Author Topic: bullet pullers or how to fix an oops  (Read 12481 times)

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: bullet pullers or how to fix an oops
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »
Never had a bullet damaged by a whack-a-mole.  Mine is padded at the bottom.   

Mine doesn't have a pad and will damage soft points. I just find the press mounted easier if you have a bunch to do.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Put a cotton ball in the bottom of it. Or a small piece of cloth.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
Put a cotton ball in the bottom of it. Or a small piece of cloth.

Thanks, Tom, I was going to put a piece of rubber in but I don't use it enough. I still will use to press mounted puller for any number over a dozen or so. It's faster, quieter and less hassle for me any way.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
Mine doesn't have a pad and will damage soft points.

It's only cosmetic. Bullet tip damage is really nothing to worry about.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »
It's only cosmetic. Bullet tip damage is really nothing to worry about.

Funny I always thought the bullet tip was what guided the bullet through the air and any damage there would upset the bullet and cause lack of accuracy.

Perhaps I missed the joke?

Pecos

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:04:26 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Funny I always thought the bullet tip was what guided the bullet through the air and any damage there would upset the bullet and cause lack of accuracy.

Pecos

If you are looking for one hole groups, yes. But for field use, minute of Ahole, Minute of venison, not so much.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »

Pecos

No joke.
There was a bullet damage test done in one of my hundred or so gun magazines.

They took a rifle round, I believe it was an '06, and ground the bullet to a 45 deg. angle at the tip - the pics looked like took off about 1/4" total.
More severe damage than ANY puller, whether inertia of collet, would do.
The bullets shot just fine and grouped just like their unaltered brethren. IIRC, the range was 100 or 200 yards. 

The only way they could get the bullets to do something weird was to load one backwards.
(with a reduced powder charge due to the full diameter of the bullet hitting the rifling all at once.)
That one tumbled but still hit the target.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
.......Now the press mounted collet type pullers. They are NOT hard to set up just follow the directions. (I know, I just lost all my at-a-boys.) If used correctly they only put minor scratches on the bullet. You only have to put enough pressure on the bullet to get it out of the case and remember when the bullet exits the barrel it is all scratched up anyway. These are much faster and cleaner to use. The bullet is in the collet and the powder is still in the case. The only down side is you must have a collet for each bullet diameter (22, 24 30 etc.).

Now having said all that, if you only have a few bullets to pull (a dozen or so) use the inertia puller. If you have a bunch to pull use a collet type. That's what I do and it works for me.

I agree with the above from Pecos. I disassembled 600 factory rounds for a project and used a bullet puller from RCBS, which I highly recommend- http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=680804

-FA

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

Pecos
You could cut the tip off a bullet and have little or no affect on accuracy, however damage the base of the bullet and kis accuracy goodbye.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
You could cut the tip off a bullet and have little or no affect on accuracy, however damage the base of the bullet and kis accuracy goodbye.

Funny how the physics of that works, but for the most part you are correct.
Kind of like an arrow's flight being stabilized more by the fletching than the tip.

Some of the most accurate bullets on the planet are Sierra MatchKings. They are hollow point boat-tails. You would think a bullet like their BlitzKing (with the plastic tip) or a FMJ would be the most accurate...but they have found through research that the coefficient from the hollow tip, combined with the design of the boat-tail derives the best accuracy.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&brandID=1
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk