Author Topic: Random Question for Information and General Discussion  (Read 1370 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Random Question for Information and General Discussion
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
The history of Great American Business and our nation's firearms industry is cottage industry.  Men with drive went for it.  As we try to change the tide (I know that BHO claims it changed a couple years ago, but I don't believe him) we need people with drive and ambition.

What does it take today to start a Second Amendment based business in today's market in the United States of America?

Identify your niche in this market (sales, manufacturing, distributing, training, facility, etc.), and how it could legally and economically be done.  I prefer a business that produces something and distributes it.

Let the party begin!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: Random Question for Information and General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »
Identify product or service, (New product or after market modification ?)
Trademark, copyright or license as needed
Business plan
Financing
Set up ( facility, staff, insurance, tooling, prototypes )
Marketing

In my opinion the most difficult part of the whole thing is coming up with the original idea .
Something that will be greeted with "hey, I could use one of those" instead of, Ho hum, another bolt action, AR, 1911 etc" .
Services are a little easier, how ever you need to study your market, why isn't there a good gunsmith in the area ?
Are there no good gunsmiths around here, or did the last one starve to death ?
If he starved to death was it because there was no market, or was he not reaching that market ?

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »
My hunch says to find a way to focus on the growing women's firearm market...not exclusively, but make it a priority.  

If you have a range with a few separate Woman's Only lanes, Women's Night for discount rates, Mixed Pairs casual competition and what ever other ideas might work.

Toss in some staff who can market to women and you might have a go at it.

Wouldn't be surprised if more men started turning up either.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
I agree with tom, the 2nd biggest hurtle is getting $$$$ to do it. Going thru the patten process is a pita and $$$.     just the patten process can cost 10s of thousands.      I looked into building a product a few years back.  It was going to be made out of injected moulded plastic( only way costs could be kept down)  long story short I was looking at about 50k.  That was just pattens and moulds.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
I agree with tom, the 2nd biggest hurtle is getting $$$$ to do it. Going thru the patten process is a pita and $$$.     just the patten process can cost 10s of thousands.      I looked into building a product a few years back.  It was going to be made out of injected moulded plastic( only way costs could be kept down)  long story short I was looking at about 50k.  That was just pattens and moulds.   

I worked on the prototypes of the "Lasik" eye surgery lasers, what TAB says is very true and if it requires any kind of Gov approval, like the Lasik did it's even worse because you can't even think about beginning to recover your investment until every lawyer in DC has signed off on it.
My employer wound up waiting almost 2 years for their money through no fault of the designer.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:19:25 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Tab is right. With original products the front end costs are pretty high. You could start out with similar products that you buy wholesale and market to your target customers, meanwhile working on your "breakthrough" product.  I like Solus' idea a lot too. Look how many women and men go to nightclubs on "Ladies Night". Fill a room or range with women with guns and men who like both will flock to you as well.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
I agree with tom, the 2nd biggest hurtle is getting $$$$ to do it. Going thru the patten process is a pita and $$$  just the patten process can cost 10s of thousands.. 

Is that taking divisions through North Africa and Europe? 
No, wait...that's the Patton process...never mind.

Just poking fun.....I've read that if you start a business, you better be prepared with 2 years of funding before profits are coming in.
Don't know if thats true but in this economy it very well could be.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Is that taking divisions through North Africa and Europe? 
No, wait...that's the Patton process...never mind.

Just poking fun.....I've read that if you start a business, you better be prepared with 2 years of funding before profits are coming in.
Don't know if thats true but in this economy it very well could be.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk