Which Progressive reloading press do you prefer

Dillion 650
18 (69.2%)
Hornady Lock n Load AP
4 (15.4%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose  (Read 20515 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »
As an owner of 2 Dillon progressive presses I would say at this time if I were to invest in another it would be the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP for one very simple, specific reason. The powder measures. If Dillon loaders have a weak link it is in their powder measures. They are the sliding bar type, and are made from die cast Aluminum. I have had the powder measure replaced twice on my Dillon Square Deal because it seized up because fine grained ball powder like H-110 got in between the main housing and the powder bar causing it to bind up. Dillon casts these housings and does not machine them further. This creates very loose tolerances between the powder bar and the housing allowing this to happen.

Hornady on the other hand uses a precision turned, rotating drum and a micrometer adjustable chamber that rotates inside a precision bored housing. The result is a much better fit between the two. The Hornady system also offers much better mechanical advantage in it's operation by the nature of it's design. It rotates instead of slides back and forth. Overall it is a much better system. My Dillon loaders have worked well over the years, but I avoid fine grained ball powders because of the issues I just mentioned.

Also I don't use long grained stick powders because they shear very poorly with the Dillon sliding bar measure. I also like the Hornady twist and lock die bushings as opposed to Dillons sliding tool head. It results in a much stronger set up because you don't have the massive cut out for the large, sliding head. Yes, it takes a bit longer to change out dies, but not having any play in the press because of it is worth it. Strength in a press offers repeatability. That repeatability translates to better dimensional control which means greater accuracy. I'm most likely going to invest in one more loading press down the road, and have it strictly dedicated to 9 MM. That press will be a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP with an automatic case feeder.   Bill T.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:15:40 AM »
Thanks for the insight Bill,

I'm still vacillating on brand.   The powder measure being an issue with Dillion.    I've figured that I only need 4 stations so price isn't the issue.

It's a post-Christmas purchase so I've still got time to do some more reading.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the insight Bill, I've figured that I only need 4 stations so price isn't the issue.

That was another thing I forgot to mention about the Hornady. It comes standard with 5 stations. In order to have 5 stations on a Dillon you would have to move up in model to the 650, which is more expensive. Most of the time 4 stations will do, but it's nice to have that 5th station. If you don't need it, simply leave it empty. You have to figure a minimum of 4 stations when loading straight walled pistol cases.

1.) Resize, deprime, and reprime.

2.) Bell case mouth and charge powder.

3.) Seat bullet.

4.) Taper crimp, (auto pistol).

On revolver loads you can seat and crimp in the same die, but I like to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die which requires another station. That is where having a 5 station press really pays off. Another little feature I like about the Hornady is all bearing points on the press are fitted with automotive type grease fittings. I have to oil my Dillons from time to time, then put a towel down to catch the excess that drips off. That's always been a pain.  Bill T.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »
In my researching I came across this web site which has some very good information.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/11/02/hornady-lnl-ap-9mm-part-i-hd/

They have videos on reloading with the Hornady that are very instructional.   What grabbed me was the use of those few little "extras" that any press can use to help.   

I'm really sold on 5 station operation and the ease with which the LnL can be configured for different operations.    I can convert it to a single or two station press in just a few seconds.   I like to tinker so I see how I can easily make  low primer warning as well as adapt Hornady's powder checker into a aural system.   
Will work for ammo

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 06:55:01 AM »
 I like to tinker so I see how I can easily make  low primer warning as well as adapt Hornady's powder checker into a aural system.   

You could most likely buy Dillon's warning systems and simply modify them. I know the primer warning "system" is simply a rod with a cap on the end that activates a buzzer when it gets low enough.   Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:28:07 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
You could most likely buy Dillon's warning systems and simply modify them. I know the primer warning "system" is simply a rod with a cap on the end that activates a buzzer when it gets low enough.   Bill T.

One of my thoughts.   The Dillon's powder checker I think is usable as is, but is pricey.   The low primer warning is so easy to make, I probably have all the parts I need right here.

After I've get the press set up and learn how to use it then I'll see what options I really feel I need.   Got to order it before 12/31 though, because Hornady is offering 500 bullets free rebate with the press.  H-m-m-m   500 InterBond .338 Caliber 225 Grain Boat Tails are about $275!  Maybe half in .264 and half in .338.
Will work for ammo

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »
My guess is they will extend that offer. Last year they were offering 1,000 free bullets until 12/31/09. This year they dropped it to 500. With the economy so bad, and a lot of these loaders now in stock at various sporting goods retailers like Cabela's, they will most likely keep the bait in place. A lot of loaders were sold during "Hussein Fever", which has now died out, and will be all but totally dead after the election tomorrow.  Bill T.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
As an owner of 2 Dillon progressive presses I would say at this time if I were to invest in another it would be the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP for one very simple, specific reason. The powder measures. If Dillon loaders have a weak link it is in their powder measures. They are the sliding bar type, and are made from die cast Aluminum. I have had the powder measure replaced twice on my Dillon Square Deal because it seized up because fine grained ball powder like H-110 got in between the main housing and the powder bar causing it to bind up. Dillon casts these housings and does not machine them further. This creates very loose tolerances between the powder bar and the housing allowing this to happen.

Hornady on the other hand uses a precision turned, rotating drum and a micrometer adjustable chamber that rotates inside a precision bored housing. The result is a much better fit between the two. The Hornady system also offers much better mechanical advantage in it's operation by the nature of it's design. It rotates instead of slides back and forth. Overall it is a much better system. My Dillon loaders have worked well over the years, but I avoid fine grained ball powders because of the issues I just mentioned.

Also I don't use long grained stick powders because they shear very poorly with the Dillon sliding bar measure. I also like the Hornady twist and lock die bushings as opposed to Dillons sliding tool head. It results in a much stronger set up because you don't have the massive cut out for the large, sliding head. Yes, it takes a bit longer to change out dies, but not having any play in the press because of it is worth it. Strength in a press offers repeatability. That repeatability translates to better dimensional control which means greater accuracy. I'm most likely going to invest in one more loading press down the road, and have it strictly dedicated to 9 MM. That press will be a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP with an automatic case feeder.   Bill T.

Bill, Unique Tech offers a powder slide by Arredondo that they claim will eliminate the problem you mention.  Might get a little more use out of your Dillon.  Check out the machined tool heads and Tool Head Clamp kit that might help repeatability.

It comes with the Micrometer Powder adjustment feature but costs $95.

Here is the link: http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1267

Here is a the claim:

If you use Vectan SP2 or other super fine grained powders, you know how the powder can leak around the powder bar and even jam the Dillon powder bar. The Arredondo Accessories plastic Powder Drop Slide has been proven to cure this problem.

We have arranged with Arredondo Accessories to carry their Powder Drop Slide with our Micrometer Powder Bar Kit preinstalled. You get all of the advantages of the Arredondo Powder Drop Slide PLUS our Micrometer Powder Bar Kit™!

Need super small powder drops? These powder drop slides are customized, exclusively for UniqueTek, to allow even smaller powder drops than the standard Arredondo Powder Drop Slide. They will meter down to 0.07 grians (with Win 231) and they meter very small powder drops more accurately than the Dillon extra-small powder bar. If you are loading small centerfire cartridges like the .32 S&W Long for ISSF Center Fire Pistol and other target competition, this is THE powder bar to use!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Placed the order
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
MidwayUSA has the Hornady Lock N Load for $406.    Plus the $15 MidwayUSA rebate, plus Hornady's bullet rebate....which isn't so great, but free bullets is free bullets.

My wife likes a bargain (see auctions) and so I placed the order.  Didn't get all the accessories, but shell plate, extra primer pickup tubes and powder dump.  Should be here next week.   Works out perfect as I 500 pieces of brass cleaned and ready to reload.

What sold me is the flexibility of the Lock N Load.   I have 300 rounds that are already re-sized, de-primed and expanded.  With Hornady' system it is so easy to put in or take out individual dies.   
Will work for ammo

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Alf, I have the Hornady Pro-Jector (Pre LnL) One thing to watch for is the primer feed, it likes to flip primers out and over every once in a while and that can cause problems if you don't keep an eye on it. Also the auto powder drop can stick in the up position from time to time, watch out for that as well. You want to use as smooth a stroke as possible each and every time to keep things consistent. If anything doesn't feel right STOP and see what is causing the problem. Hope this helps you from running into the problems I had with mine.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk