Author Topic: Armed school staff  (Read 5065 times)

Rclapsadle

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Armed school staff
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:05 AM »
How about an episode on armed staff in schools?

oldkat69

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Fides sed veritas
  • Liked:
Re: Armed school staff
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
;) Great show!  Very thought provoking as it should be.  What do you think about  doing a school shooter episode?  Obviously its a very controversial subject.  I was fascinated by the number of teachers who applied for the Buckeye Firearms Association class (over 1200 for 20 spots).  My personal interest is that teaching is my retirement career and I don't intend to see any of my students harmed on my watch. 

As a side note could someone help me understand why otherwise educated people (teachers) as so confused about self defense and the defense of others.  A recent CNN poll says 70% of teachers don't want guns in school.  What they overlooked is that means about about 20% of use do want to be armed (and 5% believe in pink unicorns).   The really weird part is most teachers out here in fly over country approve of armed SRO's (School resource officers) who all carry their duty weapons and even armed guards  but freak when I suggest they could carry!

See also http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=23820.0
I used to be open minded but my brain kept falling out.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »

I think OC is considering doing a special on School Shootings. No words yet about the outcome. We'll keep you posted as soon as we know if this project will see daylight.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
Marshal, you mean with MB and the crew in the lead?

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
Too soon to tell, but TBD director Tim Cremin will be in charge if it becomes reality.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:30:50 PM »

oldkat69

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Fides sed veritas
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
Thanks Marshall!  Obviously this would be a hot topic to address.
I am a retired lawyer who is sick of uneducated citizens so I have decided to teach.
Consequently, I spend a lot of time with hoplophobes both at work in the public schools and at the college where I am picking up a Masters in Education.  To be honest, out here in fly over country most teachers are comfortable with armed security and armed school resource  officers.  But when you suggestion concealed carry for teachers that get all wobbly.  About 3/4's of them think allowing a 40 year old teacher with masters or doctorate level education and special CQB training is just too scary and couldn't possibly control a gun in a school!  Several of my teaching friends are former military and law enforcement and they all know their way around firearms have served in combat zones.   At the same time a 21 year old kid with 400 hours police academy training and a blue polyester uniform wondering around the cafeteria is just fine.  I just don't get it.  I would appreciate the opinion of the participants here on the forum on this.

P.S. I am working on a magazine style persuasive article to circulate to teachers and administrators promoting optional concealed school carry.  For what it is worth school carry is legal in Missouri with school district permission. Unfortunately I only know of one school district that allows it.  It is a rural district where about 3 years ago a student drew down on the principal with an SKS.  Luckily it jammed (mag not seated).  The principal vowed it would never happened again and several teachers and administrators now carry.  The recent Arapaho High school incident shows the difference a good guy  with a gun can make with out ever firing a shot.  One casualty was one too many but the situation could have been so much worse.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Oldkat in Missouri
I used to be open minded but my brain kept falling out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk