Author Topic: Questions for C&R FFL holders  (Read 19865 times)

WIshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions for C&R FFL holders
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
I have been thinking about picking up a CZ-82 and got to reading a little bit about C&R 03 FFL.  I had not realized that there can be other benefits aside from receiving C&R guns.  In some cases, having your 03 on file will also entitle you to 01 dealer-level discounts on other items, including parts, which are sold at these places.

My questions are:

Do you find your C&R helpful when ordering parts or ammo? 
Which dealers and wholesalers do you get discounts from?
Do you have access to some dealer pricing lists from websites that you register your 03 FFL with?
I guess it is only $30 for 3 years, is it silly not to get a C&R if you are a "gun guy" who orders over the internet alot?
Any reason not to do it?

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Questions for C&R FFL holders
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
I have saved 10 fold what my license cost with the discounts. Most of your internet based sales honor them (Midway, Brownells, Graf & Sons and many others). I never even bought any guns under the license.  ;D

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

mrmatt2you

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
Okay, stupid question, what is a C&R?

Buzzcut

• NRA Life Member
  • Forum Member
  • Life is to short to be taken seriously
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »
Curio and Relic

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

C&R License a quick primer

The Federal Firearms License 03 (FFL03)/C&R License allows you to become a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R License) firearms. This includes pretty much any firearm older than 50 years as well as certain special configuration and certain “oddity” weapons. The old saying, “they just don’t make em like they used to” applies here.

The FFL03/C&R License is useful for anyone who is interested in purchasing surplus / military surplus rifles and/or pistols. The fee for the C&R is $30 for three years. Your benefit is that it allows you to purchase this type of weapon without doing an FFL transfer, which in my area costs between $10 and $25 dollars, depending who you purchase from.

The C&R enables you to acquire approved firearms and weapons through state lines, transfer said weapons amongst licensed individuals, and order these weapons through mail (FedEx or UPS).

Can you sell weapons with a C&R License

This area is a little tricky. Yes, you may sell your C&R acquired firearms, however you can’t do it as your “livelihood”. You can also “dispose” of or sell C&R weapons to individuals whom are not prohibited within your state and also to a licensee residing  in another state.
What’s a C&R weapon

Curios or Relics->
Firearms interesting to collectors for reason other than normally associated with weapons intended for use in sporting or use as defensive or offensive weapons. Firearms classified as curios or relics, must fall into a category below:

* Firearms made a minimum of 50 years before today’s date, not to include replicas thereof;
        * Firearms certified by a curator of municipal, State or a Federal museum that displays firearms as curios or relics possessing  museum interest; and
        * Additional firearms that derive a great portion of their value from being novel, bizarre, rare, or due to their association an event, historical figure or period.

You need to keep a record of all of your transactions, but that’s not a big deal. The best resource for obtaining a C&R license is found here, I’m not going to re post everything they listed, since they already have the most complete reference.

Following their directions, you should receive your C&R License withing a month or two. The only hard part (once you get help to fill out all of the paperwork) about getting the license is finding your CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) information, which is fairly trivial; either Google for your area’s Police Department (for me it was Fairfax County Police Department) or possibly call your county or city non-emergency number.

If you call, ask for the name and business address of the Chief of Police for the purpose of obtaining an ATF Federal Firearms License. When you want to start making purchases from one of the approved gun dealers you will need to send a signed copy of your FFL03 to the dealer.

http://federal-firearms-license.net/c-and-r-license/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:17:41 AM »

david86440

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
This is why I got a C&R.

This is also why I let it expire!

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »

It is one of the different Federal Firearm License you can get. It is a "Collector of Curio and Relic" license. It allows dealers and others to ship qualified firearms directly to you, w/o having to transfer through a dealer. The BATFE has a long list of qualifying firearms. There are severals conditions to get put on this list, the most common being, manufactured more than 50 years ago.

It also comes in handy as a lot of internet dealers offer a discount on purchases. In addition, in my home state of Missouri, you are required to have a FFL to own NFA items (suppressors/automatic firearms), and this qualifies for this.

Brian

WIshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:18:25 AM »
I have saved 10 fold what my license cost with the discounts. Most of your internet based sales honor them (Midway, Brownells, Graf & Sons and many others). I never even bought any guns under the license.  ;D

Brian

This is what I thought might be the case...do you also find it saves you money buying ammo? 
I don't see myself buying a lot of older firearms but ammo, mags and misc. parts and gun gear for 3 years.....a little discount could go along way.  Could help friends out with orders also.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:32 AM »
One thing, Any fifty year old gun qualifies, but some dealers will only handle the guns specified on the ATF list because the 50 year rule can involve serial number searches that they don't want to be bothered with, for example, Winchester model 94 30/30, was it manufactured in 1960, (over 50 ) or  1963 (under 50) one is OK the other is a crime.

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
This is what I thought might be the case...do you also find it saves you money buying ammo? 
I don't see myself buying a lot of older firearms but ammo, mags and misc. parts and gun gear for 3 years.....a little discount could go along way.  Could help friends out with orders also.

I can't really speak to ammo savings, because I don't buy ammo online. But it does help with everything else. Reloading equipment & supplies, and as you mention, mags, gun gear, etc. Also, as to the group buy thing, I would NEVER exploit my discount for family & friends  ;) LOL!

Brian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk