Author Topic: Response from my representative. Warms my heart.  (Read 1474 times)

sksmedic

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Response from my representative. Warms my heart.
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
Opened my email this morning to find this. This made my day and I thought I would share. Keep up the good fight gentlemen. We shall be victorious.

January 11, 2013

Dear Mr. Cameron,

Thank you for writing to me and expressing your views on the Second Amendment and the role of gun laws and their enforcement by agencies such as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE).  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The Second Amendment is one of the most important rights set forth by the Bill of Rights and one that is uniquely American. The Constitution states, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."  I strongly support this right and have diligently fought to ensure infringement does not occur.

It may come as a surprise to many people, but the federal government has at times violated the Second Amendment rights of its citizens.  For example, for years, the federal government--through agencies such as the BLM, the Park Service, and Fish & Wildlife—have banned citizens from carrying sidearms for self-defense on public lands.  These lands are used for hiking, camping, other purposes. As you may know, the 111th Congress remedied that and passed a law that repealed those bans and authorized possession of firearms for self-defense on National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System lands. However, when Congress changed the law to include park and refuge lands, the bill language omitted land owned and operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

During the appropriations process in the 112th Congress, I took action to ensure our Second Amendment right would not be infringed by introducing my own amendment to the "Energy and Water Appropriations Bill" to remedy this. My amendment, called the Gosar Gun Amendment, sought to defund a federal regulation (36 CFR Sec. 327.13(a)) by which the Army Corps enforces, creates, and authorizes its ban on self-defense firearms. My amendment passed, and I was pleased to see the Gosar Amendment included in a House passed "Energy and Water Appropriations Bill" earlier this year. I will work hard in order to see this clarification passed into law.

While the rights to both own a weapon and to defend oneself and one's property are clear and unambiguous, we must remain vigilant to ensure that government agencies, both state and federal, do not overstep the bounds set forth by the Constitution.  For example, under the guise of monitoring and regulating illegal weaponry, the BATFE sometimes exceeds its scope of authority and its efforts then compromise the lawful exercise of the constitutional right to own a gun.  As gun owners, however, we must ensure that those who own guns learn how to use them safely and understand the circumstances when they can be used.

Our Founding Fathers believed strongly in the principle that it was up to the citizens to both defend themselves when necessary and defend their country when called upon to do so.  The prominence of the Second Amendment reflects that.  As a lifelong hunter and avid outdoorsman, I have been a life-long supporter of responsible gun ownership. Rest assured, I will continue fighting for our Second Amendment right during my tenure in Congress.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns.  It is a pleasure to serve Arizona as part of its Congressional Delegation.  Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.  To receive the latest legislative updates and news you can sign up for my e-newsletter by visiting my website at www.gosar.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S.
Member of Congress

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
Re: Response from my representative. Warms my heart.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Got my form letter today. Seems a little wishy washy. Especially when coupled with his saying he wouldn't vote for a bill raising taxes and less than 2 weeks later voter for the fiscal cliff deal....... ::)  Will be watching Barrasso like a hawk.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) has announced that she intends to introduce legislation that would reinstate the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. The assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004, prohibited semi-automatic firearms simply because they looked like fully-automatic military rifles. Semi-automatic firearms fire only one shot when the trigger is pulled, unlike fully-automatic firearms. Her proposal would ban the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of semi-automatic assault weapon as defined by the legislation.  Additionally, Senator Feinstein legislation aims to ban large-capacity ammunition feeding devices and implement strict registration and weapons transfer requirements. While the bill is not publicly available I have provided a link below to Senator Feinstein's summary of the bill:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

I have always and will continue to vigorously oppose legislation that threatens our Second Amendment rights.  Everyone agrees that this country must take steps to control violent crime, and I believe we can keep America safe while protecting our constitutional freedoms. Please know that I oppose any efforts in the Senate to reinstate a ban on semi-automatic firearms or impose upon an individual's right to bear arms.

Once again, Jason, thanks for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. I value your input.

John Barrasso, M.D.                                                                         
United States Senator
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
My reps and one Senator are Obama liberal Dems, they don't even reply.
The other Senator is Kelly Ayotte, her reply was similar to what JC got.

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Living here in the once great state of CA, I don't expect a response from my esteemed Senators.  If I did, all it would probably say is, "Muahahahaha!"
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »
I posted the reply from my House Rep on another thread the other day.
Just got two today (separate from where I sent two different letters, but worded similarly) from one of my Senators.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

As a parent and grandparent, there are no words to describe my grief at the senseless loss of life at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My deepest sympathy goes out to the Newtown, Connecticut community, and all of the victims, families, and loves ones of this horrible  tragedy. I join the rest of the nation in offering my prayers to all of those impacted.

In response to this and other tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on this expired legal provision. I believe that Congress will have an extensive and detailed debate about all of the potential causes of these tragic crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms. Your comments are important, and I will remember them as the debate moves forward.

On September of 1994, Congress passed and President Clinton signed into law the "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act" (P.L. 103-322). This legislation prohibited the sale of certain semi-automatic weapons, often referred to as the assault weapons. On September 13, 2004 the ban expired. 

I have always been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to ensure the rights of gun owners will not be further infringed upon.  We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not infringed upon.  I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes.  As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:24:34 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk