Author Topic: What Am I Doing wrong?  (Read 7231 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: What Am I Doing wrong?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »
OK, I solved my problem, BUT! I created another. I bought a RCBS decapping die and no longer have the problem of the decapping pins pulling out. The model I bought has "headed" pins, that don't allow them to pull out. The new problem is breaking the pins. I bought a pkg of 5, in addition to the one it came with, and tonight  I went thru all of them. Is there a secret to getting them centered? I just need to get thru about another hundred or so. I really like this style of rod/stem over Lee, just need to figure this out.

Brian

The best way to center the pin would be to have an already deprimed cartridge raised into the die with the pin in the flash hole before you tighten the die.  Since the die you are now using is not a sizing die, it should center on the flash hole.  

Bonanza/Forster makes a press named Co-Ax which allows the die to shift forward and back in the frame while letting the shell holder jaws shift left and right.  This allows each case to "center" itself in the die. 

The press is single stage but it allows very quick die changes.  It doesn't look as robust as an "O" press but is should handle any of your normal reloading tasks and any of those you choose not to run on a progressive, if you have one.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »
tonight I went thru all of them. Is there a secret to getting them centered?

They are centered when you assemble them or at least close enough if the flash hole is anywhere near where it's supposed to be. 

From other boards LC brass was mentioned as having a small flash hole, gives some folks problems but not others.

Military brass has crimped primers. You can get a decapping rod from Sinclair or get a Lee hand loader and punch them out, then ream or swage the primer crimp away.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
Thanx for all the replies. I FINALLY finished depriming all of the brass, and cleaned and sized most of it before I got tired and quit for the night. I finally got the hang of using the RCBS decapper. You're right, the secret was to go slower and feel the pin go through the flash hole. If you don't feel it, raise the handle and try again. Also, if it felt too hard after reaching the primer, just pull the case and throw away. The problem headstamp was IMG.

I have an idea for the perfect decapper. You take Lee's idea for a "sliding" rod/stem, so that it gives when it reaches too much resistance. And add the replaceable pin idea the RCBS has. Especially with the "headed" pins that prevent being pulled out. Who wants to bank roll this idea?!?  ;D

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk