Author Topic: Ambidextrous Safeties on 1911's... Good or bad?  (Read 17470 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ambidextrous Safeties on 1911's... Good or bad?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »
Here's my last word.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_178_29/ai_n15628947/

excerpt:

The Warriors include Kimber's new design for an ambidextrous safety. Typically ambi-safeties have relied upon an extension on the right side riding in a slot cut in the grip. This was the original Swenson design that has served well for decades, but is subject to damage and also provides a nice place for dirt and crud to gather. The other option came from Colt to avoid Swenson's patent, and used a longer sear pin with a slot cut in it to accept a corresponding area on the right-side safety lever. The drawback of this design is the risk of jamming the safety if the sear pin is damaged.

Kimber's new design eliminates both of those possibilities and uses a slightly longer hammer pin engaging with the right side safety lever internally. It leaves nothing exposed for possible damage and the operation is sure and positive.

They really did want to be able to hang lights on the guns and that was something Mr. Browning had neglected to provide. What they wanted was a basic 1911 very much like the original, with a few modern upgrades. What they did not want was a newfangled external extractor, firing pin safety or full length guide rod.

Marines seemed to think it adequate. Moreover, JMB, didn't envision light rails on his 1911's either, yet there they are.

Unless, I'm missing something, like abuse or otherwise harsh treatment of safeties, they can and do work. You right handers got the majority, and that's fine, but in many circumstances, not the 5000 rd a month folks, they provide a reliable option.

"and that's all I've go to say about that."  ;)

tw

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Chainsaw

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
Now I have a question; Being a lefty, and loving 1911's, does someone make a single sided left handed safety? Or, do I have to just keep swiping the standard safety with my right thumb as I use a two handed grip?

jim

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »
If you can't find one at Midway or Brownells, you could consider having one custom made.
Or just keep using your right thumb, you seem used to it, it might be your best option.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »
Now I have a question; Being a lefty, and loving 1911's, does someone make a single sided left handed safety? Or, do I have to just keep swiping the standard safety with my right thumb as I use a two handed grip?

jim

Heck, just pop for a left-handed 1911.   ;D  ;D

http://www.milehigharmory.com/portfolioDisplay.php?portfolioId=11

In all seriousness, Mile High Armory made some totally left-handed 1911's out of surplus Randall frames and slides. You might contact them and see how the safeties worked. The internal component might not have been a total mirror image of a right 1911. If that was the case, one of their safeties (if they had any left) might work. Other than that, custom might be the way to go, depending on what you can spend. I'm sure there are craftsmen out there that could do it.

http://www.milehigharmory.com/index.php

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
Condition 2 has always been ambidextrious-friendly....  8)
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:26:40 AM »

Chainsaw

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »
Heck, just pop for a left-handed 1911.   ;D  ;D

http://www.milehigharmory.com/portfolioDisplay.php?portfolioId=11

In all seriousness, Mile High Armory made some totally left-handed 1911's out of surplus Randall frames and slides. You might contact them and see how the safeties worked. The internal component might not have been a total mirror image of a right 1911. If that was the case, one of their safeties (if they had any left) might work. Other than that, custom might be the way to go, depending on what you can spend. I'm sure there are craftsmen out there that could do it.

http://www.milehigharmory.com/index.php

Do you know if they use the same magazines? I'm assumeing that many other parts are the same.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
Brownells, made the one I put on my S&W 1911...Had a gunsmith put in on, never an issue. Works great.

(From a fellow lefty, who just got used to the safety on my PPK/S, and some others).. ::)

But were in our "right" minds... ;D

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Chainsaw

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
Thanks! 

Any idea how many rounds the safety has survived?

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »
Thanks! 

Any idea how many rounds the safety has survived?

I must apologize, I had Brownells on the braiin, It is actually an Ed Brown part # 892 Blue Wide Style Ambi, I found the bag with the original safety, I keep everything. :P

Ed Brown Products
PO Box 492
Perry, MO 63462

http://edbrown.com/

Installed it about two years ago, maybe 1000-1200 rds. No reason, to think it won't "survive" a great many more.

The smith I used, just had to "shave" the right sight grip a hair, other than that, rock solid. Condition 1 carry no problem.

Col. Jeff Cooper.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Do you know if they use the same magazines? I'm assumeing that many other parts are the same.

The magazine in the photo looked like a regular magazine with the cut on the left side. That may have been for a photo only, but there are makers out there that make ambi mag releases for regular 1911's.....so I might assume (as much as I hate to assume) that it may work with a standard mag.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk