Author Topic: Leather working start-up!  (Read 18184 times)

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leather working start-up!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
I might as well chime in here.  I started doing holsters 35 years ago and until about five or so years ago did all my sewing by hand.  I fianlly bought a good main line machine....I went the route of the Tippman Boss. and quite frankly (sorry Denster) the machine is a piece of junk...extremely hard to keep adjusted and changes stitch lengths on it's own...I know several good leather smiths in my area that all have gone through the same problem with the Boss and most of them have gotten rid of them.  I currently use a Ferdco Pro-2000 (a Juki 441 copy) and for the past five years have never had to readjust the tension and it holds the proper stitch length until I purposely change it.

Leather wise...Wickett & Craig...they will split the leather down to what ever thickness you want free of charge and you can buy as many sides as you want.  no minimums.....if you go directly to Herman Oak...the minimum is 10 sides per purchase...It will take you quite awhile to collect and accumulate tools.

If you want to start making holsters...a good book to get is Al Stohlmans  "How to Make Holsters"...this is the first book I bought 35 years ago and I still refer to it on occasion...can be purchases at Tandy/Leather Factory...or other suppliers
Proprietor:  Outrider Gun Leather
Outrider (Formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA)
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »
I second pretty much everything Denster and Dalton said, I also use the Tippmann Boss and love it.  I haven't had it long so I have hand stitched many holsters and if you intend to sell them then hand stitching tends to get old real quick.  I went from spending about 4 hours per holster to about 10 minutes with the Boss.  It is an investment though, even used they are still around the $1k range.  If you decide to drill your holes then make sure you use a 1/16" bit or smaller, basically if you can pull your needles through easily by hand then your using to big of a bit.  But an Awl is the best quality way to go. Best of luck..
I also recommend checking out www.leatherworker.net as it is an excellent resource also.

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Outrider

The Boss seems to generate either love or hate. I couldn't do without it and the two I own have sewen over 4000 holsters and assorted gear with very few problems. The Juki clones are great machines but with a powered machine, and I have one, it actually takes me longer to sew a holster than it does on the Boss. That said when it comes to belts and larger lined holsters the powered machine gets the nod.

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
Question...have you tried to sew bulletloops with the Boss yet
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
I'm glad the Boss at least worked out for some....it seems the older cast irons versions are a little better then the aluminum ones...but everyone I know that has ever owned one hates it...I recently picked up an account with a custom knife maker based entirly on the fact that he has had so much trouble with his Boss   another friend uses his strictly to put holes through the seam then he hand sews.
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:44:44 AM »

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
Question...have you tried to sew bulletloops with the Boss yet

Yes I have. On gunbelts it is not something I care to repeat. On butt cuffs it works great.

C.J. Roberts

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
I'll throw my two cents in here on sewing.
I drill my holes with a dremel tool and a 3/32" bit. It is quick, and the bit burnishes the hole to help prevent tearing. I space them 5 to the inch. The last two holes I make 1/8". The needle and thread almost fall through the 3/32" holes, making sewing easy.
The last two 1/8" holes I have to pull through with pliers, but I pass the thread through two or three times and cut it off close, so I don't have to try to tie it off.

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
C.J...first of all welcome to the forum.  I used the dremal method for many years until I got the Tippman Boss,which was short lived then I took the plunge and bought a Ferdco Pro-2000.  It is a great machine and with it's 16" throat turning projects is a breeze.  Expensive but I have had it 5 years now and it has paid for itself nmany times over.
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

malabar

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
As others have said, it all depends on what you have in mind.

I spent about $6,000 setting up my small shop. 
I bought a Cobra Class 4 machine. Delivered to my door it was around $2,800 (shipping was about $600).

I bought an Osbourne leather splitter for about $500.

A Palmgren arbor press, $100.

Airbrush and compressor, $100.

Handtools -- maul, cutting mats, pounding mat, edgers, punches, strap-end cutters, bag punches, etc -- $1,000

Hardware -- screws, snaps, grommets -- $150

Belt buckles -- $60

Leather, $800

Liquids, $300

I already had a workshop attached to my home and a lot of power equipment.  One other thing that will be really handy is a belt sander. I have an industrial 6x48 that runs at 3750 rpm, but it's far too aggressive. I'm building a 1X42 I think will be perfect.

tk

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
Just a suggestion on a sander. I have the belt sanders and the 1X42 works pretty good but what I found works best is a spindle sander. I have the one from Harbor Freight that I bought on sale for $89 and it has made sanding the edges of holsters an absolute breeze.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk