Author Topic: 1911 kaboom pics  (Read 16099 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 kaboom pics
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/06/25/1911-blown-up/

These photos are of a AMT Combat Government Hardballer 1911 pistol that fired a handloaded .45 ACP round that was overloaded with powder. The result is quite spectacular. The top of the chamber has been blown right off taking a considerable section of the slide with it.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
Re: 1911 kaboom pics
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
That had to be a heck of a charge but AMT isn't exactly known for quality.

We had a guy who double charged a .45 and shot it out of his Para. The gun handled the round O.K. but as it began to eject it blew the web out of the case, detonating the next round (or 2) in the magazine. It sent a bullet out the left side of the frame between the end of his thumb and trigger (and blew the base off the mag). Very lucky he didn't get hurt. The dumb ass then blamed the gun and wanted Para to pay him back for it. They rightfully said no (but offerd him a discount on a new gun, more than I would have done). We tried to explain to him it wasn't the gun but his stupidity and if he had been shooting a polymer framed gun we might be calling him stumpy. He never did "get it", but we've also never had to put up with him anymore, either.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
never seen a slide split like that before.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
If that would of been a  pistol with an unsupported chamber, it would of possibly damaged the shooter very badly.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »
If that would of been a  pistol with an unsupported chamber, it would of possibly damaged the shooter very badly.

generally on 1911, they blow the mag out of the gun when you do a over charge...  when its something like a glock, ( for the most part any top hung tirgger) it tends to chew up the finger real bad.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:50:21 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Note:  His fingers arent looking very pretty either!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Note:  His fingers arent looking very pretty either!

thats his thumb..  from the looks of wound it was cuased by the slide not the boom. 

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
thats his thumb..  from the looks of wound it was cuased by the slide not the boom. 

No, that's his left index finger with the cuts.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

Got to disagree TAB, Left index finger, (His thumb is mostly hidden by the gun) Looks like the piece of slide that broke off got him.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
Friend of mine's dad had an old (reloaded too many times) case blow in his Gold Cup and it blew the left grip panel off (split it in two pieces).
No injuries, but we all had to go change underwear.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk