Author Topic: Down Range Radio #50 - The Appleseed Project  (Read 8862 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Down Range Radio #50 - The Appleseed Project
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
The Appleseed Project is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman.
With guest Michael Adam.

http://www.downrange.tv/radio/50.htm

digiears

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Down Range Radio #50 - The Appleseed Project
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
Can't wait to listen to this show.  I love the Appleseed project.  I'd be at the shoot nearest my home next month, but I'm getting my CCW training that day!    ;D  Either way, it's a Second amendment day for me.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
I am a big supporter of this project.  Nice to see something done on this, and getting more exposure.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
I have been invited to one by a guy at my club.  The only thing is I do not own a semi auto except for .22 caliber.

Does anyone know if I can shoot this course with a lever or bolt action?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »
You can shoot the course with whatever you have.  Given the current cost of ammo, and the training being mostly done at 25 meters, .22LR is the way to go anyway.  If you bring a rifle of centerfire caliber, you will do better with one that will take strippers or magazines.  You will have to work more with a boltie, but it can be done.  I have seen Mosin's, K98's, K31's, and Enfields.

I have built up 2 10/22's, one for me, and one for my son, just for practice and for doing Appleseeds.  These have the Tech Sights that are selling like hotcakes.  You can run them with a scope if you wish.  You can use whatever you have, just make sure you have a sling on it.  The M1 Garand/M14 Web sling is the preferred one for them, but I use the leather Match one as I prefer it.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:31:59 AM »

Project Appleseed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »
... The only thing is I do not own a semi auto except for .22 caliber.

Does anyone know if I can shoot this course with a lever or bolt action?

Sounds like Bidah had this question covered well, but I'd like to reiterate that Appleseed is very much about "run whatever you have."  While a .30-caliber, mag-fed semi-auto of some sort is the ideal rifle for a Rifleman, the Appleseed instructors can teach you to shoot with anything.

Bidah also mentioned that a lot of people are building up "Liberty Trainer Rifles", which are Ruger 10/22s with peep sights, auto bolt release, mag release extension, and a few other parts depending on your personal taste that will mimic the functionality of an M1A.  More information about how to build up your own can be found in the Appleseed forum here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32.0

And, the full schedule of Appleseed events can be found here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1043.0

Hope to see you on the Appleseed Trail!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Sounds like Bidah had this question covered well, but I'd like to reiterate that Appleseed is very much about "run whatever you have."  While a .30-caliber, mag-fed semi-auto of some sort is the ideal rifle for a Rifleman, the Appleseed instructors can teach you to shoot with anything.

Bidah also mentioned that a lot of people are building up "Liberty Trainer Rifles", which are Ruger 10/22s with peep sights, auto bolt release, mag release extension, and a few other parts depending on your personal taste that will mimic the functionality of an M1A.  More information about how to build up your own can be found in the Appleseed forum here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32.0

And, the full schedule of Appleseed events can be found here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1043.0

Hope to see you on the Appleseed Trail!

Thanks,

I am talking to a guy named Trey in my area (St  Pete) about going to the November shoot in Myakka.

Also, you got any tricks for a guy whose eyes are getting old?  My distance vision is OK but my near is getting bad.  Hard to see the sights, thats why I put peeps on my lever gun.

And welcome to the forum!  I am sure you'll get plenty of questions.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Well Haz..  What rifle do you want to run?  If you can run with a peep, and you have a 10/22, then I would suggest the Tech-Sights as they are quite good.  After that, you could put a low power, or any scope on it for that matter.  A scope may seem to be easier, but it really is not.

My LTR's are small time.  The only additional parts are the sights.  I modified the stock bolt release to work correctly, and did a trigger job, and that is it.  I may add the mag release, but I don't have any trouble with the stock one.

-Bidah

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
Well Haz..  What rifle do you want to run?  If you can run with a peep, and you have a 10/22, then I would suggest the Tech-Sights as they are quite good.  After that, you could put a low power, or any scope on it for that matter.  A scope may seem to be easier, but it really is not.

My LTR's are small time.  The only additional parts are the sights.  I modified the stock bolt release to work correctly, and did a trigger job, and that is it.  I may add the mag release, but I don't have any trouble with the stock one.

-Bidah

Bidah,

Believe it or not I don't have a 10/22!  I was thinking of bringing my lever 45/454 (peep) and then trying to figure out what my son (14 yr/old) can bring.

I have a shall we say eclectic, rifle collection.

One bolt tube fed 22, one bolt mag fed 22, 30-06 Savage bolt, two lever guns (puma 45/454 and Pume 44mag), Universal 30 carbine (currently having mag problems), Nylon 66, and that's about it for rifles.

BTW what did you mean by "LTRs"?

Hank Ellis

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
Did an Appleseed shoot a few months ago. Before the event I was wondering just who these people are. Camo commandos? Mall ninjas? Way out there radicals? Hmmm. Only one way to find out. Infiltrate.

What I got was two days of excellent rifle instuction and a history lesson among those who have the same line of thinking as I do. Militia? No. Camo hidden bunker bubbas? No. What was there were patriots who want to steer our beloved country down a better road. Politics was hardly a topic of conversation. Mostly rifle marksmanship. However I did have a great conversation with a heavily pierced and tattoed young man who made me realize that there is a future in todays youth. Ignore the visuals. Dude was the real deal and could be my spotter any day.

Run what ya brung. I brought a heavily modified 10/22 and my 3-gun AR-15. Both had 14X scopes. Ended up qualifiying with both. Easy? No. Do-able? Yes. If you can follow instructions you will be a better rifle shooter. The hot ticket is a magazine fed semi-auto rimfire but if you don't have one just grab something out of the safe and go.

Granted the instruction heavily leans toward NRA High Power type of shooting but so what. Not all targets are at bad breath distance. Maybe, just maybe you have to make a 400yd shot to a 6" square target. This where Appleseed shines. I play around with NRA type unsanctioned 4-Position smallbore shooting. My scores went up 7% after the instruction. The skills taught easily transferred to centerfire arms and my scores went up there also.

Go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk