Author Topic: Finally A S&W 686 Without The Lock. Thank You Santa!!!  (Read 5447 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally A S&W 686 Without The Lock. Thank You Santa!!!
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I really admire 4" Revolvers. Especially after having to let my Ruger Police Service Six in SS go to another home years ago.

Always liked the 686, started combing around for one, but always came across ones with the internal lock. :-\

Working in another part of the state, I finally found one at a fair price.
The SA trigger is downright scary light. Adj. rear, and very smooth DA. This one was hardly used and in exceptional condition.

The manual calls it the Distinguished Combat Magnum modeled after the Model 66 predecessor. It is a stout and very comfortable pistol to shoot full house loads in, and very accurate.

Love these 4" revolvers.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Finally A S&W 686 Without The Lock. Thank You Santa!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
Beautiful TW.   Which revision is it?   Hard to say from the pictures.  -1?  -2?  And if you don't mind how much did you pay?   Mine is a -1.  While some people are posting over-inflated prices on the auction sites, I think the $650 range is about right.

The only thing I'd like on mine is to chamfer the chambers and make the front site replaceable.  I might have to give in and get a Pro-Shop SSR model.  Probably cheaper than machining my older one.  They're selling NIB for about $770 on-line

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Beautiful TW.   Which revision is it?   Hard to say from the pictures.  -1?  -2?  And if you don't mind how much did you pay?   Mine is a -1.  While some people are posting over-inflated prices on the auction sites, I think the $650 range is about right.

The only thing I'd like on mine is to chamfer the chambers and make the front site replaceable.  I might have to give in and get a Pro-Shop SSR model.  Probably cheaper than machining my older one.  They're selling NIB for about $770 on-line

Don't know the revision, when the cylinder is open the numbers AHI1988 and under says MOD 686 are on the frame.
than on the yoke it has A10 and under is a 32349 number. There is a V on the back of the open cylinder. It also has the MARCAS REGISTRADAS under the Made In The USA engraving.

If that helps I'd love to know the revision, and what differences the -1 and -2 mean.

I think the dealer said it was 1988. But I stole it for under $500.  ::)

Thanks alf, I know your an aficionado on S&W Revolvers.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

44s rock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
Very nice! Congrats
NRA Life Member

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Yours appears to  be an unmodified no-dash.   Which means it was the original design.   -1, -2, etc. indicate engineering/manufacturing changes. 

According to "the book" this one should actually be from 1985ish. 

Here's the run down:

-1  1986 changed the internals a little bit.
-M  1987 An overstamp indicating a no-dash or -1 had a recall modification,  hammer nose I think.  Not an overriding safety issue.
-2  1987 hammer nose bushing change

all the way to the current -6 which has internal lock and MIM parts.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:21:00 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Sounds like Santa is being VERY nice to TW this year !  ;D
What did you do ?
Offer to shovel up after the Rein deer ?    ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »
Wow, that's nice! Merry Christmas.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »
Sounds like Santa is being VERY nice to TW this year !  ;D
What did you do ?
Offer to shovel up after the Rein deer ?    ;D

Yes, I needed to make up after my "naughty-ness" last year.... ::)

Thank You for the info alf. I really appreciate it.!!!!!!!!
Col. Jeff Cooper.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
I have owned a couple of those over the years, and they have all been very accurate shooters.  Nice gun.
Life Member of the NRA

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 04:23:50 AM »
Beautiful Smith! Gotta love the pre lock 686's. Mel bought me the 6" back in 1984. I added the 2 1/2" a couple of years later. I think the L-Frame S&W's are just about the perfect frame size.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk