Author Topic: hydrogen peroxide as water purification  (Read 3715 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
hydrogen peroxide as water purification
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:36:46 am »
I remember in the Scouts years ago it was taught hydrogen peroxide could be used to purify water - google fu is weak - what was the amount of peroxide per gallon to add?

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

The Down Range TV Forum

hydrogen peroxide as water purification
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:36:46 am »

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
Re: hydrogen peroxide as water purification
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:07 am »
http://www.ehow.com/how_6182395_purify-water-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Never heard of that one before, but I guess people have been doing it a while.
There can be slaine
No sacrifice to God more acceptable
Then an unjust and wicked King

-John Milton

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
The jury is out. It has been used in municipal water systems in Europe and supposedly beats fllourine and is on a par with chlorine (I'm skeptical). Thing is, nothing I've read (except for the article cited above) talks about it in terms of survival stuff, eg, one liter/gallon at  a time. We all know iodine and chlorine works. Why mess around? I guess its better than nothing, but I'm confident with four drops of iodine per liter. On that note, you can get a nice purifier for less than $100 (I like the MSR mini-works at around $80). I'd go that route if you camp and will use it anyway, and aren't just looking for a survival situation. If you don't, a bottle of iodine or iodine tablets is sure easy and proven.
FQ13

m58

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:48 am »
Two right off the top thoughts on hydrogen peroxide:

1.  The amount it takes - 1/8 cup hydrogen peroxide vs. less than an ounce of chlorine bleach per gallon of water;

2.  Hydrogen peroxide is unstable.  It has a short shelf life, is hurt by light and if not sealed tight in its bottle.

Those two issues alone make storage for use in an emergency lean toward bleach.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:11:50 am »
Use powdered chlorine like you use in your swimming pool.  67% available chlorine, lasts a long time.  Liquid bleach is also unstable .  As to how much to add, it all depends on the quality of the water being treated.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:27:54 pm »
The jury is out. It has been used in municipal water systems in Europe and supposedly beats fllourine and is on a par with chlorine (I'm skeptical). Thing is, nothing I've read (except for the article cited above) talks about it in terms of survival stuff, eg, one liter/gallon at  a time. We all know iodine and chlorine works. Why mess around? I guess its better than nothing, but I'm confident with four drops of iodine per liter. On that note, you can get a nice purifier for less than $100 (I like the MSR mini-works at around $80). I'd go that route if you camp and will use it anyway, and aren't just looking for a survival situation. If you don't, a bottle of iodine or iodine tablets is sure easy and proven.
FQ13

just another thing that can be used
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.