Author Topic: EPISODE #12: Finding a Dropped Gun  (Read 15275 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
EPISODE #12: Finding a Dropped Gun
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »

EPISODE #12: Finding a Dropped Gun
We all hope and pray that someone we know isn’t involved in an active shooter situation, or any life threatening situation for that matter. While we might be comfortable operating most, if not all types of firearms, some of our friends and family may not want to have anything to do with them. The Best Defense began this season with a poignant questions regarding firearms: “what would you tell someone if you only had thirty seconds to teach them about firearms?” We go over some basic information we can pass along to those we care about which may make the difference if they are ever faced with this unlikely situation.

Airtime: Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Rerun: Wednesday, June 17, 2009

http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/episode12.htm

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: EPISODE #12: Finding a Dropped Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
It is somewhat appropriate that I am traveling home from Europe on the day that this episode is airing.

In some countries in Europe, there is certainly an attitude that if we don't talk about guns, make guns hard to get and stigmatized the entire topic of responsible gun ownership, that everything will somehow be fine.

We know better.

Last week, despite severe restrictions and regulation, a young man here in Germany killed several people and injured two police officers before being shot and killed. This is the first "school shooting" in Germany since 2002, as far as I can tell. Yet, the television has been non-stop full of politicians and "every day people" calling for further restrictions against gun ownership and access.... as if that will solve the problem.

In the US, the educational elite will have us educate our children about Sex, Drugs, Alcohol and Driving.... all in the name of protecting them from things that are potentially dangerous. I happen to agree that this is the right approach. I have always been frustrated, therefore, by the incongruent approach that the same people have to firearms. One the one had, they are dangerous. BUT, we mustn't educate kids about their dangers or proper use because that could encourage problems. I don't have a lot of tolerance for that kind of illogical position.

The segment that I did in this episode about the possibility of using a dropped gun found during an active shooter situation to protect yourself is, unfortunately, very real. In some utopian environment, the information might be unnecessary, but I strongly believe that knowing how to use a firearm responsibly in today's society is not only prudent..... it is necessary.

-RJP

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »

We know better.

-RJP

Sadly America does not. What you described as the attitude in Europe has now become the battle plan of the gun grabbers here in the U.S.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
“what would you tell someone if you only had thirty seconds to teach them about firearms?”

I would not bother. That "extra founded gun" would be put in my back pocket and serve the role of BUG/additional ammo.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »

“what would you tell someone if you only had thirty seconds to teach them about firearms?”

This is a revolver.  You have six shots.  Point and SQUEEZE the trigger.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:11:51 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
"In the US, the educational elite will have us educate our children about Sex, Drugs, Alcohol and Driving.... all in the name of protecting them from things that are potentially dangerous. I happen to agree that this is the right approach. I have always been frustrated, therefore, by the incongruent approach that the same people have to firearms. One the one had, they are dangerous. BUT, we mustn't educate kids about their dangers or proper use because that could encourage problems. I don't have a lot of tolerance for that kind of illogical position."

This has long been how I argued that the "It's for the Children" line was BS. And if it were about crime The anti's would go after violent offenders and the liberal judges that let them off.

This kind of hypocrisy frosts my a$$
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php/topic,5724.0.html

Olson, a member of the self-styled revolutionary Symbionese Liberation Army -- perhaps best known for kidnapping Patricia Hearst -- was released from a California prison after serving seven years, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said.

Myrna Opsahl, a mother of four, was depositing money at the Crocker National Bank for her church when she was shot by Olson's co-defendant Emily Montague Harris, according to court documents. Harris was sentenced to eight years; she served four and was released on parole in February 2007.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »

Learn more about the topic on this week's episode:
http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/episode12.htm

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
In the US, the educational elite will have us educate our children about Sex, Drugs, Alcohol and Driving.... all in the name of protecting them from things that are potentially dangerous. I happen to agree that this is the right approach. I have always been frustrated, therefore, by the incongruent approach that the same people have to firearms. One the one had, they are dangerous. BUT, we mustn't educate kids about their dangers or proper use because that could encourage problems. I don't have a lot of tolerance for that kind of illogical position.

+1,000,000!!!!!  I actually applauded the TV when I heard you say that on the episode and backed it up (I love DVR's) so my wife could hear it, too. 

PLEASE PUT THAT PORTION UP ON THE WEBSITE.  I really want to be able to show a few people that--it just makes too much sense. 
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »

Date: 3/18/2009 10:04:09 PM
Subject: Best Defense

Michael,

The quality of information the show presents is outstanding.  This show
is the reason I subscribed to the Outdoor channel.  Shooting Gallery is
another of my favorite show.

I look forward to Down Range Radio every week.  I don't remember how I
came across the podcast, but after listing for some time it is top of my
list.

Keep up the great work

Aaron

DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »

Date: 3/18/2009 7:21:43 PM
Subject: Question?

Dear Sir, Could you tell me what type of strobe flashlight Michael Janich is using in his segments on the Best Defense?

Thanks, Vince

Dear Vince:

Thank you for your e-mail.

The strobing flashlight used in The Best Defense was the BLACKHAWK Gladius Maximis. The Gladius was the first tactical flashlight to incorporate a strobing feature to disorient an opponent and affect his depth perception and peripheral vision. It has been used with great success by law enforcement since its introduction several years ago. Here is a link to it on the BLACKHAWK web site:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Night-Ops-Gladius-Maximis-Illumination-Tool,994,40.htm

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Stay safe,

Michael Janich

DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk