Author Topic: FFL Inspection/interview  (Read 19755 times)

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FFL Inspection/interview
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
OK, I have an appointment for a inspection/interview for my FFL on Monday. I need to know what to expect. What are they going to look for? Besides a safe, what else would I need? I'm applying for my occupancy tomorrow, that should be just a formality. Not overly concerned, just curious.

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: FFL Inspection/interview
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
OK, I have an appointment for a inspection/interview for my FFL on Monday. I need to know what to expect. What are they going to look for? Besides a safe, what else would I need? I'm applying for my occupancy tomorrow, that should be just a formality. Not overly concerned, just curious.

Brian

Ever been to a proctologist?    ;D

Seriously though, I don't know...but want to wish you well and good luck with the process.
Keep us updated with how it goes.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »
Good luck, and like Peg said, keep us posted.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »
Yea I'd like to know what goes down as well! And good luck!!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:15:19 AM »
I know nothing of this, but one thing I have heard consistently on other forums is that ATF wants to know that you are planning a comercial operation, not just getting cheap guns for you and your buddies, since they want to limit FFLs to active dealers. Specifically folks report getting trouble if they ask for too little on transfer fees. (eg $15 is bad $40 is good  ::)). This applies to a kitchen table dealer more than someone one is wanting a shop or planning on dealing online or at shows. I think the idea is they MAY want to see a business plan of some sort. I do not know whether its true or not. I'm just throwing it out there. Use your own judgement and research to see whether its scuttlebut or real. Try PMing the FFL holders on the board.
Good Luck
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:31:20 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
What FQ said reminds me of what one friend said he did during the visit, and the set up another friend has for his FFL that he has had for longer than I've been around:

1.  Make it look as much like a business as possible - counter to do business on, phone (or phone area if you plan on using a cell) shelves, cabinets and safe all arranged so it looks like you are set up to control the sales and display area;
2.  Make the "business" area a separate area - one guy uses his home office, and the other uses his back entry to the home, but beyond being a walk through area it shows no evidence of being a personal living area;
3.  Do not have the business area in the same as your personal gun and supply area.  Keep personal firearms, ammo, accessories and supplies in their area, and the business in its (both friends keep inventories of their personal items in a file in their area to prove what is personal).
4.  Talk like this is a business. What is your business plan?  Where will you purchase and what margin do you plan? What will you charge for private transfers? and what is your record keeping system (ffl and business)?

The friend that has had his for many many years said he tries to keep his as if it were in a storefront downtown, and pretends it is not in his home.  That way it is easier to remember that it is a business, and not a personal toy box.

Good Luck!

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
I read you have to have a Youth Firearms Safety Act Posted, or any other State, Fed requirements available, preferably framed.
Your "business" area, needs to be secured against all other access and alarmed. You'll need decent safes, like ones made by Liberty, to secure your inventory. Local zoning must allow you to do this and you'll need to prove it to ATF at your initial compliance inspection. You'll probably need a phone dedicated to this business and you'll be required to post hours and a business name. If you're going to do the internet transfer thing you'll need to get hooked up with Davidson's and places like GunBroker and GunsAmerica with your FFL. You'll need to actually be available too. I've called several FFLs in my area to do transfers and I get attitude so they get no business. I don't mind paying $20 - $40 per transfer to someone that's polite, professional and available.

Check the ATF website also.

Just remember they are allowed to come back at anytime WITHOUT a warrent. So be nice. ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »
Any firearm not for sale, has to be marked not for sale. I just labeled my personal safes on the outside, " Contents not for sale "
and kept the firearms for sale in a different location. Much of the aforementioned is true, be professional, but tight lipped as possible, listen to their questions carefully, before answering. Make sure your paper work is perfect, that's the easiest to peg you on, your bound book and your 4473's. This could be too late, and I hope not, the instruction sheet attached to the 4473, has to remain attached, not thrown away, a lot of FFL's have been tagged with that one, although the instruction sheet has no info.

Never argue with a bureaucrat, call your lawyer before doing that.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
Well the interview was today, and went pretty well, I believe. I changed calling it an interview because that was all it was. There was no inspection at all. We sat at the dining room table the entire time. She was asking a few questions, mainly about how I was going to run the business, and how many guns I expected to sell/transfer.

I explained that it was going to be a true "kitchen table" dealership, with most sales generated on the internet or as special order items. I would have little, if any stock on hand, and that seemed OK w/her. She was more interested in making sure that I waas informed and understood the basics of filling out form 4473. What happens and my responsibiliies as far as filling out my part and calling NICS, and what to do in case of a deny or delay.

She asked about my safes, but didn't attempt to inspect them. Only noted number on forms. She did mention marking my personal guns, but only so that the inspector could readily identify them, so they would not be counted. She suggested tying a small piece of pink yarn to the personal guns.

Like I said, her main goal was more informative than inquisitive. She appeared more concerned that my local jurisdiction was going to allow this than that the ATF would. At the end, I asked her if anything that was said stood out as something that would fail me, and said no. But she did say that it would be out of her hands when she sent it to the supervisor. I didn't really know how to take that.

She said that the license would be issued 30-45 days after they make their decision. But said nothing about an appeal process. I'm taking that as a good sign. ;D

Brian

P.S. I almost forgot, she gave me a bunch of posters and such, but said they were not required to be posted in a "home". Only a place of business. I need to hand out the different brochures, but not post the paraphanalia (sp?). B.
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »
Well the interview was today, and went pretty well, I believe. I changed calling it an interview because that was all it was. There was no inspection at all. We sat at the dining room table the entire time. She was asking a few questions, mainly about how I was going to run the business, and how many guns I expected to sell/transfer.

I explained that it was going to be a true "kitchen table" dealership, with most sales generated on the internet or as special order items. I would have little, if any stock on hand, and that seemed OK w/her. She was more interested in making sure that I waas informed and understood the basics of filling out form 4473. What happens and my responsibiliies as far as filling out my part and calling NICS, and what to do in case of a deny or delay.

She asked about my safes, but didn't attempt to inspect them. Only noted number on forms. She did mention marking my personal guns, but only so that the inspector could readily identify them, so they would not be counted. She suggested tying a small piece of pink yarn to the personal guns.

Like I said, her main goal was more informative than inquisitive. She appeared more concerned that my local jurisdiction was going to allow this than that the ATF would. At the end, I asked her if anything that was said stood out as something that would fail me, and said no. But she did say that it would be out of her hands when she sent it to the supervisor. I didn't really know how to take that.

She said that the license would be issued 30-45 days after they make their decision. But said nothing about an appeal process. I'm taking that as a good sign. ;D

Brian

P.S. I almost forgot, she gave me a bunch of posters and such, but said they were not required to be posted in a "home". Only a place of business. I need to hand out the different brochures, but not post the paraphanalia (sp?). B.
Good for you and congrats! Of course there is the paranoid side of me that comes out when dealing with LEOs of any flavor (sorry Bulldog et. al., but Libertarian here). I would take her "suggestion" of a bit of pink yarn and the "optional" hanging of posters to heart. Tie the yarn and frame and hang the posters in the freaking living room or kitchen. Damn, they look nice. :-\ The point is she gave you, depending on your view of law enforcement, either two good pieces of advice, or two things to trip you up on on if you don't follow through. Me, I'd follow through, so the followup inspectors can say you've jumped through all the hoops.
FQ13 Who may be a bit paranoid, but I just have a fundamental distrust of anyone wearing a badge (translation a license to kill or imprison), carrying a gun and saying "I'm from the governmet and I'm here to help you".  I know its probably wrong, but its just how I'm wired.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk