Author Topic: Anybody want to sue Academy Sports?  (Read 9425 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anybody want to sue Academy Sports?
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »
Not sure if this has always been their policy or if I am just noticing it, but..... I was in Academy today and noticed that all their "assualt style weapons" modern sporting rifles were wrapped with papers that labeled them as "only available for sale to individuals at least 21 years of age" -- even the dedicated .22lr ARs and the Remington 597 VTR (just a dressed up 597) were also designated as 21 and older only.  ??? ??? ???

*It is also important to note that this is occurring in a state where the legal age to buy a rifle/shotgun is 18, AND where the legal age to posses a handgun was just lowered to 18:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1864.0
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0

Now, I know that this is probably just their lawyers run a muck and that they are probably just trying to keep themselves free from litigation (although, if manufacturers are immune then I would assume they would be too), but this is without a doubt clear cut infringement. I guess if it has a pistol grip now then it is considered a pistol  ::) Good grief. This is outrageous!

Ranger Up and give these guys a piece of your mind:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=company/contact_form

Then give the NRA an ear full too:
https://www.nrahq.org/contact.asp
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Anybody want to sue Academy Sports?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »
They're probably being cheap and lazy as well. This way they do not have to keep track of how old you are and where you live and what the rules are for that location.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:34 PM »
In Minnesota an "assault weapon" falls under the catagory of handgun, so you must be 21 and have a permit to aquire.  I thought that might be your issue, but then I read the rest ...

Tom - Bring your rope!  We have a visit to make!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
In Minnesota an "assault weapon" falls under the catagory of handgun, so you must be 21 and have a permit to aquire.  I thought that might be your issue, but then I read the rest ...

Tom - Bring your rope!  We have a visit to make!

No Problem, I'll use the rope to hang the buckets of tar and feathers on the rail I'm bringing   >:(

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
so a company has to sell you something?   since when? 

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:00:24 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

Can you say "age discrimination" ?
I bet your lawyer can.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
That is actually perfectly legal.  Saying you are to old on the other hand would be illegal.( funny how that works)

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
Sports Authority has a similar policy, they won't let any one under 18 handle a firearm. Even if your their with your 11 year old to buy a youth model rifle. By their rules you can't even see if it fits your kid or not. I quit shopping there even though their prices were the best around by 10 or 20 bucks under the cheapest shop in my area. And I have quite a few shops in my area! ;D
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »

Explain to me/us why a company that expects us to lay down our hard earned cash would think we would have no problem with putting in their own level of restrictions.  I know a company in our area that did that with the number of guns a person could buy at a given time or how often they could buy.  They got the message when we spoke up, and they dropped the policy.  The same company also has a company policy concerning what accessories they will sell their AR's with.  I don't like it, but they only offer the guns in the configuration they want to sell ... Unlike Academy who wants to sell it, but only to a certain group not defined as special by the laws they are selling under.

Short answer long ... If they want my business they had better sell to all who are legal to buy and have the currency!  If they don't want to they need to get out of the business.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »
Which is exactly what you should do and make sure you tell them why you feel that way.

PS there is a federal law that sates if you buy 2 or more hand guns in 10 days from a ffl, there is more paper work they have to fill out .  It also has to be sent trait to the ATF.  I can't really blame some one for having a policy that would make it so they don't have to do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk