Author Topic: Santa Came Early With A Swiss Treat  (Read 8359 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Santa Came Early With A Swiss Treat
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
Have always heard very good things about the K31 Schmidt-Rubin in 7.5x55. The trigger, accuracy, well built design of the straight bolt, and overall craftsmanship.

It's all true. Picked this up amongst the AR frenzy down here, an all matching numbered consignment original walnut stock lovely was being ignored by all the black rifle folks. As I waited my turn and utilized my C&R to acquire it,...some of the AR guys paused and said:
"Is that what I think it is?"  "Damn, Nice Rifle." ::)

Hickok45 has a great vid with one.

Any and all info, tips, ammo donations, and tweaks are very much wanted.
Range report as soon as my ammo gets here. ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Santa Came Early With A Swiss Treat
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
That's a really nice rifle T.W.! Let me know how it runs. I've seen several for sale at Classic Arms. Some have the red bolt handle. I'm not sure if that's a different model.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »
Another very cool buy.   Christmas is coming early and often at your house.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
Thanks billt, I certainly will. After doing some research I also found that hidden under the buttstock was a tag assigning the rifle to a particular Swiss family and adds provenance to the rifle.

Mine has this one.

Perhaps someone knows Swiss.

It reads

Nilod Roger 1933
Gs. fus. mout 1/7
Vhe. Salluz 47
Lausanne

Best my eyes can do,  on the back is the serial number of the rifle.

I think I got a real good one, as the bore is as bright as a mirror, and the bolt is really slick.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
First off, I think the red and white bolt handles are just different materials, not different models.
When you chamber a round slam the bolt forward and then give it a rap to be sure it's seated !
The straight pull action got a bad reputation during WWI when stories circulated about Canadian Ross rifles that were fired with out the bolt fully locked and driving the bolt through the shooters head .
In his book "A Rifleman went to war" H.W.McBride, who used the Ross extensively in France, claims that was not the case, it was in fact dirt jamming the action shut that led to the replacement of the Ross .
I have been told, but have not confirmed, that the Schmidt Rubin will not fire if the bolt is not fully locked.
I myself would rather be safe than sorry so the extra whack on the bolt handle.

All that being said, the K- 31 is probably the most accurate general issue rifle ever produced, with fairly mild recoil and results that just make it a joy to shoot.
I would buy one before I would even consider another Mauser.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:45:56 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
Ok TW, now you're just pissin' me off. Merry Christmas!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
Thanks for the info TomB. I noticed cycling the action and in the Hickok vid, he mentioned the same. Do not want to experiment with "it won't fire with the bolt slightly closed concept." It will get an extra rap home when I shoot it.

Other than that, that's about my only Christmas gifts other than my son being with me and having to feed his neverending 17 year old appetite.

But I do get to exploit a healthy back and violate child labor laws while he's here. ;)

Sorry jay. If you want to come down to FL, we can get some range time in,...in shorts and a T-Shirt if you like. It's about 76 and a little breezy today. :-X

Sorry again..... ::)

Col. Jeff Cooper.

red364

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
Woohoo!  Some years Santa's allright!

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
Thanks billt, I certainly will. After doing some research I also found that hidden under the buttstock was a tag assigning the rifle to a particular Swiss family and adds provenance to the rifle.

Mine has this one.

Perhaps someone knows Swiss.

It reads

Nilod Roger 1933
Gs. fus. mout 1/7
Vhe. Salluz 47
Lausanne

Best my eyes can do,  on the back is the serial number of the rifle.

I think I got a real good one, as the bore is as bright as a mirror, and the bolt is really slick.

Not sure, but is that one of the German dialects.  i thought the swiss spoke German?
Nice TW
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
Not sure, but is that one of the German dialects.  i thought the swiss spoke German?
Nice TW

German and French, in that part of Switzerland, Lausanne, it may be French, since it's right on the border.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk