Author Topic: Reloading when exhausted - oops  (Read 7048 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Reloading when exhausted - oops
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »
Short version:  I worked 70  hours the week after Thanksgiving and then tried to reload toward the end of the week.   I ended up with 500 rounds of 9mm just not quite powerful enough to operate the slide.

Longer war story:  I was running low on 9mm and there was a GSSF Indoor League coming up.  So, even though I had put in 70 hours at work and was looking at a short 45 hour, but busy week coming up, I decided to rush through 500 rounds of 9mm. 

I use a Hornady powder measure with a caliper adjustment and I've developed a cheat sheet that let's me know what caliper setting gives me which powder weight.  I ONLY USE IT AS A GUIDE, just to be clear.  I look at my sheet and see that a setting of 3.2 should put me in the ball park for 5.0grs of Power Pistol.  So I dial in 3.2, run the press about 4 times, then measure, on a scale, the actual weight.   In my tiredness my brain mixed up the number 3.2 and 5.0.  WOW.  So, I kept dialing back the caliper until I got 3.2gr on the scale!   Now that's tired.  I even remember asking, but ignoring, why the caliper was off so much. 

Good thing I didn't take these rounds to a match.  The DNF wouldn't be bad, but the embarrassment to my ego would have really hurt.   At practice I loaded up a magazine and fired the first round.  It felt soft, but there was definitely a bullet hole in the target.  Second shot, "CLICK".   I manually ejected the round, took out the mag and checked the barrel.  There was a hole in the target and the barrel was clear so I fired a second round.  2 holes in target but the slide didn't fully operate.  Instantly I realized what had happened.

I considered all the options.  The round appeared safe to shoot, just under powered.  It was like firing .38spl wadcutter target loads.  I figured between unloading them all verses firing them, it would be easier to fire them and manually cycle the slide.   So I used the opportunity to fire them while manually cycling the slide.  100 left hand and 100 right hand.  It was actually good practice.  Slow and deliberate.   I'll consume the rest over several other range sessions.

TAKE AWAY:  Don't ignore anomalies in your reloading procedure.  Don't reload when you're exhausted.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Reloading when exhausted - oops
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
The sad thing about the tricks our mind plays when tired is that the stupid seams correct, and the really stupid sounds even better.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Alf, mix them into your other "practice" ammo for failure drills .

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »
Alf, mix them into your other "practice" ammo for failure drills .

Good one, Tom.

I practiced both overhand racking of the slide 100 times in a row, but it just doesn't work for me.
Will work for ammo

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:29 AM »
I think being tired is bad enough, but being tired, in a hurry, and not realizing you are
using the wrong powder can invite a real problem.
I represented all of the above about 30 years ago.
Loading IMR4831 (?) in a .300 mag, I noticed that the powder was sure flowing easy thru
the measure and funnel.  Usually you will get shearing of 4831 in a powder measure, and
the powder will stack up, and not flow through the funnel very well.
I took a look at the can, and it was IMR4320. It's a good thing that I did not shoot those loads.
I simply grabbed the wrong can of powder.
Be observant at all times.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:56:41 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
Alf, 

When I find a "perception" problem like that, I try to come up with a solution that will stop it from happening, even when I "forget" to focus.

If it were my cheat sheet, I'd enter the values for the weight of the charge in RED so that my attention would be triggered along with the memory of this event.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »

If it were my cheat sheet, I'd enter the values for the weight of the charge in RED so that my attention would be triggered along with the memory of this event.

Great plan.  My problem is right now it is just a hand written crib sheet on a 3x5 card.  Obviously I need to print it so that it's very clear which is the caliper setting and which is the powder weight.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
I learned when I was running a punch press that if I did not REMEMBER checking every detail of my set up twice I needed to check it all again before hitting the start button.
It's a lesson that has worked well in pretty much every thing else as well.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
Great plan.  My problem is right now it is just a hand written crib sheet on a 3x5 card.  Obviously I need to print it so that it's very clear which is the caliper setting and which is the powder weight.

Highlight the load numbers. 

Don't depend upon remembering which is listed first.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
Sometimes you can't do this but I usually setup everything and then walk away for a while.  When I come back, I double check my setup and then start to reload if it is OK.  I usually only load in the winter because I can sit at the press for 50-100 rounds before my back tells me it time to quit for a while.  I usually only put 50 primers in each pick-up tube.  Takes a while to load in quantity but then again I have all winter.  I also have a back-up plan in that I have .38 super ammo I loaded a while back that I can shoot in IDPA ESP or USPSA SS minor.  Hate to shoot it too much because brass is so expensive but that is why it is my back-up plan!

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk