Author Topic: Beer question, please..  (Read 8184 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Beer question, please..
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
I'll second both of those.

Hefeweizen - is all I drank when stationed in Germany (West that is...) always served with lemon in it and most of the time a few grains of rice to keep it bubbling all the time.
Still good stuff.

Shiner Bock is awesome but no longer available up here in Idaho.... too bad.

I like Sam Adams light.... heavier than normal beer but lighter than a full Sam...

Also try this, not lemon though. Get a Pumpkin ale some raw sugar and pumpkin spice - mix sugar and spice together and coat glass rim like they do and then beer inside glass.

Great for fruu fruu party's and tasted DAMN good.

Not to mention the "coolness points" you earn mixing it .   ;D

Personally I'd rather be castrated with a rock than drink "Pumpkin Beer".
But that's just me, I don't like squash either.  ;D

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
Lots of really great beers out there waiting to be tested and tasted. 

If you want something a bit fruity and not bitter, try Leinenfeld Sunset Wheat.  It is a wheat-based beer with hints of blueberry.  Quite tasty.  Same company also makes a Shandy, a beer flavored with lemon.  But it's usually available just during the summer months. 

For something with a bit more flavor than most American beer, you might try Michelob Amber Bock.  It is a light brown beer, but not at all overwhelming or bitter.  You might find it meets your needs if you squeeze a bit of lemon into the glass.

Good luck dealing with the back pain.  It's never any fun.  I've had both hips replaced and my doc told me how much my life would change when the pain was finally gone.  It's like some great weight pressing you down and it impacts everything you do and even what you think--especially personal relationships.  He was right.  Once the pain is finally gone, it's almost a re-birth.  So much gets better so quickly.

You're in my prayers, my friend.

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
I can't help you pick out a beer because most of them weren't around when I drank beer, but I sympathise with anyone with a bad back. I just went to the doctor and told him it hurt worse than when I broke my ribs. His answer is to apply moist heat. WTH? He also told me to quit drinking but I'm self medicating because he won't give me anything. I'm taking lots of aspirin and drinking mixed drinks, and hoping my stomach doesn't start bleeding. I already get heartburn way to often. So yeah, I can relate.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
There's a San Francisco micro brewery, Limp wrist Lager.
I don't know if it's citrus, but it's certainly "fruity" .  ;D

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
There's a San Francisco micro brewery, Limp wrist Lager.
I don't know if it's citrus, but it's certainly "fruity" .  ;D

What did on SF micro brew "fruity" say to the other?

Here - let me push in......your stool  :o

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:01:02 AM »

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
CR, Frank, I'd say "thank you more than you know", but you do know, so thank you..
I'm nursing my first Mic Amberbock right now, and it's better than the others I've tried so far.. A little bitter but a step up from Bud Light!!
I'd still like to see a touch of lemon in the mix, but not sure about adding a drop of this or that to get it there..
I think I saw that Leinenkugel label and kinda scoffed at it as trying too hard to come up with a name.. What you're describing sounds good!.. Saw the Shandy and despite it sounding like what I'm looking for, I passed over it because of the price. Again, I'll get it next time I get over there..
It really is funny though.. I quit drinking beer, or anything, as a matter of course, back in 91 or 92. I picked it up again in the form of red wine, (only Beaujolais, the rest of it gives me a headache) when the back began to be much less cooperative..

Bed time.. I'm still reading, guys.. I'll take any information you can offer..
Good night and God bless!..
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
I know I must be showing my age here but the last time I had Rolling Rock, it was made somewhere in New York State..
When did this change..  :( I know Stella bought Bud, and Coors can't buy a Senate seat, but Rolling Rock was kind of a tradition as a NY (State) beer, wasn't it??

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I don't know if you can still find it anyplace, but one of the best beers I've had was  John Courage beer.  It is better out of a keg, but the bottles are good too.

I served it at several annual get-to-gethers with from 20 to 60 folks attending....  At each one, I found NONE of the beer drinkers wanted to go out and bring in their preferred beer...which almost always happens..   It seemed like every beer drinker liked it.  Not only that, but all of those who drank but didn't prefer beer did like it and drink it too.

Never heard anyone say they didn't like it.  Worst was that some, myself included, said the draft was better than the bottles.

I started calling it the Universal Beer.

If anyone can find it in the states, let me know...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
I know I must be showing my age here but the last time I had Rolling Rock, it was made somewhere in New York State..
When did this change..  :( I know Stella bought Bud, and Coors can't buy a Senate seat, but Rolling Rock was kind of a tradition as a NY (State) beer, wasn't it??

Rolling Rock is made in Pennsylvania.  Genesee is made in New York.  Both have become sex in a canoe beer.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
Rolling Rock is made in Pennsylvania.  Genesee is made in New York.  Both have become sex in a canoe beer.
Not sure what "sex in a canoe beer" is, though I'm admittedly curious!.. ???
It reminds me of oyster fishermen all drinking Lord Calvert, because it doesn't roll around in the boat..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk