Which Progressive reloading press do you prefer

Dillion 650
18 (69.2%)
Hornady Lock n Load AP
4 (15.4%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose  (Read 20511 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
Okay, I'm thinking of a progressive press this Christmas.  But question is which.

Dillion 650 or Hornady LnL AP? 

Okay Dillon has the reputation but Hornady is a little less and has some features I like.

Both are a little confusing as to what comes with them and what doesn't.  The way I priced it, Dillion would work out to $800 and Hornady to $500 with the same basic options.

The way I read it, the powder checker on both takes up one of the 5 stations, but can the powder measure be used with my expansion die?    I need 4 stations for my dies.  Re-size, Expansion, Seating and Final sizing.   If powder has to be separate then I can't have the powder checker.

And why doesn't Dillion's pistol dies have an expansion die?   I haven't found an explanation for why they don't think that's necessary.

Oh, features Hornady has I don't think Dillion has (but you can set me straight).
- Powder feed only if case is present (prevents spills)
- Flexible case retention so case can be removed/replaced at any step
- Cheaper powder checker (though not 'electronic')

Dillion has a plethora of accessories and parts, including part kits to keep you running.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which Progressive Loading Press would you choose
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:11:34 PM »
How many cals. and how much of each you are going to load might help us to help.  I only load pistol...no place to shoot rifle so the Dillon 550 is what I have.  Have loaded ? thousands on it.  Don't have the ceiling height for a 650 or probably the L&L.  I don't have the low powder sensor and have never needed it.  I have a good light placed so that I can check for powder in the cases and I check the powder hopper often.  Dillon has a video for sale covering the 650 or whatever...you might see if anyone on the forum has one to lend.  Also get a copy of the "Blue Press" it can be of help.  Call Dillon and have them answer any questions.  Hornady probably has a CS line also.  Cal. change time is a big thing also.

Good Luck,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
These days I would  be looking to get a Conservative press, not a Progressive one.   ;D

On the Dillon, the expander is in the powder die.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
I have a Hornady Projector, (Pre Lock N Load) Wish I bought the Dillon 650. I have to "retime" the Hornady a couple times a year, I have a friend who has the 650 with 100,000 + loaded rounds with only a few minor repairs needed and Dillon sent the parts out quickly and for free. It doesn't get any better than that.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:44:13 PM »
The 650.    it only drops powder, if there is a case there.

Also if something breaks dillion will take care of you.

Or be a baller like me and get a 1050 with a KISS bullet feeder.   All I have to do is keep the hoppers full and pull the lever.  I've been thinking very hard about hooking it up to a motor and just sit back and watch it load.   ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:30:35 PM »

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
My next press will be a Dillion.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
I like my 650. I use it for .357 Sig and .45 ACP. Add the automatic case feeder and it really rocks. Oh, yes be sure you spring for the powder checker.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
How many cals. and how much of each you are going to load might help us to help.

9mm about 1,000 rounds a month.   (I might add .40SW and .45ACP down the road, but volume isn't that high right now)

Dillon has a video for sale covering the 650 or whatever.
Also get a copy of the "Blue Press" it can be of help.
Call Dillon and have them answer any questions.
Hornady probably has a CS line also.
Cal. change time is a big thing also.

Too ADD, to watch, but may have to force myself
Have Blue Press.
Calling good idea
Hornady has, from what I read, great CS as does Dillon
Easy caliber change would be nice and would allow using for other, not so prolific, calibers.

Also, there's almost too much info in forums.  I started here, with my friends to somewhat limit responses.  Would take forever to read every post about Dillon, but I am starting to wade through some of them.  Accurate Reloading, THR and others. 

Will work for ammo

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
You can probably do your 1000 rounds in an hour and a half or less with the 650....from walking into the reloading room to walking out with your loaded rounds and with no rushing.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
So-o-o-o-o-o-o,

I'm reading up on the Dillion 650 and it says to try the interactive configuration guide.   OKAY.   I'm game.  Select 9mm.  Then I get a pop-up window that says:

Quote from: Dillion

* XL Powder Die must be selected
* Extra Small Powder Bar must be selected
* Magnum Powder Bar must be selected
* Belted Magnum Powder System must be selected
* Instructional DVD must be selected
* Spare Parts Kit must be selected
* XL650 Casefeed Assembly must be selected
* Powder Check System must be selected
* Optional Roller Handle must be selected
* XL 650 Toolholder must be selected
* One Inch Benchwrench must be selected
* Dillon Die Sets must be selected
* Dillon Case Gages must be selected
* Powder Scale must be selected
* Primer Flip Tray must be selected
* Additional Primer Pickup Tubes must be selected
* Calipers must be selected
* Loading Manual must be selected
* Vibratory Case Cleaner must be selected
* Case/Media Separators must be selected
* Cleaning Media must be selected
* Rapid Polish 290 must be selected

Now if that's not enough to scare you off.   What are all these choices?   I don't want or need 90% of this stuff, why must I select it?

OH WAIT   After typing this far in my post I go back to the Dillion window.  Well, it didn't change.......ah....scroll down...there are all the choices.   <Back in a moment>

OKAY BACK.   Had to go through a bunch of choices to select which of the above options I wanted or didn't want. 

Whew.

Configured price before shipping, $770.60     WOW!   I'm not sure....let me load another 200 rounds the hard way.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk