Author Topic: My Mom Joined the Choir Celestial  (Read 12105 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
My Mom Joined the Choir Celestial
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
This morning, I got a call from my sister in Mesa, Arizona telling me Mom had passed at 7:41 the previous evening.  She passed quietly after several hours of non-responsiveness.

It would be impossible to condense all that she was in anything short of a literary tome of great heft.

Born in May of 1920 to Irish immigrant parents, she was the first in her family to graduate from college.  Her dad was a carpenter.  Her mom spent a short time as a nurse, but most of her life was spent as a housewife.

Mom had a single brother, a Marine, who was sniper-shot and killed in the Pacific during WWII.

Mom became a teacher, so she was always home whenever we kids were home. 

Though she was never a great cook (she was Irish, for goodness sake) she always managed to stretch the food budget so we never once went hungry--even when money was in very short supply.

In her later years, she suffered from Alzheimer's and got to the point some years back where she no longer remembered who I was.  It got to the point where she would forget where the fork should end up and food would hover between plate and mouth.  The caregivers where she resided would quickly step up with the necessary assistance.

I knew it was coming, and rejoice that she is finally at home with the Lord.  She was a woman of great faith and had committed more Scripture to memory than most preachers. 

Now, that frail, used-up body has been traded-in for perfection, and she is making the rounds of so many generations of family and her friends who went on before.

And, I know we shouldn't second-guess God, but I wonder why this happened a week after my own major surgery.  I will not even be able to make the funeral since it will be at least two more weeks before I can fly.

She was a wonderful Mom to me and to my sister.  She was a faithful wife for nearly 70 years to her husband, my Dad.  And, she is finally at peace.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: My Mom Joined the Choir Celestial
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »
Sorry to hear this!  You're in the prayers already, and this will be added to your healing needs.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
Sorry to hear this CR.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
Very, very sorry.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:49 AM »
Continued prayer for you and your family.

God Bless,

Richard and Norma
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:58:02 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:11 AM »
Our deepest sympathies.   Having gone through the loss of my dad recently I know the feelings.

Alf and Kitty
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »
Hey CR, sorry for your loss. My Mom left us in '96 and I still miss her a lot.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
Rejoice in her life, as you obviously do, and rejoice in her new life in the Lord.

As a friend of mine once said, when you lose your first parent, you come face to face with your own mortality. When you lose the second, you become an orphan, regardless of how many aunts, uncles, cousins or sibling you have. Like many here, I have had to face both transitions myself. And now you are facing one of them as well.

Our prayers are with you CR, as with your recent surgery. Be strong in the Lord, Brother!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »
My condolences CR.

God Bless..

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
I am very sorry for your loss; though we all know it is gain for her to be away from here and with the Lord.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk