Author Topic: .22 magnum revolvers  (Read 5160 times)

michael48

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.22 magnum revolvers
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »
I would like to purchase a .22 magnum snubbie revolver. The S&W is out of reach and that leaves the Taurus 941 and Charter Arms Pathfinder. Both companies have had problems in the past. I worry about quality. Does anyone have knowledge about either of these firearms. What would you recommend?

tombogan03884

Re: .22 magnum revolvers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
I've had Taurus revolvers and they are fine, they are S&W clones, I've never had a Charter Arms, but friends who do are perfectly happy with them.
I would go with the Charter since it's made in the US, but otherwise there's nothing but personal preference to choose between them.
As for past issue's ? Haveing worked for T/C for a total of 6 years I will tell you a secret.
Every one f*cks up on occasion.
I would not buy "first year production" of anything but after the bugs are worked out I would have no problem with either company.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:02 AM »
I would like to purchase a .22 magnum snubbie revolver. The S&W is out of reach..............I worry about quality............ What would you recommend?

I recommend you go with a S&W.    First they offer a larger variety of styles, sizes and weights.  Secondly, while they have had their problems at times, you'll never regret the purchase or second guess your decision.

GunBroker, AuctionArms and GunsAmerica are your friends.  All sort of good deals, even on NIB.  Bud's seems to be the lowest price on-line dealer.

If I wanted a .22Mag for carry (or in my tackle box) S&W makes a great carry .22mag, the 351PD AirLite.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »
I'm gonna tell you to go with a Smith, myself.. Ruger makes a fine revolver, too.. A Taurus will never give you a smooth trigger. I've yet to find anybody who will polish a trigger on one and if you could, it would void the warranty. I've never had a Charter but folks who have them have never had anything bad to say about them that I've ever heard.
If trigger is important to you, ask a gunsmith (with a good/proven reputation) in your area..
27 years ago, I had a Blackhawk in .22 Mag that I shot gators between the eyes with. Good gun.. The only thing that didn't die the first time I shot it was an armadillo that I just flat missed on. I grieved for days over that thing..
As far as price goes, get on GunBroker and look around. I just found 202 revolvers in .22 Mag. Not all were new.. I'd love to havea .22 mag revolver today! I left that Blackhawk when I joined the Army and it's long gone to a step brother/sister or in-law and passed down a generation or two by now.
I don't know what you're looking to use it for but if you're gonna put it on a boat or whatever, it needs to be stainless or nickel, but not pretty, necessarily..
Go on GunBroker before you decide what you can't afford..
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

michael48

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
I guess I should have made it a bit more clear, I don't want a S&W revolver. I've owned them before and won't spend that kind of money on them again. I have been burned more than once by buying used guns and have quit that practice 20 years ago. I guess nobody seems to have any firsthand experience with the guns I had in mind so I will ask elsewhere. Thank you to those that chipped in a comment. I will look for a Charter Arms forum.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:50:21 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »
I don't want a S&W revolver. I've owned them before and won't spend that kind of money on them again.

I worry about quality.

The problem is the two go hand in hand. If you want one, you have to part with the other to obtain it. Quality never comes as cheap and plentiful as problems brought on by the lack of it. You are not going to get a quality revolver from Taurus or Charter Arms. You might get one that functions properly. That is a long way from quality. Both of these companies have a list of unsatisfied customers that is long and distinguished. Their quality is spotty, and their customer service is much the same.

You might get a "good" one, or you might not. If you part with the money on a good S&W you will buy it once, and the quality will last forever. Also, if and when you do choose to sell you will have far more interested parties than you will for a used Taurus or Charter Arms. Just something to think about. You will be hard pressed to find unsatisfied customers on a Charter Arms forum, anymore than you will find Ford lovers on a Chevy forum.

Chipmunk6

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
Howdy micheal48,
Look around for a High Standard Sentinel MKIV. Mine has a
3in barrel and is a very accurate good quality revolver. Cost
me about $150.ºº 15 years ago, saw one on Gunbroker a
couple months ago for $250.ºº.

Chipmunk6