Author Topic: .45 ACP COAL  (Read 10069 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
.45 ACP COAL
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
I'm movin' on with conquering problems in my shooting. 

My current nut to crack is why in my 625 individual cartridges all seem to seat just fine in the chambers but when I load in a moon clip it doesn't seat all the way in and the cylinder won't close?  I can push the cartridges a little and they will seat, but how do the guys in competition do it.  They seem to just throw the moon clip at the cylinder, slap the gun shut and continue shooting.

Do they have slightly over-sized chambers? 
Is their reloading die slightly undersized?
Are those special moon clips?  I'm using some from S&W and some from Cylinder and Slide so they should work.
What's their secret?

WELL.   Since I now have a brass chamber checker from EQW, I dropped a complete round in the checker and lo and behold it didn't seat all the way.   BUT I had checked the brass after resizing and it slid easily in and out.  What's different?

D U H   The bullet. 

The Cartridge Over All Length to be specific.     I've been seating as recommend in the reloading manual to a 1.2" COAL.  But just a little of the bullet is hanging up the cartridge.   I'm using Berry copper plated 200Gr hollow points, btw.   SO:  I seated one until it fits fully into the chamber checker without assistance.   I did 6 that way and put them in a moon clip.  What a dream to load now. 

So how far did I have to seat?  1.13"  I KNOW that the smaller capacity inside the case will cause the pressure to be higher, but I'm on the light side of .45ACP loads anyway (the joys of revolver is you only have to have a load that gets the bullet out the barrel, not also  operate the slide).   So I don't think it will be a problem.   I'll need to fire a few to check the MV and see how they feel.  Also research other reloading manuals to see what if anyone reloads this short, before I re-seat my entire inventory.

Okay, on to the next problem

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .45 ACP COAL
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
Glad to hear you solved the problem alf.  I wonder what the guys that don't reload do.  Will factory ammo work without a hickup?
Someday I'm going to have a .45acp revolver that will work with moon clips.  i always thought that was a nice set up.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
just for grins  ;D   drill a hole lengthwise through one of your plated bullets, place it on a "stick" and see if it will pass easily through the front of each chamber in the cylinder... try the same thing with a factory fmj...you may find that the plated bullet is a little larger than .452" or that one of the freebore holes is tight... if that is the case, it will swage down the bullet before it reaches the rifling, and not be very accurate...

my older M25 had the firing pin on the nose of the hammer, and I had to remove about .015" off the face of the hammer to get a reliable firing pin strike when using full moon clips

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
Les, I really hadn't thought about that.    The bullet should pass through the front half the cylinder without problem.  It may just be the "rim" where the cartridge headspaces that's a little tight.  Hmm.   Thought to gnaw on, since I use moon clips, I don't really need the neck headspace.  (No I'm not getting out Michael's Dremal tool!............. right away.)

I guess some experimentation is in order tonight.     Both with my 625 and my 1911.

Berry's are "double struck" or sized and should be within tolerances.

Good question Blackwolfe, maybe I'm overlooking something else and have jumped to conclusions. 

You betcha' though that the "pro's" have their ammo made by their sponsors to their specs.   A number of companies (Atlanta Arms for one) offer ammo specifically for IPSC power factors.   And there's probably no end to the "tuning" that pros might have done to their guns.   

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:24 AM »
Okay.  did some checking this morning.

First the deeper seated bullets also seat flush in my 1911.  That explains the failure to lock up sometimes.

The freebore of my 625 and the EGW chamber gauge are all around .451.   As is the bullets.   You can "seat" a bullet in the "front" end of either but it does not move freely.   Think of it as about the same size as a case that has been run through the expander die.  A tight fit.

I think this is a good dimension for a revolver in that it keeps the bullet aligned and seals the chamber so gas can't get around the bullet.

I did a quick check with my 9mm in its chamber gauge and it seats just a couple of mils of flush.   9mm have never given me a problem in Glock or XD's.   My .357 chambers have a little more play in them.   I didn't mic them but the bullet seems to slide in very easily.

Now on to research on-line reloading resources.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:54:42 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
alfsauve... do you use Lee carbide sizing dies for your autoloader calibers?  if not, they size further down the case and web area, and alleviate a lot of chambering problems.... I use them on all my Dillons, even the 1050

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
alfsauve... do you use Lee carbide sizing dies for your autoloader calibers?  if not, they size further down the case and web area, and alleviate a lot of chambering problems.... I use them on all my Dillons, even the 1050

Les, I use Lee set for 9mm and Hornady for .45ACP.  With both sets I have the Lee final sizer/crimper that basically resizes the case after bullet seating.   The case, once I eliminate those too bulged to size, turns out not to be my problem.  It's the bullet.  Seated out too far it was hanging up on the freebore.  Turns out it was happening on my 1911, but most of the time the momentum of the slide would seat the bullet those last couple of mils.

I checked with one printed manual and two on-line sources.   A COAL of less than 1.2"  isn't uncommon.   The original SAMMI spec calls for a COAL of 1.25, but that's with Lead Round Nose, 230gr bullets.   Seated at that depth the ogive on the bullet starts right about at the case mouth.   Mine are 200gr, copper plated, truncated cone, hollowpoints.  They have a longer base section to make up for the shape and the hollow cavity.   I have to seat to a shorter COAL to get the ogive starting point down near the case mouth.

You think after reloading over a 40 year time span, I'd figure all this out by now?

Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
I used a 22# or 24# recoil spring with my 1911s...they would take a set to 18-20#.... always wanted to make sure the cartridge made it into the chamber (actually it cancelled the muzzle flip pretty well)...if you decide to change bullet design or weight (I find it is easier to make power factor with a heavier bullet)... check out Precision Delta...they do have a minimum order, but shipping is included (your Postman will not like you as they use the "if it fits, it ships" boxes )

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
Les,

Precision has good prices, but not the models bullets I need.   

I don't shoot lead anymore because I do too much indoor shooting and even outdoor you can create a rather thick fog doing a "Bill Drill" or "El Presidente".  Plus for some shooting involving "reactive" targets" some ranges are insisting on hollow points or soft points.

I got in with Magnus Bullets a number of years ago and get a good deal from them.  They're just across the border from me in AL.   I get my  .357 JSP from them.   For the 9mm and .45ACP I use Berry Manufacturing plated.  These use the same load as lead but aren't much more expensive.   Both ship USPS Flat Rate and yes the mail man drives down my drive way as each box usually is in the 40-50# range.

What I need is a good jacketed .44magnum .....cheap.  Like in the $0.16ea range.   I use the Berry Plated ones but I have to keep the MV below 1,200, which for most of my shooting is okay, but I'd like to have a couple hundred full power loads for hunting/silhouette on hand too. 

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
Shot the .45ACPs that were set back to 1.13" COAL.   No problems.  Couldn't tell any difference in recoil.  Accuracy seemed okay.  I did a Bill Drill to finish with 3 moon clips.  No where near anything competitive, but I felt good being able to "throw" the next set of rounds into the cylinder, slam it close and keep shooting.

I'm going to try and do an indoor chronograph in the morning in the basement.  I may not have suitable backstop material.

Onward and upward.   Now what holsters are permissible in IDPA?
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk