Author Topic: Connecticut school shooting  (Read 28500 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Connecticut school shooting
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
Gents,
 I will get our assessment sheet when I get into work tomorrow and post the details here for your review. It was put together by one of the 3 best expert on the planet (literally). There is a guy in the SS that is the expert for celebrities and a few psychologists that do this for us common folks and this guy who am I am happy to call a friend who is ex PD and is the "field guy" who wrote the book on how to do this in an organization. I call him "Marshall Dillon" as he loves this stuff! It he says "fascinating" or or interesting" 3 times in a case review I know I am in deep shit!

Joe

That one made me LOL.   ;D
I look forward to seeing this.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
sweet1911:

Anger is a natural grief response, and it is anger with the situation.  The thing that armchair I'm ok you're ok people forgot to read in the textbook was that most of the anger in grief is misdirected, and that misdirection is the reason it is called irrational anger.  It is anger that must be allowed to vent, but it must be redirected to the proper point as soon as possible and until it is the grief process will never proceed in a meaningful and useful way.

Our media, and groups like Brady will do all they can to fuel the anger and to keep it misdirected (irrational) as long as possible.  They will do this because it fuels their purpose.

We need to approach this with sensitivity and factual reason.

I have a post ready to go on Facebook meant to inform and put in perspective deaths caused by misuse.  I just need to decide when the appropriate time is.  I reviewed it this morning with some church leaders, and they say NOW.  I have not decided yet.  Today would get the highest readership, but this is still a raw wound that hasn't even started to scab up.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
sweet1911:

Anger is a natural grief response, and it is anger with the situation.  The thing that armchair I'm ok you're ok people forgot to read in the textbook was that most of the anger in grief is misdirected, and that misdirection is the reason it is called irrational anger.  It is anger that must be allowed to vent, but it must be redirected to the proper point as soon as possible and until it is the grief process will never proceed in a meaningful and useful way.

Our media, and groups like Brady will do all they can to fuel the anger and to keep it misdirected (irrational) as long as possible.  They will do this because it fuels their purpose.

We need to approach this with sensitivity and factual reason.

I have a post ready to go on Facebook meant to inform and put in perspective deaths caused by misuse. I just need to decide when the appropriate time is.  I reviewed it this morning with some church leaders, and they say NOW.  I have not decided yet.  Today would get the highest readership, but this is still a raw wound that hasn't even started to scab up.

Better do it now before the next episode of "Dancing with the Stars".
Nobody will remember what you're talking about after that.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »

I have a post ready to go on Facebook meant to inform and put in perspective deaths caused by misuse.  I just need to decide when the appropriate time is. 

M, I invite you to post it here for feedback.

I find myself reacting to this one somewhat differently than those in the past, in that my desire to do something to change the public conversation has crystallized with this event. I am trying to feel my way into finding something worth doing to shift the thinking. It seems like it will have to be on the web in some way.

At this point I can see that it needs to be aimed at the folks in the middle, not at the anitgun nuts. It needs to be informative and an open discussion.

It needs to be about the distinction between danger of irrational people with weapons and the lack of danger from rational people with weapons trained for SD.

It seems like some of the information is about how do you recognize the behaviors of an irrational person that might be a threat. As well as what do you do if you think you found one.

It has to be not "preaching to the choir". How do you reach the mainstream in a useful way.

Still just thinking out loud as i respect the conversation here.

Regards,
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 04:19:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
JoeG, to share some thoughts on "changing the conversation".
While it may sound odd, we are lucky that earlier on Friday there was the knife incident in China .
Nearly the same number of casualties, but no gun involved .
It gives the lie to the "gun violence" narrative.
I commented to that effect on a news story and some liberal replied that the difference is knives injure, while guns kill .
We know that's BS, but it's easier for the uninformed to grasp if you say , that only makes a difference if you are pursuing a political agenda .
 If you want to seriously address the problem of violent attacks then there is no difference at all between attacks intended to kill people, and attacks intended to hurt people as badly as possible.
Second, as to your "audience", it's everybody. Friends, relatives, neighbors, anyone you might have a conversation with, letters to the editor, letters to your politicians .
Any time the subject comes up, or you can fit it in , keep hammering the basics,
It's not "guns", violently deranged people use whats available, if they can't buy a gun they'll steal one, if not that a knife, or home made poison gas as in the Tokyo subway attack.
The media caters to their desire for fame by turning every incident into a week long media event .
All mass attack perpetrators are messed up, it's not a "gun issue", it's a mental health issue.
Mass shootings only happen in "Gun Free Zones" where the attacker thinks his victims can't fight back .

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
The shooting at the Clackamas Mall has revealed what "the people" think the solution is to these attacks on society-an armed citizenry.  Like someone mentioned before if a teacher shouldn't be armed, or can't be, should they be a teacher? 
He who dares wins.  SAS

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
The shooting at the Clackamas Mall has revealed what "the people" think the solution is to these attacks on society-an armed citizenry.  Like someone mentioned before if a teacher shouldn't be armed, or can't be, should they be a teacher? 

I read that there was a CCW carrier at the Clackamas Mall and he had his weapon readied, but could not take a shot due to an innocent bystander behind the shooter. He said it was too big a risk if he missed.
Too bad he didn't have a clear shot.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
Evidently this situation was a little different than many others, but I/m starting to wonder what mental health medication these guys are on. Is there a drug company that has something that's got much worse side effects than they admit to...that causes maniacal behavior? Will scumbag lawyers be running ads in two years..."if you took so and so and killed your mom and dad, you may be entitled to compensation".
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:51 AM »
What isn't being brought up in all of this talk of more gun control, is the fact we've already had an Assault Weapons Ban. It was in effect for 10 years, and it did nothing. Especially in preventing matters like this. In fact last Saturdays edition of the Arizona Republic, (yet another liberal rag), listed in a chronological order, all of these school and mass shootings. There were just as many when the AWB was in effect from 1994 to 2004, as there were after. Of course the flaming liberals will not mention that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk