Author Topic: When is Glock going to evolve?  (Read 40816 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When is Glock going to evolve?
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
First off.... before I begin this Glock rant, in the interest of full disclosure (And so HAWKFISH doesn't get his panties in a bunch) let me say this:

I am a huge Glock supporter. I love my Glocks. Glock was the first handgun that I ever bought, and it is always the first handgun that I recommend. I LOVE GLOCKS!

Now, my question is When is Glock going to evolve?

Since the Glock was introduced in the early 1980s we have seen little new come out of the company that makes one of the most rugged and reliable handguns in the world. In 1982 they did something innovative by introducing the G17. It started an industry wide epidemic and launched a line of pistols that has become world renowned among law enforcement and military organizations. Since then we have seen little to nothing from the company.

Many companies have cloned the Glock design over the years and made improvements along the way , but Glock refuses to grow. Over the years, they have expanded selection to include almost every desirable handgun caliber. They have also made a few updates to their original frame design, but Glock as a company has really missed the boat. Although they have one of the most renowned names in the gun industry, they have refused to branch out and create anything other then their traditional striker fired polymer pistol.

Why they have done this is beyond me. They have some of the worlds greatest gun minds working for them. They have world class manufacturing facilities, and almost 30 years of gun manufacturing experience to fall back on. So where are the new models? Where is the Glock revolver? The Glock 1911? The Glock AR-15? The Glock tactical shotgun? The Glock bolt action rifle? The Glock rimfires? Where is the Glock micro auto loading pocket pistol?

It truly boggles my mind that Ruger would beat Glock to the punch and put out a polymer clone of the cult favorite Kel Tec P-3AT. I had been preaching this to my shooting buddies for years, all the while Glock drags its knuckles and does nothing. Who better to create a pocket .380 then Glock? I guess Ruger...... And they are going to sell a ton of those little pistols too!

Yes, we have seen some improvements to the Glock line of hand guns over the years. There have been three evolutions of the frame, but they have been rather insignificant and mostly common sense. There has been an addition of a tactical light rail, but that was mostly to convince people to buy their ridiculously over priced name brand tactical light. Oh and lets not forget the OD color option now available (Very high up there on the cool factor, yet purely cosmetic). But where are the significant improvements that everyone else in the industry realized were needed? Where are the ambidextrous slide stop and mag release? Where is the extended mag release button? Where is the interchangeable backstrap? Where is the double strike capabilities? Where is the match grade barrel? I could go on and on.....

Nearly 30 years ago Glock gave us one of the premier personal defense auto loaders and started an industry wide polymer revolution. Since then they have given us a knife, a shovel, and a flashlight. I don't know about you, but I feel a little disappointed. I am very brand loyal to Glock, and I would own an entire Glock arsenal if I could, but over the past three decades they have refused to evolve and give me the chance to go deer hunting with that Glock bolt action that I covet so much. The bottom line here is that Glock is leaving money on the table in both the civilian and military markets. Why do they not understand this? Well, its beyond me.... But I wish they would figure it out before Christmas!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: When is Glock going to evolve?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »
Try posting this on the Glock forum...The company might pay some attention to it there.  Remember change might be a good thing for Glock.  I for one (MOO) prefer the original frame without the finger grooves and I think they should offer that as an option but like my wife...they don't listen to me either.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
The Glock I really want is a Single Stack .45ACP. Think of a big G36

EDIT: Oh yeah one word regarding changing "perfection": 1911

Basically the same thing it has been with minute changes according to manufacturer.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
 Why would they want to try to break into already crowded markets, ( AR, shotgun, etc) when they have such a large share of a Market they invented ( polymer pistols ) Heck, the Glock name is synonomous with polymer pistls, ask hollywood  ;D  The other things you mention such as a match barrel are simply modifications of their current design. I'm betting that when Glock introduces something new, It will be REALLY new, a magnetic rail pistol or laser gun, something as wildly new as the "Plastic pistol" of the 70's

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »
Try posting this on the Glock forum...

You got a www on that?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:49:10 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »
Why would they want to try to break into already crowded markets, ( AR, shotgun, etc) when they have such a large share of a Market they invented ( polymer pistols )

Thats simple: Money. Any revolver, 1911, shotgun, AR etc that they make will sell - as long as it is made to the same high standards that their current pistols are. Right now they are leaving money on the table with gun sales that cant be completed simply because they wont manufactured it. From a business perspective, it doesnt make sense. From a consumer perspective, I'd be chomping at the bit to run out and buy it. 

I'm betting that when Glock introduces something new, It will be REALLY new, a magnetic rail pistol or laser gun, something as wildly new as the "Plastic pistol" of the 70's

30 years.... we're still waiting......

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
The bottom line here is that Glock is leaving money on the table in both the civilian and military markets?

The last I read GLOCK can't make guns fast enough to keep up with demand. Making money hand over fist. Large market share. I guess if it's not broken don't fix it. I may buy a GLOCK one day.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
The last I read GLOCK can't make guns fast enough to keep up with demand. Making money hand over fist. Large market share. I guess if it's not broken don't fix it. I may buy a GLOCK one day.

I don't know about all that. Yes Glocks are good sellers, but when is the last time you walked into a gun shop and couldn't find a Glock for sale? They are everywhere (you know, aside from Wal-Mart ;D). Very easy to find and very easy to buy. Not too many backlogs out there.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
oh they have made changes to glocks of the years... they just do tell you about it.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
My home club hosted the first GSSF, GLOCK MATCH, in Texas about 1992, the head of the Gssf at that time was Chris Edwards, and I think still is, higher ups were easier to rub shoulders with at that time. I told him I thought it would be a good idea to alter the frame design to accept interchangeable inserts for the back strap, arched, flat, thin etc... for different hand sizes and personal preference. I showed him how I would do it, and He thought it was a good idea. Next years match rolls around and I asked him if Glock had given any thought to my idea, and I'm not quoting, but something to the effect, Gaston Glock thinks his pistol is perfect :-[. I think it was 2 years later the Walther 99 came out using my idea, and now several are using it, just makes sense. I know from My contacts at Glock they have toyed with a carbine using Glock mags, and I think they would sell like hotcakes ;). But know one has seen one yet. They do have a .380 in europe, but it is on a 17 frame, it is just for those countries who don't allow military ammunition to be used by police or civilians. In short, you have to convince Gaston, and that is not easy. >:(
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk