Author Topic: Can Floors In Manufactured Homes Support A Gun Safe?  (Read 18074 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Can Floors In Manufactured Homes Support A Gun Safe?
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
We've been considering moving when I retire in another 18 months or so. One of the things we're looking at are manufactured homes. They cost a lot less per sq. ft., and they're really nice. One thing I wondered about are the floors. I have 2 large, heavy gun safes, and I don't know if they would support that kind of weight per sq. ft.?

I've heard many of them are stronger than site built homes. Through the years I know a few people who bought them, and were very happy. I don't much care about resale value because if we go that route, we'll most likely live in the thing until we die. I know the basic frame on these things is made from steel. But I'm not sure of what they're able to really support over time. I know a hot water heater full of water is quite heavy for it's footprint. But I think they install extra support where they put them.

My current home is on a slab, so weight isn't an issue anywhere in the house. I'm not sure about manufactured homes.

Swamp Yankee

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Can Floors In Manufactured Homes Support A Gun Safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Should hold it ok. I personally do not believe that pre-manufactured homes are as well built as a stick built one. I have had to perform many plumbing repairs on pre-fabs. Also they do not have to comply with the same codes as stick built homes so do your home work. Don't want you to be disappointed after a couple of years.

Mike Mc.
NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
I'm guessing that the live load of a residential floor is 40-50 pounds per sq ft.

Depending on the locale, stick built or manufactured homes have the same building requirements.  Having heavy pieces nearer to a load bearing wall or supporting member will determine what you can do with the structure but that's not going to help much if you've got a thousand pound object on 16 sq ft of floor.

Some or most of the manufactured homes here in the NE have some "custom" capability but without a structural analysis based on the "dead" weight of your fully loaded safes, you're going to be guessing.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »
Billt,

The sales people have the specs on more load ratings than any of us can think of.  Ask and you shall hear.  They will even be able to show you the engineering fact sheets.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »
it depends on where it is in the house, but generally you should be fine with most gun safes, but you never know, stuff has a funny way of not being up to code or modifed later.  Trust me building inspecters miss things or are down right jokes.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:03:36 PM »

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
I used to live in a trailer and had my safe in it.  My safe weighs about 800 pounds with nothing in it. 
Life Member of the NRA

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
I used to live in a trailer and had my safe in it.  My safe weighs about 800 pounds with nothing in it. 

Thanks. Good to know. I was also thinking a couple of screw jacks from Harbor Freight sitting on some pre cast cement pads would take care of it. All I would have to do is check them from time to time in case they settled.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Remember Billt that you will be moving the safe through the house to get it in place.  More than the joists and beams being sized correctly, I am concerned with the OSB subflooring holding up.  It would be wise to plank your way through the house.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Try to put it over one of the frame I beams to be on the safe side, but if it holds a tub full of water it should hold your safe OK.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
Remember Tom that a small firesafe with guns can weigh as much as a standard bathtub with 40 gallons of water, and it has a footprint of about 25% of the tub.  That means four times the weight per square foot!  Also, manufactured homes are engineered for that tub weight and appliances in given places.  But without custom upgrades they may not allow for waterbeds, hot tubs, safes or gun safes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk