Author Topic: Frequency Of Mini 14 Cleaning ?  (Read 13649 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Frequency Of Mini 14 Cleaning ?
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »
For those who own and shoot Ruger Mini 14 rifles, how often do you do a complete field strip and cleaning? I normally do it with all of my weapons each and every time I shoot them. The problem is with the Ruger Mini 14 that is a royal PITA. First off, you have to remove the scope to get the bolt out, (assuming you can even get the damn thing out). Then there is the fact the gun is a nightmare to reassemble afterward. I'm guessing they don't get stripped down that often because of that.

I know guys at our club who have fired literally thousands of rounds through their Mini's, and have NEVER taken them apart. What I've been doing after each shooting session is a wet cleaning, followed by a lot of compressed air. That seems to get most of the crap out of it. I just don't relish taking the thing apart because of all the problems associated with putting the damn thing back together. I think the only Ruger more difficult than the Mini is the Mark II and III, .22 semi auto pistols. I've known guys who ended up taking them to a gunsmith in a cigar box, and PAYING to have them reassembled!

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Frequency Of Mini 14 Cleaning ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »
Full tear down and cleaning after every range trip. I don't have a scope on mine but I also don't find the tear down or reassembly all that difficult. I just always "dealt" with the process. I did remount the mini in a new  Ruger composite stock I picked up as a takeoff on Ebay. This eliminates the stiffening plate and screw, and perhaps allows for more clearance. The stock works better for me with a slightly longer lop than an original wood stock and is much more reliable than the butler creek folder I picked up the mini in. I also had a Muzzelite bullpup stock that was fun to shoot but an even bigger pain to clean. I sold/traded both of the aftermarket stocks and replaced the missing blade peep sight. It's a joy to shoot now. I can sympathize with the reassembly of a MK1, but with practice the task becomes less of a pain. I have considered the aftermarket disassembly parts but haven't installed then myself yet.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
I have always cleaned the bore way more often (usually after each session of shooting) than the bolt and rotating assembly. I've owned mine for over 20 years and only done a detail strip once. Heck, mine never got that dirty on the mechanism end of things. All the crud ends up down at the gas block and the front of the op-rod.........and the things are made so loose that a good solvent and compressed air gets a lot done quickly.
I mainly just pop the scope off and pull the stock and soak it in solvent..... then high pressure air.

Built like a tank.
These things are the Energizer Bunny of rifles, though.  ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »
Thanks Peg Leg. I'll just stick with my "wet wash & blow dry", like I've been doing. I don't need to aggravate myself. I've been trying to hook my new TV up to a Tivo box. Believe me, that 's frustrating enough!

devzal

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Each time I clean my Ruger 22/45, I question the design, a lot.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:06:14 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Each time I clean my Ruger 22/45, I question the design, a lot.

Through all my years in the shooting sports, I've learned not to even attempt to take a Ruger Mark II or III .22 pistol apart. I've known too many guys who have had nothing but trouble reassembling them. I just give them a good wet cleaning with clean Kerosene and a stiff bristled brush. Then blow them dry with compressed air. It gets them spotless without all the aggravation.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
The "soak-n-blow" method seems to work better and better for a wider range of guns these days. It really works well on guns with intricate operating mechanisms like the Marlin 60 (talk about a pain with all the little springs and pinned side panels).

It's not from being lazy either...... It just cleans the grit out better.

I have had guns that no matter how much brushing and rinsing and such I did, there seemed to always be a tad bit of grit in tight spots that couldn't be reached with a brush or pick. A good soak in some Simple Green, a good warm water rinse in the sink, followed by a thorough shot of compressed air and a good soaking in Kroil, then another shot of air and some oil and it looks like a new gun.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
I know Cylinder & Slide has been selling those "Dunk-It" cleaning pails for years. They have them for metal and Polymer guns like Glocks and the like. It's pretty much the same principal as what we're doing.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
I know Cylinder & Slide has been selling those "Dunk-It" cleaning pails for years. They have them for metal and Polymer guns like Glocks and the like. It's pretty much the same principal as what we're doing.

I'm just to cheap to buy the dunk-it....  ;D  ;D  ;D

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
I'm just to cheap to buy the dunk-it....  ;D  ;D  ;D

And I get simple green free at work!
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk