Author Topic: source of reloadable 7.62 x 39 -  (Read 5613 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
source of reloadable 7.62 x 39 -
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
partner in the farm and his son got theyselves an SKS  ::) - anyways looks like it's time to start reloading another caliber - whats some decent boxer primed 7.62x39

how badly does an SKS chew the brass?

and yes I've seen the guys 'converting' berdan brass to boxer - NFW
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

tombogan03884

Re: source of reloadable 7.62 x 39 -
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
There is American made 7.62 X 39, Brass cased and Boxer primed, but it is about double the price of the steel cased.
I think Remington and Hornady have it.

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
partner in the farm and his son got theyselves an SKS  ::) - anyways looks like it's time to start reloading another caliber - whats some decent boxer primed 7.62x39

how badly does an SKS chew the brass?

and yes I've seen the guys 'converting' berdan brass to boxer - NFW

Some of the steel cased ammo being imported is now made with boxer type primers which can make the reloading of steel cases much more practical.

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
There is American made 7.62 X 39, Brass cased and Boxer primed, but it is about double the price of the steel cased.
I think Remington and Hornady have it.

Privi make 7.62 x 39 what about S&B?
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
Privi make 7.62 x 39 what about S&B?

My S&B stockpile is berdan primed it's quite old though. The newer stuff I don't know.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:08:05 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »
Midway has it from S&B

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=295405

"This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases."

$11.59/20             :o

Badgersmilk

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
I've been handloading this caliber for a while now.  Remington UMC is reloadable and you can get good deals on it once in a while.  Winchester makes some thats reloadable as well.  One issue though.  At least my SKS, and all my friends (one guy has 6 he shoots regularly!) ALL dent the CRAP out of cases.  Some could be straightened back out, but it's a bottle necked case, not much you can do to fix dents below the neck.  My own, and other SKS's I've seen put some serious scratches down the lenth of the cases as well. 

All the loading I do in 7.62x39 is with new Winchester brass, and 123gr. SP bullets.  Accuracy over junk like Wolf, or surplus, Silver Bear, whatever, is notably better.  Some of the SKS's we shoot like the Remington UMC just as well, but not many (and not mine).

If you think SKS's dent brass...  Look at what's left after the stuff goes through an AK!  At least mine beats the POOP outta cases, and kicks them no less than 20' straight out the side of the gun!

If you really want to re-use brass in this caliber, Remington has been marketing a sweet little bolt action!  It's manufactured by CZ if I remember right, but they put a nicer walnut stock on the ones they stamp "Remington".  Model 799 I think.

BTW, If you need clips (YES "clips") for the SKS, you can find great deals on them on ebay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk