Author Topic: Advice on Building the LIGHTEST POSSIBLE AR  (Read 19808 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Advice on Building the LIGHTEST POSSIBLE AR
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
I didn't see the price on that before. It's out of my league.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
The price is way high...but I saw a Mag Tac lower for $89 at Palmetto State last weekend and they sell the uppers for about $169...then you can piece it together to get the cost way down.

Also...that Aero lower is interesting....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
I'm progressing on my "light" carbine build.  Got the MagTac lower and upper, a Wilson combat single set trigger.   Went with the MagPul MOE stock but got heavier with a nickel boron BCG from Palmetto State.

Looked at some barrels and I've decided to go with hammer forged and a pencil barrel at 14.5" then weld on the flash suppressor for the legal 16".  I guess I need to get my Class 3 dealer to handle that part to be legal.    The barrel looks to be in the 1.5 lb class from Daniel Defense.  I'm sticking with the Geissele forend that I can put rail where I want it.

Now all I need is the cash to progress....

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Sounds good BUT there are Carbon fiber forends that accept rails where you want them that will save weight. 

As for the barrel I think you are fine as long as it doesn't go on the rifle until after the flash suppressor is welded on.  I'm thinking along the lines of 80% lowers and AR Pistols.  Having all the ingredients to make something doesn't make the ingredients illegal (although the BATFE may disagree  ::) )
He who dares wins.  SAS

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
OK...just a bit more research and I ended up with a Spikes Tactical barrel.  It come in at 1.35 lbs and is built for them by FN to SAW standards...it has double chrome and is hammer forged.  That's the one for me.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:10:36 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
So here I am months later.... Maggie says, "I want you to build me a rifle for Christmas".  Gotta love that girl. But, then she also changed her mind and wanted a gopro camera to take kayaking with her, because she sees so many cool birds and stuff.

Then she realized that the best bird seasons are almost past and she could get the camera for her May birthday, so now we're back to an AR. I'm on it!

So as you know we live in NJ and the news coming out of NJ RE: 2nd Amendment rights is surprising even ME for it's sheer stupidity and facism. So I'm being careful. Looks like the only tricky part is the muzzle device.

I have a local gunsmith who is helpful but he stopped doing "compliance" work when the state po po came for an inspection and gave him a huge ration of shit because their "nearly undefined" regulations on compliance were being aggravated that day. So he just stopped doing that kind of work.
Found a guy up the road who will do the weld on the brake (can't have flash hiders and can't have a threaded barrel- welded brake fixes that). So that's cool.

On to the gun.
I know I was looking for really light, but the diff between really light and passably light is not that great, considering the cost of some stuff.

So here's the basics.
Based on what Maggie likes (we're talking "looks" here) the gun has to be all black. If there's any pink she will kill ME with it. So I copped out and bought an upper assembly from Custom Built Arms. The reason I ended with them is a bit of a mixup, but I was a pest and they are VERY accomodating.
We're going with 16" 223 Wylde, chrome lined barrel, a low profile gas block, and a quad rail for accessorizing.
She has the whole "right-handed, left-eyed"thing going on so I figure a red dot sight will work best for her. No iron sights right now.
For weight (and she likes the look) we went with the GWAKS Cav-15 MKII lower/stock assembly.
I went to PSA for bolt carrier group, charging handle and lower parts. I figure I will polish every thing that counts before it goes into the lower.

The upper comes with a flash hider but they are throwing in a muzzle break instead and eating the shipping so I'm ok. I have to run up north to the NJ everyone thinks of when you say, "new jersey" to get the brake welded but it's a "do it while you wait" and I like coffee and donuts so I don't see a problem.

Thanks for letting me share guys. This is still the best gun forum. I'll post an update when we get going.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
Your sweetie sounds like a keeper!  ;D

I gotta admire your tenacity Jaybet for,
1.  staying in NJ
2. building an OMG!! AR15 in NJ.
3. staying in NJ.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »
It's what I do to keep the Sweetie. Would have been gone a long time ago if she would leave.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
Your sweetie sounds like a keeper!  ;D

I gotta admire your tenacity Jaybet for,
1.  staying in NJ
2. building an OMG!! AR15 in NJ.
3. staying in NJ.

Well, the Bible does call for one to be longsuffering.   ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
Ok, so I finished this interesting little carbine for Maggie the other day and we test fired it...all systems GO!

It did not turn out to be as light as I had hoped...including optic it weighs in at 7 lb, 2 oz. But that's not bad. It is also NJ compliant, which is basically an assload of silliness, but I don't like jail so compliance is happily achieved.  Here's the rifle:

I know it's a little odd looking but it really works for her and I love the thing...I'm jealous. It's maneuverable and sights up quick.

If anyone is interested (since I've been playing with video lately) I made a 9 minute video that includes parts description, and the first trip to the range. That can be found here:

http://youtu.be/D0nJP96WTAQ

I really enjoyed researching and working on it. Wish I had money to do one a month.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk