Author Topic: best pistol for IPSC/IDPA and carry!  (Read 18888 times)

tnroadrunner

• Very Active Forum Member
    • LubeDealer.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: best pistol for IPSC/IDPA and carry!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »
I shoot my XD9 Tactical in USPSA and my XD9 Service in IDPA as this is also my carry gun.
Bob
It's always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 GUN
AMSOIL Dealer
www.lubedealer.com/rgraflube

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
I don't know much about the Para's, but the GLOCK 23 (the model you said you're looking at) is an excellent handgun. I have a couple friends who have them, and I've shot one. They're accurate, reliable, and fit most people's hands. I'd say it'd be hard to go wrong with the GLOCK.   
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Trevor

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
Glock 19.  Enough said.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
I would have agree with Erik, Glock 34 and a model 17. I have a model 34 maxed out for unlimited.

Then a model 17 for personal defense or stock service pistol.

Now for the gravy, the model 34 has the Sevigny/Warren sights which of course I don't use with the Carver mount on there. But, I take the slide off the 34 and put it on the model 17, and now in essence I have the 34 iron sight combo again. 3 guns from 2. ;D

I've 20 mags between them, not a bad way to go. Now because of my job, I cannot carry on the strong hip or ankle, belly band would be ok, but I chose front pocket carry with a j frame 9mm S&W..  I sometimes have to crawl around on the ground in front of customers.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »
There is no such thing as a best gun for ..... fill in the blank!  If I had to pick (and I hope I never have to) I couldn't.  Many of the above mentioned can be made to work for more than one purpose.  Shoot as many as you can and buy one or two that comes closest to filling your need(s).  Practice and have fun and most of all be safe!

JMHO

Richard
Dedicated 1911 guy but open minded!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:31:29 PM »

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
Something you will use and train with for protection is exactly what you should shoot in IDPA, and every gun mentioned above is comparatively priced and fills the same role as a good defensive pistol.  Get the one that feels comforatable in your hand and that you have read up on and think you wont be sorry purchasing.  Lets face it, if you get into shooting more you WILL buy more guns.  My list is never ending of guns I want to buy.  All you can do is make a best guess and shoot it alot and only then will you be more educated on what you will want or need for the "next" purchase.  Remember, there is no right or wrong answer, what works best for me may not be the "cats ass" for you.  The market has a lot of great guns, go with youre gut, give us a status report, and see you on the range. 
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:04 AM »
As others have already stated, it comes down to what is best for you.  I will, however, give a nod to the XD.  I own or have owned Glocks, an M&P .45, and an XD .45 compact.  Straight out of the box, I shot the M&P the best, but had several failures to return to battery using different ammo, shooters, and with different round counts in the mag.  I traded it in on the XD, and after getting aquainted with each other, I don't regret it one bit.  As for the Glocks, they are great guns (always go boom), I just don't shoot them as well.  I guess it's the grip angle, but I personally will avoid them unless they're going to be used within combat distances.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk