21:46 am »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief DOWN RANGE TV
    • Flying Dragon Ltd
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 12:13:45 pm »
When I was getting my cave diving certification, there were a couple of tests I had to pass...

One was "Pull Through Obstructions," which meant that I had to pull myself through a pitch-black underwater tunnel about 40 feet long. The instructor took my lights and my mask (including the back-ups), because light and a face mask are sort of security blankies for divers. The rock tunnel was roughly the same diameter as the underside of an office chair my face was in the mud and my gear scraped on the roof and occasionally the sides of the tunnel. The gear would get hung up on the rocks, and I had to worm my hands around and untangle myself. It took me approximately MY WHOLE FRIGGIN' LIFE to negotiate the tunnel. The only mantra I could think of to keep the animal in the back of my head from going stark raving mad was that stupid piece of a Kipling poem:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing their and blaming it on you
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too

Over and over and over again in my head...

The other test was even simplier...the cave diving instructors seal off the entrances and exits of a medium-sized underground chamber. Then the primary instructor takes your lights and masks, separates you from the "mainline,"  the line that leads out of the cave, the way back to the light spins you around and around and around, then turns you loose and starts the timer. The test is to see how long it takes you to conceive and execute a search strategy there in the dark to find the mainline and get out of the cave. If I remember correctly, my time was, like, 7 minutes...about an hour short of eternity, to tell the truth. Part of me is still in that underground chamber....

But hey, all in good fun!

Michael B[/color]
Michael Bane, Majordomo, DOWN RANGE TELEVISION,
Host & Producer, SHOOTING GALLERY and THE BEST DEFENSE

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:58:54 pm »
Strange story with that shirt...my luggage didn't make it, and I had to borrow the shirt from Action Jackson. One of the cameras didn;t make it. The tripods didn;t make it. TEQUILA, who was supposed to join me on the show, then me join him on COWBOYS, didn't make it.

Still, I had a major good time...I believe cowboys know a heck of a lot more about shooting than anybody realizes. I'm going to do a series of "tactical cowboy" stuff for DRTV, using cowboy guns for self-defense. I have a Cimarron .44 Special snubbie I have carried on occasion, and I've never felt undergunned...

I always thought of myself as more of Butch Cassidy than Sundance..."Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Michael b

Sounds like it was an exciting weekend. But, then you got to shoot after all that.

I got a friend Who works part time in a gun shop, and he has some kind of short barrled Single Action .45 Colt (I think It's a Ruger Vaquero, but I forget). He recently got made fun of by his coworkers because he concealed carried it one day last month. They asked "Why are you carrying THAT gun?" He said "You ever see what a .45 slug will do?"

So when are you gonna do a series on carrying Dynamite concealed? ;D
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

matthew26

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 02:47:50 pm »
Strange story with that shirt...my luggage didn't make it, and I had to borrow the shirt from Action Jackson. One of the cameras didn;t make it. The tripods didn;t make it. TEQUILA, who was supposed to join me on the show, then me join him on COWBOYS, didn't make it.

Michael b

I had a shoot in Colorado Springs for a Medal of Honor exhibit event and my camera and tripod managed to stay in Phoenix. Fortunately it arrived on the flight just before I had to board another flight to San Fransisco to shoot some military kids at summer camp. Unfortunately for me I didn't get a bright red shirt out of the deal! ;)

BTW - Colorado Springs airport is pretty boring and not much to do while trying to kill a day.