Author Topic: W.H. readies 19 executive actions  (Read 5007 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
W.H. readies 19 executive actions
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: W.H. readies 19 executive actions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »
I'll plead ignorance because I'm not up on exactly how far a President can go with Executive Orders or "Actions". I can understand things like putting the ATF under the FBI. But can he ban Hi-Cap magazines by Executive Order alone? That requires both Senate and Congressional approval, does it not?

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=21556.0

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-would-be-limited-executive-order-on-gun-control?CID=obinsite

Still, there are limits on executive orders that would keep President Obama from taking many steps on gun control, and these limits would certainly prevent the kind of dictatorship the Drudge Report implicitly warns about on their website.

For instance, in 1952 President Truman issued an executive order which directed seizure of steel mills as part of the Korean War effort. The Supreme Court rejected the executive order in the Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer case, and Truman was forced to retreat. In the majority opinion Justice Black wrote that executive orders, "must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself." The concurring opinion of Justice Jackson was more lenient, but as a whole the Court agreed that a president's executive orders may not go beyond the Constitution, and that orders may not directly contradict an act of Congress.

As noted by the Congressional Research Service, the Youngstown decision still applies in the modern era, and was used to declare an executive order from President Clinton unconstitutional in 1996.

In addition, executive orders can be, and historically have been, repealed by acts of Congress or a subsequent executive order from another president. If Congress was really upset about an executive order on gun control they could revoke the measure through law or get the White House to reverse course by threatening the funding of whatever department may implement the order. If the American public was upset about an executive order from Obama they could simply elect a pro-gun president in 2016 who could repeal the order the first day he comes into office.

The president's powers of executive order have historically expanded in times of war. President Lincoln issued a "proclamation" to suspend habeas corpus. During WWII President Roosevelt used an executive order to establish internment camps for Japanese Americans. But these situations were almost universally regarded as national emergencies. The Supreme Court even approved of Roosevelt's interment camps even though that decision is viewed critically by historians and many legal scholars. As bad as the Sandy Hook massacre was, it and other tragedies do not amount to the kind of national emergency seen in the Civil War and WWII.

What President Obama could do through executive order is step up the enforcement of gun control laws which are already on the books. In addition, President Obama could implement new measures which are not expressly denied by either the Constitution or a law of Congress. However, just as Truman could not seize the steel mills in 1952, Obama could not simply seize people's guns through executive order. In addition, Obama's executive orders could not conflict with any gun friendly legislation passed by the Congress over the last 10 years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE AT LINK<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/meese-obama-guns-impeachable/2013/01/14/id/471412?s=al&promo_code=11F25-1

Former U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese III declared in an exclusive Newsmax TV interview that President Barack Obama could easily be impeached if he bypassed Congress and enacted gun-control legislation by executive order.

Meese's comments came on the same day President Obama told the White House press corp at the last news conference of his first term that he was reviewing actions, including issuing executive orders, where he could take action without congressional approval to confront gun violence in the nation. Obama said he would present a plan within days.

The options include stronger background checks, a meaningful ban on assault weapons, and limits on high-capacity ammunition magazines, Obama said, conceding that was unsure how such steps could pass Congress.

“I’m confident there are some steps we can take that don’t require legislation and that are within my authority as president,” Obama said.

“It would not be legal. It would not be constitutional,” Meese, who served under President Ronald Reagan, tells Newsmax. “And, indeed, if he tried to override the Second Amendment in any way, I believe it would be an impeachable offense.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE AT LINK<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
I think one of the biggest problems here is how long it would take for his over reaching E.O.'s to be walked through the Judicial System at the snails pace at which it runs. In the meantime it could or would be treated as the law of the land until ruled on otherwise. Even if something like this were "fast tracked" through the system, it is no guarantee they would reject it. Look at Obama Care. I would have bet you $1K at the time, that it would have been rejected, along with his reelection. I would have been wrong on both counts. This country is being over run with communists. And because of it we are going to see things happen we never thought possible. At both the Judicial and Executive branches of this ever corroding government.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

If the American public was upset about an executive order from Obama they could simply elect a pro-gun president in 2016 who could repeal the order the first day he comes into office.
So we just have to deal without our 2nd Amendment Rights for 4 years?!?!  
 :(

Obama could not simply seize people's guns through executive order.

“I’m confident there are some steps we can take that don’t require legislation and that are within my authority as president,” Obama said.

BHO has defecated all over the Constitution over the last 4 years and not a single person in the MSM or Congress has called him on it so why wouldn't he feel like he is king? ::)

When I first heard this last night I was depressed, now I'm just livid....
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:02:00 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
I was livid on Nov 7th .
Now I'm just depressed, resigned, and determined .
I am making no long term plans beyond a resolve not to bow to tyranny.
Another Stalin quote the real Americans should take to heart .

Not one step back !

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

For instance, in 1952 President Truman issued an executive order which directed seizure of steel mills as part of the Korean War effort. The Supreme Court rejected the executive order in the Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer case, and Truman was forced to retreat. In the majority opinion Justice Black wrote that executive orders, "must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself." The concurring opinion of Justice Jackson was more lenient, but as a whole the Court agreed that a president's executive orders may not go beyond the Constitution, and that orders may not directly contradict an act of Congress.

As noted by the Congressional Research Service, the Youngstown decision still applies in the modern era, and was used to declare an executive order from President Clinton unconstitutional in 1996.

I think one of the biggest problems here is how long it would take for his over reaching E.O.'s to be walked through the Judicial System at the snails pace at which it runs. In the meantime it could or would be treated as the law of the land until ruled on otherwise. Even if something like this were "fast tracked" through the system, it is no guarantee they would reject it. Look at Obama Care. I would have bet you $1K at the time, that it would have been rejected, along with his reelection. I would have been wrong on both counts. This country is being over run with communists. And because of it we are going to see things happen we never thought possible. At both the Judicial and Executive branches of this ever corroding government.

Here is where the conservative/liberal balance of the court comes into play......and how long it takes for it to change in BHO's favor.... the Obamacare ruling not withstanding.

Get your foil hats out........  ;D

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=21304.0

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
You guys might want to stop discussing your mental health issues least you become a prohibited person.  :)
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
You guys might want to stop discussing your mental health issues least you become a prohibited person.

Unless you're a fool or a coward you're no more concerned about that than is a Chicago gang banger .
I may fall backwards, I'll never step back.
I'm done watching my country destroyed by communists and the dumb asses who support them.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
Unless you a fool or a coward you're no more concerned about that than is a Chicago gang banger .
I may fall backwards, I'll never step back.
I'm done watching my country destroyed by communists and the dumb asses who support them.

Tom, fixed it I put a smile on it.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk