Author Topic: Buy American!  (Read 16224 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Buy American!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
There are a lot of good reasons to buy American made.   And a lot of good reasons not buy Chinese (mainland Chine) products.   However, the Broken Window theory in the third paragraph is flawed.

Any money saved buying a less expensive product is then available to be spent buying other products and services.    If I could find an American made toaster (presumably more expensive) then I would have less money to buy bacon (American grown and processed) to go with my toast.  Then the American farmer loses out to save the American toaster makers.   (That is assuming you can find an American made toaster.  Our 50 yo Mary Proctor toaster died last year and none that I could find were made in the US.)

Let's take his T-shirt example.   I go buy 7 t-shirts and spend $35 more buying American made than foreign made, then it's $35 less to spend on other things.  So I'll stay home and have toast and peanut butter instead of going out to eat.  The local restaurant and their workers have less business and less income, and possibly go out of business.    The money thing balances out one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying American made and supporting local farmers/ranchers/industries, especially the micro-brewers ;), but the macro-economics of it isn't the reason why.   

Look at it this way.

If the American made t-shirt costs $20  and the foreign made costs $15 and you buy the American made one, that puts $20 back into our economy to pay t-shirt makers...who will then buy toasters which pays toaster makers who go out to eat...so over and over that purchase stimulates the economy.  I know it diminishes with each level as Uncle Sam takes his cut and folks stash some away under the mattress but that is still 4 times the impact on the US economy than that from a foreign purchase and spending the $5 saved here.

I guess the foreign t-shirt sellers living here get a bit of the $15..so it isn't quite 100% of the $15 we lose.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
Texas Jean Company, Wrangler, American Clothing, some Carhartt, Woolrich, Filson, etc...

Go back to the beginning of this thread and I listed numerous sites where you can buy US made clothing, shoes, socks, jackets, etc..  Go to the company web site and search on US made and most will have a small portion of their clothes still made in the US.

Levis is a sad disappointment...and their quality of late just sucks!

T-Shirts are not hard to find made in the US.  Just have to do your homework.

Timothy

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
I do not know that you CAN buy an American made T shirt or footwear other than running shoes (I know Nike is still in the US ) You will not find a US made incandescent light bulb at any price.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/shirts.html

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
Justin boots..... my boot of choice for 25 years......can't wear the pull-on's like I prefer, but the lacers are good too.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Sumpin's wrong wif yer leg, Peg!

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:32:59 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »

Levis is a sad disappointment...and their quality of late just sucks!

Levis ( and Dockers) are pro gun control, so many sources say.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »

If the American made t-shirt costs $20  and the foreign made costs $15 and you buy the American made one, that puts $20 back into our economy to pay t-shirt makers...who will then buy toasters which pays toaster makers who go out to eat...

Yes the point is the money goes round either way.    Problem with your example, is I only have a t-shirt.  If I buy the cheaper one, then I can have the t-shirt plus a coffee to spill on it.   Which then means I'll need to buy laundry detergent to wash it.  ;)

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
Sumpin's wrong wif yer leg, Peg!

Yes, we all know that.  It's what's wrong with his head that worries us.
Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
Alf, your detergent statement doesn't wash (pun intended) because to buy detergent to wash it anyway cause u get it dirty wearing it.  Now u could go out and buy bib overalls instead of jeans and your coffee spill would be on the bibs and not the t-shirt.....just sayin'!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
Alf, your detergent statement doesn't wash (pun intended) because to buy detergent to wash it anyway cause u get it dirty wearing it.  Now u could go out and buy bib overalls instead of jeans and your coffee spill would be on the bibs and not the t-shirt.....just sayin'!

If you have bib overalls, what do you need any shirt for?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk