Author Topic: Defense ammo for AR  (Read 8963 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Defense ammo for AR
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
4) Throw away your Fed. Tactical Bonded ammo, it is a poor choice for the overpenetration scenario and is pathetic when shooting through glass. It is a 'Classic Marketing Lie'.

5) Purchase 40 grain TAP (.223) for CQB work.
It is a Polymer tipped spitzer boat tail, part #83256, ballistic coefficient =.200: This bullet offers high velocity even in shorter barreled weapons with reliable functioning in the AR15 weapon system. It also offers rapid expansion, high fragmentation and little retained weight. This round is intended primarily for situations where its' limited penetration, extreme fragmentation and reduced ricochet potential are desired.

6) Purchase 75 grain TAP (.223) for outdoor, vehicles and everything but CQB work. It is a boat tail hollow point, part #80265, ballistic coefficient =.390: This match quality bullet is the Hornady company's heaviest TAP offering in .223 caliber. It demonstrates rapid expansion and a fragmenting bullet for both the precision rifle and the carbine. This bullet demonstrates deeper penetration than the 55 and 60 grain bullets yet penetrates less than most police handgun service rounds. It penetrates glass with minimal deflection, due to it's retained weight. The bullet shows minimal break up on sheetrock, retaining most it's weight and penetration.

For what's affectionately called a "poodle shooter",.....use the best you can, research the ballistics,.....but first and foremost,....

HIT YOUR TARGET....

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing that info TWyacht. I honestly did not know there were two separate grain amounts of Hornady TAP. I have the 75 grain for home defense.

Mullannix930

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
The 40 grn is what I am looking at. I have some other brand that uses the 40 v-max that I amgoing to test side by side with the 40 grn TAP. 

As to the issue of penetration... I don't want a round that will penetrate too much. This is for in my home and I want to limit the risk of over penetration of walls. If I was outside I would use the heavier stuff, but I want fragmentation to keep the unwanted damage kept to a minimum. And if I am unable to stop them with the penetration of the first round... that's why I have and plan on a multiple round engagement.

Besides, my .45 will blast through more walls than my .223 hands down.

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
Any thoughts to twist rate using the lighter projectiles?
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

Mullannix930

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
I'm running a 1:9 with great results in the 36grn and up to the low 70's. I have heard several say that they are able to go as low as 40grn in a 1:7. I have also heard that the 40's will blow apart with that fast a twist. It's just a try and see for each rifle.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:18:38 AM »

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »
Yes, it was my understanding that the faster twists would spin the lighter rounds apart. I have not bothered reloading anything lighter than 55gr due to my 1:8 barrel.  I will have to try some lighter loads to see how it does.  Are you reloading or using factory ammo?  In either case, what projectile & speed are you loading to or what factory ammo are you using?  I ask because I am sure that the actual bullet brand, type, & shape could have a lot to do with the bullet surviving a fast spin.
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

Mullannix930

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
I use speer and hornady. Hornady is my main load, but i'm not sure on the VEL at this time. I have had good luck with the 40grn vmax in both hornady and the Fiocchi factory loads, but they may be a little light for a 1:8. The 40-50 grn may do good in yours but you would have to test them. I got the Fiocchi 40grn V-max for about $20 for a box of 50. After I chrono them I will work up some loads to use for range time. The only trick is finding the time to shoot.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
Presently using TAP 55-gr in "house gun," Spike's Tactical w/ Aimpoint.

Am at GUNSITE this week with a ton of ballistic gel...will be running those TAP through the jello for SG!

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Defense ammo for AR
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Any word on getting some of the new M855A1 enhanced NATO rounds? I would buy the ammo or preferably just the bullets for reloading.  They say that those are supposed to even the field with the 7. 62 ruskey. ... not sure I buy that.. ...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »
Will be looking forward to the SG episode with the TAP and gel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk