Author Topic: Any one own a dillion primer tube filler?  (Read 5983 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Any one own a dillion primer tube filler?
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »
I hate filling primer tubes.  I was wondering if any one has one of these and was wondering how well they work.   not cheap, but if they work, it would make reloading much more enjoyable.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Any one own a dillion primer tube filler?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
I don't have a problem with using the primer pick up tubes. I load up 5 at a time and by 100 rounds when it's time to refill I'm ready to check things anyway.

The only issues I've heard of (other than price) is that about 1 in 10 primers goes in backward. That would be more annoying to me than filling tubes. I heard that a while ago so maybe they've gotten better.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
The prob is 100 rounds for me is like 2 mins.   about 3/4th of my actual press time is refilling primer tubes                       ps the 1050 was money well spent 

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
The prob is 100 rounds for me is like 2 mins.   

So? Beating 1 in 10 rounds apart because of backwards primers will take a lot more time and be more annoying than taking a minute to fill tubes, for me anyway.  Hopefully they worked the bugs out.  I have a 650 that isn't that much slower than the 1050, I just don't mind the breaks in pulling the handle.

You should have spent the extra $30k and got one of these,  ;D

http://www.ammoload.com/mark_x_pistol.htm
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:50:51 AM »
MY 1050  is about 3x as fast as my 650 was.   primer seating on the down stroke is a wonderful thing.  The bullet feeder also helps a bunch.  Its litterly keeping things full, and cranking the handle.  Its almost mindless.   yes you still have to pay attention, but there is no real "hands on " tasks like loading a case into the shell plate or placing a bullet on the case mouth.   other then filling things.  I only check about every 50 rounds, buy wieghing it and putting it in a case guage.   if it specs out the bin getts dumped in to the box of loaded ammo.    me sorting thing by wieght before hand helps a bunch.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:23:13 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
well I went ahead and bought it.   pricy, but I have 10k rounds of both 45 and 10 mm to reload this winter.   did a bunch of reading online.   there are basicly 2 kinds of people( out of those that actually own them)  those that love then and have maybe 1 or 2 per thousand primers in the wrong way.  And those that could not get the damn thing to work.  Its about 25 to 1.   so its worth the risk.   if its a pos, they get it right back.   I will let you know next week.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
had a package waiting for me when I got home today... Can't wait... Brass is being cleaned now, should be able to start adjusting things in the morning.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
Well a few 1st impressions.     1 its loud.  2  it does take some adjusting to get it to work.  3  the last 10 or so primers tend to take about half the "fill" time.    4 it can fill tubes 3x faster then I can.    I have 2k primers loaded up now, time to do some loading while my son is still asleep.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »
well loaded 2k rounds of 45 acp tonight, took about 45 mins.   I love not filling priming tubes.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »
well loaded 2k rounds of 45 acp tonight, took about 45 mins.   I love not filling priming tubes.

:flipoff:  I spent a couple of hours out in the garage loading 300 rounds of 45 on my Lee Turret Press.  Some time was spent making room for my work tool box (QC wanted me to take home my personal tools, so I took the whole thing  ;D ) and cleaning up some but still I can get about a 100 rounds an hour without getting blisters...

A Dillion 650 is at the top of my Christmas list  8)
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk