Author Topic: Down Range Radio #102  (Read 15251 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Down Range Radio #102
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »

Episode #102 - March 18, 2009
This week, more on the Obama administration's move to restrict civilian ammo by canceling military brass recycling sales. Also, an orgy of cowboy leather, featuring the work of Nick Asadi at Tombstone Leather Products.
(LISTEN HERE)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Down Range Radio #102
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
It's about time!!!

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:50:45 AM »

Here is a slideshow of Michael's rig made by Tombstone Leather.

<a href="http://www.downrange.tv/images/slideshow_tombstoneleather.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.downrange.tv/images/slideshow_tombstoneleather.swf</a>

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:53:04 AM »
It's about time!!!
;D

;D

You should be in bed!!

elnor

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
Thanks for the Quick Strips coverage this week, Michael.  You convinced me:  Tuff has my order for strips in their queue.  ;D
NRA Life Member

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:24:41 PM »

dmv-sd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »
Thanks, Michael, for turning me on to Jimmy Thackery. Best version of Apache I've heard. Thanks for all the rest that you do, too.

conagher

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »
I sent the following to the Houston Chronicle last week:

"I’m weary of hearing about smuggling on the Mexican border, drugs coming North and assault weapons going South and that it's all our fault.  I’ll concede the drugs but I have a question:  Should I desire to begin smuggling semiautomatic rifles (assault rifles) into Mexico, where, pray tell, would I find one?  They have been basically unavailable since November 2008.  And none of the numerous manufacturers of these guns have any in stock.  Please analyze this for me."

They have printed my stuff before, but so far, not this one.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »
Conagher,

The problem I see with your post is calling semi auto rifles 'assault rifles'.  I'm sure you know this is absolutely incorrect.  Assault rifles have an actual definition of a 'select fire' rifle (semi and full or burst mode).  Now assault 'weapons' don't even exist.  Just a Brady fantasy.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
First, that is some great leatherwork. 
Second I liked the show and the emphasis around scenario thinking, options, awareness but...in some ways this seems to make a point of the tv show you were talking about and plays a bit to--if I am nancy pelosi--I say see we need registration and just like a car if you want to be a registered owner you need training.  You basically are making a case here that if you haven't been to Gunsite (or something similar and don't get me wrong it is high on my list of things to do) then you are not really going to be useful with that peashooter on your side....and gee, I better go every year or be in IDPA.  That says that most of us should be "aware sheep" rather than sheepdogs. 
I think the majority of the population that wants gun control measures do so generally because they would prefer to just be unaware sheep.  They don't want to walk into the convenience store and "know" (because we have outlawed them all) that no one has a gun.  The world is fallen and imperfect but their view is we can regulate it into perfection and it is somehow appealing because we all hate when bad things happen to good people. 
But my real point is the first one and I admit I haven't watched the show but isn't what you are saying fitting into the point they are trying to make...that the majority of gun owners don't have a sufficient level of training to use their weapon in a viable way?

tom

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »
You've ventured onto a piece of ground that we need to tiptoe around...the overwhelming problem here is that the need for training often gets shunted aside in the face of more immediate needs. If you are going to carry a gun for personal defense, or if you keep a gun in your home for defense, you have a need for training. That is the reality of the situation. Furthermore, the skills are perishable. We emphasize that over and over on the shows.

Your level of training dictates whether you will be an "aware sheep" or, indeed, a "sheep dog," to bastardize the Grossman terminology. An aware sheep is QUANTUMS better than the pathetic hordes who think they'll be protected by the police, by the government, by...I don't know...aliens. On THE BEST DEFENSE we've shown scenarios where the situation went south because the good guy drew a gun and escalated the situation. We've also shown scenarios where the good guy hesitated and because of that hesitation lost his life.

I've "died" a lot of times in "simple" convenience store robbery sims...all violent encounters are pure chaos systems, beyond prediction. Whether you live or die depends not just on your training but your mental flexibility, the ability to move from plan to plan to plan in fractions of a second. I believe that is a function of training. When I was training as a cave diver, my instructor hammered into my head over and over that the techniques I was learning, while basically simple, would have to be performed in just about the most terrifying claustrophobic environment a monkey which evolved from trees and plains could imagine — a coffin-sized pitch-black underwater cave, with the added incentive of running out of air. 100% right; 100% of the time. If you hesitated; if you panicked; if you hit it "pretty close" instead of 100%, you got to die. No deposit; no return.

When you look at an active shooter scenario, it's basically worst case...a crazy killer on a suicide run, lots of bystanders, panic, a staggering overload of often conflicting information confronting the good person. And at the bottom of everything is the simple question: "Can you 100% deliver the shot?" I don't know of any way to answer that question except through training and experience.

Every time I've advised a person or persons who wanted to get a firearm for protection, I've pushed hard on three points 1) how much are you willing to shoot. 2) how much are you willing to train and 3) what are your personal limits when it comes to defending yourself. I'm not saying that a person can't do an outstanding job of defending their home with a shotgun and minimal training; but that doesn't prepare that person for a worst case situation any more than a high school drivers ed class prepares your for a few 200 mph laps at Daytona.

And, heck, I haven't even touched on "stress innoculation!" I remember a SWAT training exercise we cooked up in mid-1980s. Officers had to run a pretty aggressive obstacle course before running onto the range. The first shot was 35 yards and the officer had to take cover behind a 3-foot wall. One of my jobs was as soon as the tired, winded officer drew a bead on the target — usually using the wall as support — was to tip the wall over onto the officer. Once they picked out the splinters, they never again "hugged" cover or used it as a rest.

I realize this is equivocal, but I hope it helps!

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk