Author Topic: High brass vs. low brass shot shells  (Read 12680 times)

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
High brass vs. low brass shot shells
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
So I am loading shotgun shells with slugs and currently have high brass shells.  I am using the lee 1 oz foster style slug traveling at around 1500 ft/per second.  I am curious if I can use low brass shells for this as well?  Thanks for any info/help.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: High brass vs. low brass shot shells
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »
This is indeed a very good question.  I reload slugs (and shot) for my multi-gun stuff, and I use low brass for all of them.  I am loading mine around 1200 though.  I just don't want to get thumped that hard. :D

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »
I've been told that the high / low brass doesn't have so much to do with the function of the shell as to identification of the shells.

Funny story about shell I'd when I was a wee lad my friend and I hunted a lot of rabbits - now there were also a lot of ferral dogs and coydogs so we usually carried a couple #4 buck shot along with our #6 rabbit thumpers.  Anywayz a couple bunnies get up I blast one my buddy Flathead busts another.  Flathead is quicker on the reload than I - but his second shot goes BLAM! instead of boom.  He'd grabbed the wrong shell out of his vest an hit a bunny with a load of #4 buck.

:o
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »
Interesting thread. Why do we have high brass and low brass? How do they differ?
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »
Interesting thread. Why do we have high brass and low brass? How do they differ?

ok looked it up on shotgun world - seems high brass is left over from paper shell days - seems with paper shells magnum loads would burn holes in the paper - its not needed in the plastic shell world but it's expected from hunting shells
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:18:34 PM »

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
I am pushing them around 1,500 ft for hogs, deer, and zombies.  I just wasn't sure if it was a big deal or not. 

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »
I am pushing them around 1,500 ft for hogs, deer, and zombies.  I just wasn't sure if it was a big deal or not. 

The international Coalition for Undead and Necrotic Terminations reccomend only hiwall brass to be used on Zombies, it has something to do with ability of blood blowback and brain matter seeping in to exposed shells with low walls.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:01:55 AM »
The international Coalition for Undead and Necrotic Terminations reccomend only hiwall brass to be used on Zombies, it has something to do with ability of blood blowback and brain matter seeping in to exposed shells with low walls.

There you have it.  The Death Knell for short wall shotgun brass. 

Sell what you have before word gets out.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Don and WTR100  made my comment unnecessary

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Hmm, we have grizz and zombies, so maybe I should get some high wall and load them up a bit faster :)  Thanks guys, I learned something.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk