Author Topic: Casting bullet questions  (Read 15931 times)

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Casting bullet questions
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
OK so with the end of ammo as we know it dragging on, I am looking into casting bullets as a way to cope. I have some questions:

1. What melting and casting equipment do folks use and like or dislike?

2. Where do you get your lead and if you salvage it from a range backstop how do you clean it up and get all the junk out of it?

3. do you resize and what lube do you use?

On your mark, get set, start the thread drift

Joe
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Casting bullet questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »
Joe,  back when I was casting bullets, I'd salvage discarded wheel weights from a tire store.

I also had a source for worn out lino-type metal. 

The lino--type had a high tin content and it could be added to the soft lead to give it more hardness.

I don't imagine either sources are readily available now days...

About the crud in backstop lead.. 

If it is heavy, soak the lead in a bucket of water to soften it up and just pour out the water and let it dry...or rinse it if you want to be extra clean.

When you melt the lead, any impurities will float on top (almost everything is lighter than lead) so you really don't sanitized lead.  That which floats to the top is called dross and can be skimmed off when the lead is melted and read to pour.

I used a Lee melting pot, similar to this model.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Production-Pot-Grey/dp/B000NOORXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370811014&sr=8-2&keywords=lee+lead+melting+pot

The arm operates a bottom spigot so there was no pouring of the lead.  The spigot can deliver the molten lead right to your bullet molds. 

Since I was doing sme "mixing" with lino-type, I would usually make up batches and pour it into an ingot mold, similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP90029-Precision-Ingot-Mold/dp/B000N8JVM2/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

One thing I had gotten equipped to do but never explored was bullet swagging.

Swaging is where you put some soft lead in a copper bullet jacket and form the bullet in a strong reloading press using swaging dies.  The dies will have different inserts for hollow point or other specifics. 

For the lead, you can cast a slightly under caliber bullet using standard bullet molds or acquire some lead wire..which would probably be fairly expensive now days...it wasn't cheap back then.

I think that is all I can remember...   Good Luck.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
I suggest the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for starters.  You will probably have to buy your scrap lead unless you have a friend in the business.  Make sure you melt and cast in a wellllllllll ventilated area!!!!!!!!!  When I could get range lead free I just started my electric pot and when it was ready I made ingots and added range lead as I got it.  Some of the junk burned off and the rest was skimmed off.  Never empty your pot completely.  Let it cool and restart from there...much easier.  The first few drops might be bad until the mold gets up to temp.  Cast a little add lead, never add wet lead because it will probable explode (water turning to steam and splattering lead all over!) let it come back up to temp and continue.  You will get the hang of it after a while.  Wear long sleeves and pants, gloves and safety glasses.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »

The lino--type had a high tin content and it could be added to the soft lead to give it more hardness.

Is there any Lino-type left?  How long since the last machine was retired?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

On your mark, get set, start the thread drift

Joe

You know us well   ;D

I have no idea how they do it now , I have heard that wheel weights were best after linotype .
Back in the 70's my Dad and I were using a Coleman camp stove to melt lead for black powder guns .

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:49:42 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Is there any Lino-type left?  How long since the last machine was retired?

I can't imagine any machines running ...even 3rd world outfits can afford desktop publishing easier than a linotype setup.

But, I have heard stories that a Dutchman got his hands on tons of the surplus linotype metal...put all of it in a abandoned mine somewhere out west. ...before he got lost.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »
a comment... I started casting bullets for IHMSA metallic silhouette around 1979....if you are going to shoot rifle or magnum pistol calibers, with a powder other than Winchester Ball process powder, think about adding gas checks to keep the rear of the bullet from being burned off and destroying accuracy.... RCBS large production pot, and RCBS sizer luber... when I got into USPSA switched to two 4 cavity SAECO moulds and made my own lube from a modified Hoch formula.... 1/2 paraffin, 1/2 Vaseline as a plasticizer, and a couple of teaspoons of RCBS sizing lube was the Hoch formula to which I added bees wax in 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 ratios... be sure to flux the pot to prevent the accelerated loss of tin and antimony removed as dross (don't remove... just add some resizing lube and stir).... you can harden a bit if you drop into water, but be careful and don't put any culls back into the pot as commented above due to the danger of a steam explosion... I melted from wheel weights, cast, sized, loaded and shot 34,000 rounds the year I got my Dillon 450 (pre 550)

fast forward 30 years.... all lead compounds are poisonous....I had a blood serum lead level test a year or so ago, and my lead level was an 8.... I would not recommend hand casting for modern available cartridges, unless your are shooting something like Cowboy Action that requires lead projectiles.... there are commercial casters, especially those providing polymer or copper plated bullets available...especially with the USPS providing an "if it fits, it ships" policy as to shipping cost... I just received a back order from Precision Delta at about 16 weeks....things are improving... YMMV

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
You can also pretty much forget about using wheel weights for scrap lead,the new wheel weights are either zinc or steel,the lead was a "ecological hazard" so no more lead... ::) ::)
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
Thanks guys this was helpful. I got the Lyman book and have been reading it. I had to laugh that all the casting equipment in Midway is out of stock. Brownells does seem to have things in stock!

I found a local source of ingots
http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
and their prices are not bad if I can stretch it by mixing with range lead. The funny thing is when I looked at the backstop at the local range there is so much lead in there i couldn't see any dirt! That is what got me thinking about this at least for 38 and 44 as I don't have any bullets for those and lead would be a good option.

I have been loading copper plated for 45 and 9 for USPSA and still have some inventory.

I really don't need another thing to to do, but it does seem kind of prudent to have worked out the kinks for an alternate source!
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »
I did some casting years ago for Black Powder. I did it mostly for fun also. If your just looking for something to shoot there is all the bullets you need in lead out there. Our locale company has every thing in stock. http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/ They produce a great product, Check there reviews on the web. They ship very quickly and keep the costs down. I use there bullets in 44,41 357, 9mm and 40S&W and have had no problems even with leading with there Standard Hard Cast Bullets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk