Author Topic: Appleseed and being a Rifleman  (Read 5974 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Appleseed and being a Rifleman
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »
I mentioned it in my "I'm back" post, but I shot my 2nd Appleseed a couple of weeks ago.  I scored a 222 and 223...good enough for Rifleman both times.  I also decided to become an instructor...a long journey but I believe in the mission of the organization and the instruction is top notch.

What is Appleseed, you ask?  Project Appleseed is a nationwide program that teaches rifle marksmanship skills and reconnects Americans with their history.  The premise is that America was built on freedom and self reliance; the ability to keep and bear arms and our marksmanship capabilities are a demonstration of that independence.  This program seeks to rekindle our skills and that lost sense of history.  Check out the website at www.appleseedinfo.org

From a shooting perspective, here's a test for you.  Draw a 1"x1" square and place it at 25 meters.  Do you think you could place 5 rifle rounds into it?  How about with iron sights, prone and using only a sling for support?  If you can, you have what it takes to be an Appleseed Rifleman…the ability to hit a 20” target at 500 meters (the Rifleman’s Quarter Mile) using a rifle, surplus ammo and iron sights. Most people scoff at hitting something at 25 meters with a rifle...but most people can't do it.

Our local club hosted its first Appleseed clinic on October 1-2.    We had a fantastic turnout, with 24 shooters ranging in age from 12 years old to…well, let’s just say a few of the group qualified for their AARP card.  It was a diverse group, with 6 females, skill levels from beginner to expert and even one hearing-impaired shooter.  Rifles ranged from 10-22s to AR15s to an SKS and a 91/30.  

After a safety briefing, the weekend started with a “Redcoat” target to get an understanding of everyone’s skill level.  We then learned the 6 steps to taking a shot including sight usage, breathing and trigger control.  The clinic focuses on 3 shooting positions – standing, sitting and prone – along with the proper use of a sling and body mechanics to get a rock solid shooting platform.  Skill checks use a scaled version of the Army Qualification Test.  A score of 210 or better (equal to the Army’s Expert rating) earns you the coveted Rifleman patch.  Our clinic produced 6 Rifleman – which was noted as a high percentage.

My daughter Haley wanted to shoot the weekend with me.  I was dubious...while she shoots quite a bit, it has all been "fun" shooting.  I took her and her brother out to give them a taste of the kind of shooting we would be doing.  Here brother declined to go but she still wanted to try it.  The instructors were great with her and she was tireless...still wanting to keep shooting at 6:30 pm on Saturday.  My favorite quote from here was, “Dad, this isn’t boring at all!”  A quick poll of participants at the end showed smiles all around, great camaraderie and huge skills improvement for everyone.  

I think we've produced a generation of shooters who are great from a bench or bipod and high powered scope.  Give them "real" shooting with a rifle and they can't hit squat.  Our understanding of history and the incredible sense of duty and personal fortitude that it took for the colonists to rise up has been lost also.  Appleseed is trying to wake up people to our heritage and hopefully motivate them to get off the couch and do something.  I guarantee that you will come away from an Appleseed weekend with a better understanding of history, a MUCH better understanding of your rifle and it will improve your shooting, no matter what your discipline.  I shot a 3-gun match over the weekend and I think my Appleseed training helped in my flash sight picture, focus and trigger control.

Here's some pix from the weekend.

More pix here

http://tinypic.com/a/2nvnq/2
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Appleseed and being a Rifleman
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
congrats on your achievement and your dedication to the sport. We at Integrated Close Combat Forum  have many involved in Appleseed. There is a sub catagorie for Appleseed with some good threads, Ayoob mentioned his experience as well. All guests are welcome to peruse the forum .

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
The Appleseed program is an excellent program. I've taken 2, had difficulties with my knee on the timed up and down parts, plus wholesale gun disasters due to not being able to sight them in or work them over before the weekend. Had scopes fall off, misfiring ammo, etc.

Third time's the charm? Hope you're one of my instructors KPR, but that would mean you coming here to ND!  ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
That would be great!  Maybe a muley hunt thrown in also!
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk