Author Topic: Hot sauces  (Read 13227 times)

Badgersmilk

Hot sauces
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »
Anybody make their own?  My favorite's always been "Franks".  The crazy thing is that brand is actually hotter in the northern states than it is in the south.  We've tried it in several places and agree it seems to hold true that it's just not made as hot for the southern area.   :-\  The taste is still great!  And doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the food.  :)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
Re: Hot sauces
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »

Franks is up on my list, as is Louisiana.  For straight out heat I go with the old generic Tobasco.  Outside of that I love to pick up the "novelty" brands.  Whoop Ass has really good flavor and lots of heat, but is hard to find.  Soon to be son-in-law gave me a bottle in a gift box model of an outhouse.  Everyone thought the outhouse was cool, and I loved the sauce.

Came across a hot pepper salt at a Christmas party last week.  It was really good, hot, and it didn't have the "sneeze factor" you get with a lot of pepper shakes.

As for heat, I have heard that many sauces and flavorings vary from region to region, but the norther tiers tend to get more mild stuff.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:56:17 PM »
Tabasco and Tiger Sauce. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:53 PM »
I generally stick with Louisiana or Texas Pete as a base and add to it depending on what it's going on.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Johnny Bravo

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:22:24 AM »
Awe Geeeez................I'll get back to ya!! :)
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:21:16 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
http://www.tapatiohotsauce.com/home.html

while not "hot" ( by my standards anyways, but I'm a bad judge as I like things HOT! )  it does have great flavor and is not vinger based.  I don't care for vinger on most things I want to add heat too.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »
It depends on what you want. For cooking, I go with Crystal. Its cheap, and relatively mild (eg forgiving) it also has a little sweetness to it. You put a few drops too many in a chile or a gumbo or an etouffe and you're not out of business. It is my go to sauce. For at the table for just heat, I go with tabasco or chotihula (sic) as both pack a lot of punch, though little flavor beyond heat (a pinch of cayenne pepper wll do the same). For a smoky taste, as in beef or pork, chipotle is the way to go. It is a back of the tongue heat so you need to be careful. First taste, it will seem mild. Give it a minute and you will feel it. As far as making my own, I have Datil peppers in my back yard. I put 4-5 of these in salad dressing/olive oil jars with the the metal pour spouts you see in Italian restaraunts, covered in dry sherry. These are great for seafood. Put them over a crawfish etoufe, a jambalaya, a fish chowder, or an oyster Po' Boy and you will see the light. Sweet, acidic and hot, works beautifully with seafood, particularlly shellfish. Serranos will work as well. Just let the whole pepper stew for a couple of weeks in the sherry before using.
FQ13

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
This place has a great selection. http://www.salsaexpress.com/ I've tried several and liked every one except the pure chipotle paste. They used to rate everything on a scale of 1-10 but they quit doing that. Too bad because I liked the number 5-7 hot sauces better than the higher ones.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »
here in Peru we make our own, but we use peppers that are not available (mostly) in the states. but anyway, when I lived in Texas my ex would make fresh salsa with Jalapenos. mmmmmm
sauce pan with
1 tomatoe
1 onion
4 or 5 Japs
teaspoon of salt
if you wish.. a little cilantro.
 boil for a about 8 minutes,
drop it all in a blender then strain into another dish..
or (my favorite) use mortar and pestal to grind it all up....
mmmmmmm
it's fresh and has no preservatives so it won't last very long.
but then... it's so good it shouldn't make it through meal time anyway.

here my wife makes a sauce that is awesome...
blend some peppers,
a little milk,
smoked cheese,
saltine crackers,
a touch of salt.
have to play with the mixture though, not sure how much milk she uses, just goes by texture.
want it to be thick but still be able to pour when it's warm. as it cools it thickens.
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

david86440

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 01:21:59 AM »
This is the one that I prefer. We buy it by the case, free shipping.

Recognized throughout California as the premium hot sauce, 
The Pepper Plant's line of sauces gets its unique flavor from a special blending of peppers, fresh garlic, and other fine ingredients to give it a tangy taste all its own. All these fine sauces are ALL NATURAL and contain NO PRESERVATIVES. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk