Poll

Simple question.  Do you support the US Military honoring the Oath Of Enlistment?

Yes
17 (94.4%)
No
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Do You Support The US Military Honoring The Oath Of Enlistment?  (Read 3307 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Do You Support The US Military Honoring The Oath Of Enlistment?
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
The Enlistment Oath, as shown on the US Army's web page:  http://www.army.mil/values/oath.html

Oath of Enlistment

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do You Support The US Military Honoring The Oath Of Enlistment?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »
Rastus, does it matter?
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
It  needs to be changed to "lawful orders".

There is enough precedent where this has been established.

"I was following orders."  simply isn't enough to keep you from the gallows.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
I took that oath about 38 years ago this month for the first time!  Gerry Ford was the POTUS and being a good Michigan boy, I had no problems with the oath.  Four years later, Jimma Carter was the POTUS and certainly influenced my decision about re-enlisting for another hitch.  Reagan hadn't committed to run yet...shoulda, woulda, coulda as they say!

Today, it's an all volunteer force so soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and CG have a choice to either swear their allegiance to the POS at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave or not so yes, I support the Military honoring that oath!

Remember, the UCMJ doesn't require you follow an illegal order from ANY superior, even the president!

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
I took the oath 36 years ago.  My enlistment expired.  My commitment to that oath hasn't.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Sponsor

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Not only uphold the Oath but note that it has no expiration date .
34 years 10 months ago.

Rastus, does it matter?

Does it matter ?

§ 502. Enlistment oath: who may administer
(a) Enlistment Oath.— Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:
"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Wehrmacht Oath of Loyalty to Adolf Hitler, 2 August 1934

"I swear by God this sacred oath that to the Leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces, I shall render unconditional obedience and that as a brave soldier I shall at all times be prepared to give my life for this oath."

You tell me .

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
Hi;

I believe that all of this talk of the military fireing on US Citizens is toooo  overboard. First of all, we can eliminate National Guard and Reserve people from actively wanting to get activated to shoot on their fellow neighbors and workers. For 28 days in the month, these people are just like you and me, they also gather around the water cooler and Breakroom table and discuss what is going on. A lot of the young kids are after that college tuition money and have no interest in a 20 year stint with the military. SNCO's are usually workleaders/supervisors at their place of work and see everything that is going on with Gov't intervention at the workplace. Most Officers are professionals in White Collar jobs that require them to evaluate the surroundings and attitudes of every day people.  They all know that assualt upon thier families are just as possible by other military persons (active) and are secretly prepareing a way of non-engagement heading their way, so they will not accept or follow orders to assualt someone elses family members. The people with the keys to the arms and ammo lockers/bunkers may just hand out some GOOD stuff to their neighbors and friends and family if a possible conflict becomes possible. Just remember that as long as someone signs off that    X   was expended in training exercises - no one cares or is questioning.

Active Duty personnel :   They have family and friends back home also, do you really think that they are that blind that they will shoot onto someone elses family and think that another unit will not fire upon thier own family members ? Too many Officers come from military families and Dad will tell son/daughter not to follow orders.  Enlisted members will also listen to Mom and Dad and refuse orders.    Only the self important , promotion hungry people will take arms and shoot.  A  very very small percentage of the total force.  Generals and Admirals will balk and refuse to issue orders.  The National Leaders will see this and have the Military   STAND DOWN !!!

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
I took the oath in 1959 (almost 54 years ago)! Does longevity count? Do I think that the Gen X and Y boys and girls take that oath as seriously as I did? No I don't! And that is why I say it doesn't matter. We are going to ask Gen X and Y to think beyond themselves and the government teat for the first time in their lives. Do they really understand the freedoms we ask them to fight for? Not if they are public school trained and college educated! I base my biases in this regard on the results of the last election. You tell me.

Interesting examples, Tom, as usual.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find a BHO supporter, let alone anyone that would follow orders like that in the unit I'm in now.  It may be that we're all older, some experience in the "real world", and the type of skills we have.  Most everybody at some point was Active and has deployed to somewhere sandy, either while AC of Reserve.  There is a respect for what you have here that most Americans take for granted since they haven't "laid it all out." Give some of these GenY/Xrs coming back from deployment a little credit.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »
Especially if, as Panetta suggests, they cut the troops pay .

Remember the 1991 Russian coup attempt against Gorby ?
Troops who aren't getting paid don't usually fire on the people who are not screwing them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk