Author Topic: Ruger Revolver Action  (Read 23688 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Revolver Action
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:18:49 PM »
I got my wife a Ruger GP161 8" Blued for Christmas. She always wanted one, so she got it. We cleaned it and took it out, and the action would hang up every once-in-a-while. We brought it home and she took it all the way down to frame and barrel and scrubbed it, then oiled it, etc.
Now it shoots ok with only minor friction but no real hangups. It still seems like a really rough trigger and action, though.

I've read they need a real good breaking in, and lot's of folks get trigger jobs....how bad is this action?
Does anyone know a few polishing tricks that might clean it up?

Oh...photo included, of course....just of the gun. I have a great picture of her in her jammies displaying the gun in front of the Christmas tree, but I could never endure what she threatened if the photo ever sees the light of day. So...just the gun.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Revolver Action
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
JB, I've had great results, just polishing everything, and rounding the trigger to take off the sharp edges, I'm a Smithy who's favorite revolvers are S&W, but have had very good results with just polishing everything on a Ruger, I use cratex cylinders, and a buffing wheel to do this. You can use a dremel and felt wheels with buffing compound  to accomplish the same thing with patience. Stay away from the single action sear unless your willing to fail, and carry through, with either more research or sending it to somebody for correction. I don't mess with coil spring ignition systems, that means I don't  use spring kits, or shorten springs for a lighter pull, you either can't cut enough off for reliable ignition, and still feel a difference, or the spring kits, show a big difference, and won't reliably give good double action ignition.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »
OOPS! Where did I start this? I'm so confused...maybe they SHOULD send me to Iraq.

www.bluebone.net

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »
While sitting in front of the telivisor dry fire the gun. A couple thousand cycles should help. Ruger SA guns always need trigger jobs (possible exception being the New Vaquero). I have found that to not be true of the SP101s I own.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
I've had good luck with my DA Rugers...they do tend to be a bit rough. Unfortunately, the best Ruger mechanic in the world — Grant Cunningham (http://www.grantcunningham.com/) — has closed his waiting lists until he catches up. SIGH...this is what happens when we all start talking about a great gunsmith!

One other world class option would be Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision (http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/); he does my S&W action work for me and charges around $160 for a Ruger action job.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:27:07 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »
OK so Saturday we took the Ruger out to shoot. Had some hangups but it basically fired. The hangups consist of having trouble cocking the hammer or not being able to pull trigger DA. After awhile we put it away having fired only about 100 rounds that day.

Left it dirty and took it out the next morning. Could NOT cock the hammer or fire DA- no way to get it working without disassembly. Broke it all the way down and cleaned it all out last night and the action is working fine.

I guess if (or when) it screws up again we'll leave it dirty and send it back to Ruger. I dont' know if the bar is breaking loose or the pawl is screwing up or what.
Very disappointing.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »
Jaybeth,

Send it back NOW.  Having a firearm that you can't trust is not good.  I am a Ruger fan but ALL companies hit a clinker now and again.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »
Jaybeth,

Send it back NOW.  Having a firearm that you can't trust is not good.  I am a Ruger fan but ALL companies hit a clinker now and again.
I agree, except my problem is I live in New Jerksey... I can't ship the gun myself- illegal. My local dealer tells me I may need to get another pistol purchase permit to get my own friggin' gun back after repair. I'm going to talk to another dealer, but that's what we're facing.

www.bluebone.net

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »
Never heard of a GP doing this.  I have owned a couple and they have been 100% reliable. If you can not trace the problem to the ammo, I would for sure send it back!
Life Member of the NRA

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 06:26:49 AM »
I agree, except my problem is I live in New Jerksey... I can't ship the gun myself- illegal. My local dealer tells me I may need to get another pistol purchase permit to get my own friggin' gun back after repair. I'm going to talk to another dealer, but that's what we're facing.

What is the possibility of slipping into MD and doing it from there, even if it is from a gun shop?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk