Author Topic: What would you take on a similar trip?  (Read 1092 times)

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What would you take on a similar trip?
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Disclaimer:  I know it's my job to research individual state laws, various rules and regulations, etc., and I intend to.

I potentially have an opportunity to make a road trip most of the way across the country ending in Washington state and followed by a plane ride home.  I'm debating on if/what gun(s) to take.  Some of the routes are a little more gun friendly (as in states recognizing my permit) than others, but the destination does not recognize my permit.  I also may not have much say so in the route since I would be helping a friend move at their expense.  I've also never flown with a gun before; so, dealing with that would be new to me.  There are several threads about flying on here I intend to reread, shortly.  I will need to keep my load as light and small as possible do to very limited space and having to fly it back home; so, I will not be able to carry as much as I would probably like to.  I figured I would come on here to get some opinions on a couple of questions.

1.  Take a handgun, yes? Would either be a Glock 26 or a Glock 19, probably the 26.
2.  Take two handguns?  This is what I normally prefer, but I'm concerned about space and flying back with them. 19 & 26 
3.  How do yall handle crossing into states where your permit isn't honored?  Do you stop right before the line remove them, unload mags, and lock it all up? (see above disclaimer)
4.  Does anyone have a list of states were standard to us high capacity to them mags are illegal? (see above disclaimer)
5.  Does anyone have experience flying out of Seattle's airport with a gun.
6.  Is there an easier way to get the guns home safely and reliably, UPS, FedEx, etc.?
7.  Any suggestions on a reasonably priced and sized airplane approved pistol case?

I think that's it for now, but may add some as we go.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: What would you take on a similar trip?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
My $.02,  is mail the guns back to you rather then fly with them.  Its perfectly legal.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
I always carry either an AR-15 or a PS-90 on a "big" trip.  On business trips with dweebs I take the PS-90 as it carries in little pieces and it doesn't look like a gun case.  Handgun, not sure what the Glock numbers are since I've avoided the ugly things, but I take a 45 or 9MM whenever I roll.

As far as  I know, the only "approved" pistol case will be one you can lock...beyond that nothing I know of in so far as durability, etc.  Never flew out of Seattle and I don't run through states that restrict normal capacity mags to something like 10 or less.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
My $.02,  is mail the guns back to you rather then fly with them.  Its perfectly legal.

I was strongly considering that; it's why I mentioned it.

I always carry either an AR-15 or a PS-90 on a "big" trip.  On business trips with dweebs I take the PS-90 as it carries in little pieces and it doesn't look like a gun case.  Handgun, not sure what the Glock numbers are since I've avoided the ugly things, but I take a 45 or 9MM whenever I roll.

As far as  I know, the only "approved" pistol case will be one you can lock...beyond that nothing I know of in so far as durability, etc.  Never flew out of Seattle and I don't run through states that restrict normal capacity mags to something like 10 or less.

I would love to take the AR, but the whole room, extra checked bag, and being inconspicuous thing make it all but impossible to take.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Not that I do it a lot, but I would minimize. You'll be on the move, so the local stalkers won't have time to stake you out , so that's a percentage you can probably write off. You'll be in multiple jurisdictions, keep it simple.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:51:59 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
Flying with a gun is no big deal IF the gun is legal in the state where the airport is located (I've heard horror stories out of NYC and Newark). Basically, you go to the counter, declare the gun and have it in a locked case, ammo stored seperately, they give you a tag and you're good to go. As an added bonus, your luggage will be the first off the plane as the security guys will hand deliver it.
OTOH, UPS will ship no problem. Locally, the UPS store won't handle guns, you have to take it to the local hub (why, I don't know, its just their policy here). Still, given that airlines charge extra for checked bags, shipping might be cheaper. I'd leave the AR and take a Glock. Just keep it unloaded and boxed in states where your CCW isn't honored, unless you're in your hotel room. As for mag capacity issues I don't know the answer to that one. Have fun though, and don't sweat it. The McClure Volkmer Act says that if the gun is legal in the state where you started and in your destination, its legal in transit. This does not include CCW, and having it ready to hand in a vehicle might qualify. But in the trunk etc. it shouldn't be an issue.

PS As to cases. You can get a Doskosil hard plastic case for under $20 at Wally World or Cabelas etc. You'll need to buy locks, but it pased muster. Of course this was pre-9/11 so God knows now, but they're solid cases for the money.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
If you take the 26 and an extra mag, (my personal choice), you can use a 20rnd box of Gold Dots or whatever and have a handy place to put the ammo in the case with the gun when you check it. Just put it back in the box.
I haven't looked at an original Glock box lately but there might be holes that you can use to lock it. Or as suggested, buy a cheapy at Wallyworld and buy a couple of small locks.
Flying out of Seattle with guns is no biggie.
Check the airline site that you are going use AND PRINT THEIR RULES. Some dolts at the ticket counter don't know their own rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

As far as entering states that don't honor my CCW, I always follow the law and know deep in my heart that my cell phone will save me.
I also have a bridge for sale or lease. Cheap!
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk