Author Topic: A Glock Mod Worth Every Penny  (Read 15585 times)

scott.ballard

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Think+Plan+Train = Survive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Glock Mod Worth Every Penny
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »
These came back to me from Robar last week.  The grip reductions are the best thing I have felt in a Glock for a very long time.  I was always skeptical and just gave in after talking with the Robar folks at the SHOT Show.  The grip angle is much better and I can actually get my hand around the gun completely.  If you have a small hand or just want to get a better grip on your Glocks, this is a great way to go.

Scott

There exists a law, not written down anywhere but inborn in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading but by derivation and absorption and adoption from nature itself; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice, not by instruction but by natural intuition. I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.

scott.ballard

• Liked:
Re: A Glock Mod Worth Every Penny
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Here are the other pics,

Scott

There exists a law, not written down anywhere but inborn in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading but by derivation and absorption and adoption from nature itself; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice, not by instruction but by natural intuition. I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
The stipling looks like it gives a good gripping surface. The grip angle looks better too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

scott.ballard

• Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
The stipling looks like it gives a good gripping surface. The grip angle looks better too.

Yes.  The stipling is great.  The G17 was an old 2nd gen frame which had been worn pretty smooth.  This helped save a very serviceable Glock frame.

The angle is very close to my 1911 pistols.  It points very naturally and is much more comfortable to shoot.

Scott

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:51:24 PM »
After getting such a great deal on my G21, which I refer to as a railroad tie with a trigger, this looks good to consider. The G21 has a BIG grip, and I even have big hands, maybe its the finger grooves, (not a huge fan), but a minor reduction would be nice in the overall size.

Thanks for the pics.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:45:17 AM »

Zman2005

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
Scott - Is there another handgun that has a similar feel?   I have thought about having my glock done, but I was always hesitant.  Any existing gun that could give me an impression of what I can expect would be helpful.  Thanks.

Johnny Bravo

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
Scott, how much does it cost?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."

scott.ballard

• Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
After getting such a great deal on my G21, which I refer to as a railroad tie with a trigger, this looks good to consider. The G21 has a BIG grip, and I even have big hands, maybe its the finger grooves, (not a huge fan), but a minor reduction would be nice in the overall size.

Thanks for the pics.

It made my G21 SF actually fit in my hand.  before this I always relegated the large frame Glocks to. "just fun to shoot."  I just bought a 2nd Gen G21 on Gunbroker which I am going to send off to Robar for the grip reduction and texturing.  It will likely be my new carry gun.  I like the idea of 13+1 in a lightweight .45.  Hate to say it, but I'm going to put the Nighthawk and the S&W 1911 PD back in the safe.

I have the same issue with the finger grooves on my 3rd gen guns.  It seems my fingers do not line up properly so the bumps would always hit the middle of my finger instead of splitting the fingers.  Very uncomfortable to shoot.

Scott

scott.ballard

• Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
Scott - Is there another handgun that has a similar feel?   I have thought about having my glock done, but I was always hesitant.  Any existing gun that could give me an impression of what I can expect would be helpful.  Thanks.

The closest way to describe it is that it feels like a slightly thicker 1911 with a flat mainspring housing.  The grip angle is almost the same to me.  I can't think of any production gun out there that has the same feel.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I too was extremely hesitant and put this off for years.  I made the decision this year at SHOT after talking with the Robar people.  They were really good about explaining the process to me.  It helped a lot because my reservations were around the potential for compromising the structure.
Scott

scott.ballard

• Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
Scott, how much does it cost?

To have the grip reduction and complete grip retexturing done on the 2nd Gen G17 and the front strap smoothing and grip reduction with retexturing on the G21 SF I paid $401.00 including shipping.

I chose the medium texture and it is a good feel.  I was able to feel the heavy at SHOT and it was just too coarse for me.  I was shooting in the rain this afternoon and had no trouble holding onto the pistol with the medium texture.

The actual pricing is available at www.robarguns.com  Here is a cut and paste of the Glock portion of the price list.  They do a lot more than what I had done.

Glock Grip Modifications

Back strap reduction, includes 3/4 grip texturing .......................................................... $165.00
Front strap reduction (specify with or without finger grooves)......................................... $60.00
Round out triggerguard ... $45.00
High grip modification ... $30.00
Beavertail fabrication... $175.00
Texture entire grip (no grip reduction)............................................................................... $75.00
Texture front strap only... $20.00
Texture magazine pad (no modification)........................................................................... $15.00
Magazine grip extension, supplied, installed & textured.................................................. $75.00
Grip shortening package (use compact mags in full size frames).................................. $275.00

Glock Gunsmithing Services
Forward cocking serrations (matches rear serrations) ................................................... $130.00
Smooth trigger operation (does not change weight)* ...................................................... $55.00
New trigger connector (decreases trigger pull to 3.5 lb.)*................................................ $40.00
Semi drop-in replacement match barrel (includes fitting)* ............................................. $260.00
Gunsmith-fit match-grade replacement barrel (includes fitting)* ................................... $300.00
Supply & fit Trijicon, XS, TruGlo or Meprolight night sights............................................ $130.00
Norton Special metal finish, NP3 or Roguard ................................................................ $170.00
*Test fire required (ammo not included)............................................................................ $35.00

I sent them stripped frames only, but I don't think that had any effect on the price.  They even fixed a gouge that the 2nd Gen  frame had in it and now it looks great.  It took about 7 weeks total to get them back.
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk