Author Topic: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?  (Read 15727 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »
This isn't the most pleasant thing to discuss, but I don't know anyone else who has had it. Monday I went in for out patient surgery to have an infected Sebaceous Cyst removed on my back. I'm a little pissed about the whole thing because I've had this for a while, (over a year), and showed it to my doctor a long time ago. He said not to bother with it because they sometimes go away by themselves. It was then quite small and not a problem.

About 3 weeks ago it became very large, (about the size of half a golf ball), red and sore. I went back and he told me it was infected, and he was going to send me to a surgeon because he said it would be much too painful to remove in his office. A week ago Monday, (the 7th), I went to see him, (the surgeon), for the initial examination and he booked the surgery for this past Monday, (the 14th), in the hospital as an out patient procedure.

He told me because of the infection he would have to "remove some skin over the top of it". During the week that followed waiting for the surgery it really became inflamed, painful, and began to drain. I had the surgery done, and they kicked me to the curb with a prescription for 40 Vicodin, and said to leave the bandage on for 48 hours before taking a shower and changing it. Yesterday afternoon I took the bandage off and I have a 3" by 2" hole in my back close to a 1/2" DEEP! I was shocked. I had no idea he was going to remove so much tissue! I can't imagine how long this is going to take to heal? Has anyone ever had anything like this done? I could post a picture of it but it is a large wound and really graphic. They never even told me how to properly bandage this thing. I'm going to the pharmacy this morning to get some supplies. The last thing I need is to get this thing infected before it heals. Right now it feels like I've got a red hot branding iron sitting on my back. I just wish I was better prepared for what I was in for!  Bill T.

tombogan03884

Re: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
If you had it removed before it became infected it would have been much easier. My Dad had several removed years ago. The doctor slit the skin and popped it out. He looked like he lost a knife fight but was back to work in a couple of days.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
Tell me about it. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have insisted on having it removed back when I first discovered it. Now I'm in for a painful healing process that will most likely take months.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
You will heal faster if you look at it this way, It's a small price to pay for not dieing from blood poisoning,  it most likely doesn't hurt any worse than the infected cyst, but now you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. (not a train coming at you )
Depending on what other meds you may be on (blood thinners will mess you up ) a positive mindset will decrease pain and speed healing.
Another thought, this would be a good time to practice self defense drills as the pain in your back will act as a handicap similar to an injury. (Just be careful about breaking it open or popping stitches )

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »
Billt,

Ask your doctor or pharmacist about antibiotic packing.  My mom had one removed two years ago right about now.  It was larger than a golf ball.  The made a two and a half inch incision and removed the cyst through that leaving a large hole in her side. 

She was given antibiotic packing - gauze strip that is soaked with an antibiotic ointment.  Everyday she had to go to the clinic and they would remove the bandages and packing, and then pack the wound full of new packing.

I would think that since yours is more of a crater than a hollow pocket you could apply this yourself.  They did the packing for the first four weeks, and then just left it bandaged for the next month.  She healed shut in about two months.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:06:39 AM »

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
It should smooth back over some as the fat grows back. 

"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Be nice RW, That's Muscle !    ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
The doctor was talking about a "wound pump" or vacuum. I've heard nothing but bad about these things. They can cause a lot of problems, and they are bulky and difficult to wear, not to mention they run about $100.00 a day, and insurance doesn't cover a dime of it. Melanie just talked to the doctors office and they said no antibiotics. Right now I have it covered with a 4" sterile gauze pad and tape.

It's not too bad when I sleep on my side, which I do normally anyway, but it is really sore if I lean back in a chair. I sit upright when I'm on my computer, so then it's not too bad. If I take the Vicodin I get an upset stomach, and a sore back. so it's easier to just suffer without it. I just wish I knew how long this was going to take to heal. I can't imagine what I'd do if I lived alone?  Bill T. 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
Why do we always end up with this crap on our ass or back  :'(
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Vicodin seems to effect most people that way, See if they can give you something else, like Percocet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk