Author Topic: ArmaLaser review  (Read 8533 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ArmaLaser review
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
A while back I purchased an ArmaLaser for my Kel-Tec P32 (see links below). Here is the run down….

After much searching and research I ended up buying it on Amazon.com for $105.25 shipped. After a 5 day wait it was in my mail box and ready to install. Installation was quick and easy. The enclosed directions did a great job explaining installation and operation, and I must say were very well done. The laser is easy to zero, and is adjustable for windage and elevation with the Allen Wrench that comes with the product. The laser is bright and measures in at about an inch at “across the room distances”. Like most lasers however, on the brightest of days, it will get pretty miniscule and be pretty darn hard to pick up.

The laser weighs in at 1.2 ounces with a double set of batteries installed (it only runs on two at a time). Battery life is stated as being approximately 4 months with average usage and constantly being set in the ready position. With the P32 weighing in at 6.6 ounces, this does add a sizable percentage increase to the overall weight, but come on…. we are only talking about an extra 1.2 ounces here. I will say that for the first day of carry, I could tell a difference, however it is negligible and after that first day you once again feel like you are just carrying a cell phone in your pocket. With the addition of the laser the gun still comes in at less then the weight then a P-3AT or LCP without a laser. With 8 rounds of defensive ammo (Corbon hollow points + rim lock preventer) and holster (Desantis Nemesis) the total carry weight comes to 12.5 ounces on my postal scale.     

There were two main reasons why I chose ArmaLaser over Crimson Trace (CT) or another brand. First, was the fact that it was more then $100 less expensive. Second, was that I felt like I would like ArmaLaser’s “Instant On” style of operation better then the CT style pressure switch. The CT style works fine for me on a gun that will allow me to get my full hand on the grip…. With the Kel-Tec, that’s not really a possibility. All the times that I have tried the CT laser on a Kel-Tec I felt like I really did not have enough control of the gun because of grip adjustments that I needed to make for the laser.

The ArmaLaser uses a “touch pad” inside the trigger guard for activation that senses your finger as you slide it into the trigger guard. I have average size hands/fingers and I’ve found that its something you really don’t have to think about… it just basically turns itself on when you put your finger on the bang switch. I really like this method of operation, and I think it is ideal for use on a concealed carry gun. The laser stays on for 12 seconds after activation. It can be immediately turned back on by touching the sensor again, or to keep it on continually you can just keep touching it to reset the timer.

This is where my only grip/area for improvement would be found. I would personally rather it not have a cut off feature (or atleast a longer delay – like maybe 5 minutes). Yes, 12 seconds is a long time in a dynamic critical incident (shout out – The Pincus), but my personal preference would be for it to stay on, at the risk draining the batteries, then have it possibly go off in a fight. There is a master kill switch on the bottom that can be toggled to turn the laser off and then back to a ready position, and I feel it would be better if that were the method of deactivation. However, for a laser on your concealed carry gun, those 12 seconds will most likely get you through what ever problem you are facing.

So whats the bottom line….. I am very pleased with the laser and would definitely recommend it. It’s a very high quality piece that can stand shoulder to shoulder with any other similar product on the market right now, but at a much lower price point. So far, I have carried it pretty extensively (even in rear pocket) and have also put 75 rounds of hot defensive ammo through the gun and the laser has not lost its zero. Additionally, the addition of the laser has done a great deal to add to the concealabilty of the pistol. It gives it more of a rectangular shape and makes it look nothing like a gun in your pocket. I am very happy with my purchase, and as long as there are no problems to come, I will probably also be putting one of these on my other defensive guns.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=8796.0
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=11618.0

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p32.htm
http://www.armalaser.com/Kel_Tec_P32_P3AT-KEL_TEC_P32_P3AT.html

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk